Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicat_vag View Post
    Well, its the 30th, how did it go!?

VANOS, I think that is a term only used by BMW, but we are talking the same thing here, variable valve timing. AFAIK, VCDS is not needed for this, driven by oil pressure, assuming the new chains have been installed correctly.... hope you have done the 720 degree two turns of the engine test to make sure the marks all line up again, before putting the timing covers back on, bolting the gearbox back on, putting the engine back in....not finding the clutch still sitting on the bench under a piece of cardboard.....
    As crasher has already said earlier today, you really will need VCDS to recalibrate the throttle body (I presume that has also been taken off and cleaned carefully!?) (Engine, Group 60; procedure given on the RossTech website). You will no doubt need it for other things too (like EGR etc) if you stick with VAG cars...
    cheers
    a
    Hi there a quick update or not!!!!

I have got VCDS - thanks for the direction much apricated the help/guidance/assistance

I certainly jumped the gun when stating the engine was going back in on the 29th!!

Lower timing chain etc all back in place, cylinder head back on, camshafts back in - (gearbox cleaned up ready to fit to block later on with clutch LOL) on a roll all going great than BANG hit the brick wall

I went to install the Control housing assembly (containing the intake and exhaust camshaft adjustment vales) I spotted the small seal/screen missing!!!! Please see below for photo of the part number 2.

I have just been to my local Listers VW dealer and had the shock of my life!!!!!! they have quoted £XXXX + VAT for the Control housing assembly 'Sorry sir the seal/screen is not available as a separate part'

Well I have hunted high and low for the bloody thing and can NOT find it anywhere!! I feel a complete plum, done all this work to basically find out the car is now potentially SCRAP!!

I presume this part is CRITICAL for a couple of reasons: 1 Makes sure the oil is clean before the oil enters the control housing assembly. 2 Acts as a seal between the cylinder head and the control housing?

Photo of the part required:

golf 1.jpg

Ever hopeful

0 0 0

2. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    i dont recall seeing it when I did mine, but it was a while ago, TBH.
    Its not shown on camshaft timing chain; slide rail Golf/Variant/4Motion (GOLF) 2004 year Volkswagen EUROPA 109090
    which is the link to this pic:

timingchains.jpg
    Do you have a part number?

0 0 0

3. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

0 0 0

4. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    the latter one that has been blanked out is auto doc, sorry if this transgresses forum rules

0 0 0

5. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    i dont recall seeing it when I did mine, but it was a while ago, TBH.
    Its not shown on camshaft timing chain; slide rail Golf/Variant/4Motion (GOLF) 2004 year Volkswagen EUROPA 109090
    which is the link to this pic:

Do you have a part number?
    Hi there,

VW would not give me a part number for the seal/screen, the bloke said 'Its not a separate part therefore there is no part number'

It goes between the control housing assembly (part number 18 in your image) and the cylinder head, basically it is in between the 2 electrical valves when viewed from cylinder head side. My image is of the back of the control housing assembly. (I got this from the Bentley manual)

Thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    the latter one that has been blanked out is auto doc, sorry if this transgresses forum rules
    Completely understand, item 13a is the seal in the outer casing.

Thanks so mush for looking, I have just created a erWin account (as per Crashers earlier comment) going to do 24 hour subscription tomorrow morning

0 0 0

7. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    ah, so its the camshaft bridge066109210AC

then...

U sure the screen/thing, its not on ur garage floor, parts wash tub, fallen into sump,.....?
    Its probably light green, just guessing tho...

Breaker's yard scanning for you my friend! Or fashion one yourself!

a

0 0 0

8. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    maybe crasher will have a suggestion?! As far as I can figure, screen maybe protects the two sensor ends of the valves from large oil pressure fluctuations, but that is mostly conjecture on my part... dont recall ever looking at it...so dont put too much stock on that opinion...
    Dont give up on VW, y'ar nearly there, and you already know how much fun the 2.8 is to drive!

0 0 0

9. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    ah, so its the camshaft bridge066109210AC

then...

U sure the screen/thing, its not on ur garage floor, parts wash tub, fallen into sump,.....?
    Its probably light green, just guessing tho...

Breaker's yard scanning for you my friend! Or fashion one yourself!

a
    I have double / treble scanned everywhere it could possible be

I don't mind fashioning one up, so I guess it must have some form of screen (fine gauze) and a seal round the outer edge.

I also guess the seal must be shaped as shown in the image I posted earlier? and it must be oil resistant?

Thanks for the help and searching for me

0 0 0

10. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    sorry, this would take me well into my immense "void of ignorance" but I do agree with your logic! My hesitation would be whether the screen is fine gauze or actually some form of diaphragm-like thing that is oil permeable, something like oil filter "paper"?

My instinct (note, instinct) says the former as it is probably a "lifetime" part, but you might be able to deduce things better as you have the control valves and bridge in front of you to peer into and figure where the oil channels are and thus how the screen might be working!

Seal, it will probably depend on where it gets put, i.e. does it have a channel to seat in, or is it just "put there"? I would have thought any appropriate O-ring of the correct diameter and thickness could be squished in... clearly not ideal, but as long as it will stay in place, and do its job....? ? pic of screen location ?

Other thing I would probably try is to contact vendors such as e c s tuning and see if you can get more info from them about the screen (i.e. what does it look/feel like?), but i'm guessing u probably already done that?! Ya never know, they might take pity on your predicament, even if they know they aren't gonna be selling u the part...?!

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast