Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All
    My 2008 Edition 30 with 92k on the clock developed a suspension knock, sounded like a drop link failure.
    I decided to embark upon a suspension refresh as with the mileage it seemed like a good thing to do.
    Sadly after doing so I still had the knocking, I didn’t realise the steering racks were weak on these so I decided to replace mine with a later reconditioned gen 3 unit.
    This cured the knocking, and all was well for a few weeks but then another knocking starts!
    I had the subframe out to do the rack so whilst out changed the Arb bushes to the poly type.
    I removed the drop links to try to isolate the problem and the noise disappears, the drop links are new lemforder items so I’m suspecting for some unknown reasons the poly bushes may be the issue.
    Ive not had chance to get the car back up to see if the rollbar is contacting anything but I can’t understand why this would happen anyway.
    sorry for the long winded post, I’ve listed what I’ve done altogether below just for info.
    Any advice is much appreciated, I’m at a bit of a loss, I’m considering buying a new Arb from Vw with the rubber bushes as it seems this is the area that is causing the issue.

Vwr spring and damper kit
    New Vw Topmounts
    New bottom ball joints, track rod ends, lower arm bushes, drop links.
    Recon gen 3 rack
    subframe dogbone bush inserts and new dogbone.
    subframe spacer mod and new bolts
    Arb bushes (poly)

0 0 0

2. Re: Edition 30 Suspension Knock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    What make were the poly bushes? Did you fit ALL new subframe and rack bolts? If it is the bar I think it is 1K0 411 303 BK Febi do a lovely kit under their number 45306

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: Edition 30 Suspension Knock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They were super pro arb bushes, all new bolts fitted to subframe and rack.
    I was under the impression Febi were junk from what I’ve read, is that not the case?

0 0 0

4. Re: Edition 30 Suspension Knock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I don’t know where you have heard that from. Yes they had a few PQ35 from consul bushes fail but that was traced to use on lowered cars which they were not clocked for. I have had a direct account with Febi for 30 years or so and use them as much as possible and hardly ever have problems and if they are out of stock (a common complaint at the moment) then Meyle. Recently I rebuilt my PQ34 platform Octavia 1 from front to back including a six speed conversion as part of his 200k mile birthday. Where I did not use Koni, Eibach, Poweflex or genuine it was Febi. We do a LOT of PQ35/46 full rear end rebuilds and it will always be a mixture of Febi, Meyle and genuine plus some Powerflex of course.

My question about the bushes was regarding the inner surface of the bush being knurled like Powerflex which helps retain the special grease but they copied that of SuperPro anyway and we sell both.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

5. Re: Edition 30 Suspension Knock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fair enough thanks for that, I have used Meyle in the past and quality seems good.
    I will do some more investigating, funny thing is the noise isn’t evident most of the time, does seem to appear when the car and weather is hotter.
    I took it out this morning over a mixture of roads for 20 mins and didn’t hear a thing, makes me think the movement is more in the poly bushes when they heat up but this isn’t normally the case.

0 0 0

6. Re: Edition 30 Suspension Knock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I havn’t fitted any SuperPro personally for a while but we still sell them and we don’t get any issues with them. If fitted with the grease supplied they should not cause noise.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

7. Re: Edition 30 Suspension Knock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So it looks like it was a creaking rather than a knocking, removing the drop links and twisting the rollbar results in the bushes creaking which transmits through the car and sounds like a knock.
    I purchased the Febi bar linked to, will see if I can live with the creaking first before dropping the subframe again and having to renew stretch bolts etc.

0 0 0

8. Re: Edition 30 Suspension Knock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Forgot to put this thread to bed but fitting the Febi arb complete with bushes cured this problem. This car was a pita and I’m glad it’s now sold!
    would not fit poly bushes to a road car again personally.

0 0 0