Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    My apologies for the tome, however tis a long story.
    Started car, drove out of gate, closed gates back to car EML lit.
    Got cheap but functional OBD reader to reveal code P0135.

One morning did not have to close gates, but drove straight off with no EML lit.
    Next morning had to close gates, and EML lit, code P0135.
    So it seems whilst idling from cold it faults, but not when quickly warmed up by driving.

Must point out this car is my works runner and now on 120,000 miles. So i purchased the correct sensor from ebay and fitted it, hoping to cure the fault. Nope still occurs.
    Subsequently i have also receives a P0140 code to add to my tally

Did some research, good or bad i do not know, and i am a buffon with a multimeter!.
    Sensor 1
    five wire wide band linear.
    Yellow = Heater -
    Blue = Heater +
    Grey = Vs + ?
    White = Lp + ?
    Black = Vs/Lp common (-)?.
    So using my barely adequate elec fault finding skills i measured resistance between the Yellow and Blue wires and got 3.2 ohms seemingly good if my research correct.
    Now on the ECU side i should be able to measure around 4.5v DC on the corresponding heater pins, but i only got 1.93v DC.
    I should also be able to read around 1.5v DC on the supply feed on the ECU side. I do not know how to do this?

Back to P0140
    4 wire Zirconia
    Black = Signal
    Grey = Ground (earth ?)
    2x whit wires = Heater.

Measured resistance between white wires and got 3.2 Ohms.
    Measured on the Ecu side of pins and only got 1.93v DC (same as sensor 1??)
    Again i have no idea how to test the voltage supply of the feed on the ECU side.?

An appalling amount of information i know, however i have no leaks in vacuum hoses, as far as i can see no leaks in the exhaust system. All cables to the sensors seem to be in good order with no corrosion etc.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated, however can you supply any electrical assistance like you are on Ladybird Book 1 of auto electrics.

Regards
    Tony G

0 0 0

2. Re: POLO 2004 1.4 PETROL Engine Code BBY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    16519 (P0135) - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1; Heating Circuit - Malfunction - Intermittent

So you have replaced the pre cat Lambda sensor? What did you fit?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: POLO 2004 1.4 PETROL Engine Code BBY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher
    Well it was not an ebay item as i stated earlier. I sourced one from an online parts supplier, who for the life of me i cannot recall. I thought i would go for a mid priced one. It came with a 2 yr warranty so plumped for it.
    The original was an NTK with the VAG part number on it. I did see in another thread of yours that you had issues with differing resistance in the sensors. So my replacement sensor gave a resistance of 3.2 Ohms when i measured it, and having checked my original it gave 3.2 Ohms also.
    Considering the resistances are identical, i am wondering if the current to the pre cat sensor has dropped, so not heating up quickly enough?
    I need to check the volts to the heater element, from the wiring loom, and also what current is being drawn to the heater. If i have a poor or impeded current say, by damaged wiring then this might impede the heater warming quickly enough.
    Does it sound like i know what i am on about?
    Any how thanks for your response
    Regards
    Tony G

0 0 0

4. Re: POLO 2004 1.4 PETROL Engine Code BBY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have had some nightmares with getting aftermarket sensors to be accepted by the ECU which have only been cured with a genuine sensor and it doesn’t add up.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: POLO 2004 1.4 PETROL Engine Code BBY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well Gulp
    Probably cost more than the car
    Would you consider an NTK or Bosch make, or official VW only.
    Regards
    Tony G

0 0 0

6. Re: POLO 2004 1.4 PETROL Engine Code BBY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher
    Have bit the bullet and ordered an NTk LZA11-V2, if i replace like for like, then what could possibly go wrong
    Will supply further info when i manage to fit it
    Regards again
    Tony G

0 0 0

7. Re: POLO 2004 1.4 PETROL Engine Code BBY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Once I had a Passat 1.8T with is error code when I fitted a new sensor to replace a faulty one, the code wasn't there with the old one though. I fitted two Bosch sensors, checked the heater resistance and it was as per the book and the old one... bought a genuine sensor, plugged it in, code gone; I couldn't explain it.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: POLO 2004 1.4 PETROL Engine Code BBY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher
    So NTK sensor fitted, and fault cleared.
    Have started a couple of times from cold, and no EML appears. Cannot believe it really.
    I checked out the replacement that i fitted, it was sourced from RTG automotive. Dimensionally it was identical, and to be honest looked a well made item.
    Do not know what NTK trickery goes on in the sensor, but you called it with a compatibility issue!
    Many thanks for your assistance.
    Moral of the story, If you remove an NTK then fit an NTK!
    Regards
    Tony G.

0 0 0

9. Re: POLO 2004 1.4 PETROL Engine Code BBY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I remembered another one. My late father in law’s Rover finally fell to bits and as he liked that format of car I found him a lovely Seat Cordoba that actually had rear wheel arches instead of frills. The garage that sold it to me trade could not solve a running problem and as soon as I drove it I knew what it was, a missing thermostat. Bought and fixed it immediately said the Lambda sensor was dead, no surprise really to I took out the NTK and fitted Bosch and it was fine except for a tiny part throttle stumble, he never noticed it. After a few years at a service I thought sod this, fitted an NTK sensor and it was perfect.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0