1. Re: Loud Ticking Noise/Loud Engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I would recommend checking the car for fault codes. I am assuming you are out of warranty. Did you buy the car from a dealer or at auction/privately? If there is a serious fault and you bought the car from a dealer, less than 6 months ago, then you may well be covered by the 2015 sale of goods act.

0 0 0

2. Re: Loud Ticking Noise/Loud Engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The car is still under warranty so will be booking it in. Had a good listen today. The chattering noise which you do have to listen for appears to be coming more from the Passenger side of car which makes me think it’s the DMF. I do recall though many months back after I bought the car there was loud chattering noise when I started it one morning. I took a video and the noise disappeared when I selected Drive. Ever since that one morning the noise did not reappear instead once engine warmed up it was always the loud ticking noise which was there all the time. Got a number of videos of the noises and also the new noise I am getting.

0 0 0

3. Re: Loud Ticking Noise/Loud Engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    If it is gearbox end it could also be the cam to cam gears, especially VVT models but yours isn't

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Loud Ticking Noise/Loud Engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    I certainly would be inclined to first & foremost start checking alternator pulley & auxiliary belt tensioner a very common fault on the vw & skoda vehicles

0 0 0

5. Re: Loud Ticking Noise/Loud Engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Still trying to get car booked into dealer which appears to be a drama at the moment.. Today I noticed the chattering today got noiser when I switched air con on and noise decreased when switched off but still there. Also when the steering was turned either way when stationary or at slow speed the chattering noise gets louder again so could be the tensioner.

0 0 0

6. Re: Loud Ticking Noise/Loud Engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Now that points to Mickyes idea of the accessory drive being the problem, noises can fool even an expert ear due to the Doppler affect where sounds can change source just by turning your head.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Loud Ticking Noise/Loud Engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Checked my oil this morning and it looked rather low to me and not much above minimum. Not even 4 weeks since the car was in the dealer getting serviced and not even done 2000 miles either. Surely this is excessive oil consumption this cannot be normal surely?? When I bought the car not long after I did have to top up oil but put it down to the engine not being old and it will consume a bit more oil. But to be low in such short period of time there must be a problem. Won’t be topping it up as it’s going into the dealer this week (finally) to get a technician to diagnose the problems I am having and want them to see the low oil level. Car sounds awful and is getting worse to drive.

0 0 0

8. Re: Loud Ticking Noise/Loud Engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Good job it's still in warranty then! Not good that it's either using or leaking oil. It certainly explains why it's noisier if the oil level is low.

I once had a car serviced at a main dealer and the technician failed to tighten the sump plug. I woke up the following morning and there was 4 litres of oil all over our drive! These days any leaks are hidden by the undertrays!

Good luck and hope you get it sorted!

0 0 0

9. Re: Loud Ticking Noise/Loud Engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well had my car in the dealers the other day there. Well they came across the noise. The timing belt tensioner was leaking grease from the bearing. Bearing noisy and difficult to turn. The timing belt was also worn. So new belt and tensioner done under warranty. The low oil they seen no leaks and topped up. I wonder if they had topped it up properly with the service or not. Anyway car smooth, responsive and refined now quite a difference.

0 0 0

10. Re: Loud Ticking Noise/Loud Engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Good result and a potential bullet dodged there!

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast