1. Audi 3.0tdi fumes coming through A/C 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hello, I have posted about this in the past but not solved the problem and it is getting worse. In my 11/2006 Allroad, sometimes, but not always when I am slowing down and changing down gear at a junction for example I get very strong fumes coming through the A/C. If the A/C is turned off it never happens. It never happens except when slowing down to maybe 20 mph or so. I had thought that possibly one of the flexible exhaust pipes just down from the manifold may have split and leaked when the engine twisted in the opposite direction to acceleration, but all pipes are fine. The smell is of strong crankcase fumes, if you stand behind the car with the engine running there is very little smell. Recently I noticed that the oil filler cap is very oily and the six plates underneath the injectors are also a bit oily and I wonder if the fault is a blockage in the EGR system and the gases are being forced out into the engine compartment and then into the A/C input. The only engine fault code is on one glowplug, and that is intermittent. A while ago I removed and cleaned the hoses at the top front of the engine of gunk and carbon but that made no difference. Can someone say if there could be a possible fault with the EGR system which would cause high crankcase pressure to force its way out other than through the EGR system please? And if so what repair may be needed. Thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi 3.0tdi fumes coming through A/C 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    2007MY. If it was the EGR I would expect a low flow code. There was an issue with early cars on the breather unit, PM me your reg or VIN.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: Audi 3.0tdi fumes coming through A/C 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thank you Crashewr, it is: WAUZZZ4F67N073593

Other than that the engine runs fine and clean. 285,000km, engine oil and filters changed every 15,000km, it is fitted with a particle filter, we live in the countryside very rare town journeys no particle filter issues, I have owned the car since 2011.

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi 3.0tdi fumes coming through A/C 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    This MAY be applicable, TPI 2023971-1

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi 3.0tdi fumes coming through A/C 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thank you Crasher but that hose is dry and secured by a jubilee clip, I tried to send a photo reduced to 30% several times but the page seized up.

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi 3.0tdi fumes coming through A/C 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    20mph lack of airflow- maybe a bung removed from the plenumc chamber to prevent it filling and an injector seal?
    mine is like this but i didn't have an issue until i started towing - slower speeds, more load? who knows but i am pretty sure what it is - I need to get it sorted.
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi 3.0tdi fumes coming through A/C 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I think that it is just on the overrun, I changed the injectors myself and the issue was there before so I suspect the injector seals are OK and the duck billed drain on the plenum chamber is still there, so far I have not suffered water in the footwell, I think that the issue is there are crankcase fumes coming from the oil filler and possible some gaskets on the overrun when slowing down, caused an occasional blockage of the EGR system.

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi 3.0tdi fumes coming through A/C 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    so i think you have 2 issues - 1 the fumes and 2 the fumes gettign into the cabin.
    as the cause is escaping you at the minute, to stop the side affect and find where the fumes are getting in try this -turn the fan up full tilt and car on re-circulating. walk around outside and see if you can here hissing. I did this with our old land-rover FL2 when it came with what turned out to also be injector seals and it was funny- most of the door seals were letting air out but the main source was the steering column boot was out of its seat.
    oh just thinking common things on the Audi are the rubber stops that sit on top of the wing - continue the seal from the rubber at the front of the plenum chamber.

also just thinking if you run the car at night with a strong focused torch would it be possible to pick up the escaping vapor? what about a diy smoke machine?
    Stewart
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi 3.0tdi fumes coming through A/C 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Apologies for the late reply to your post Stewart, My mechanical efforts have been directed at my miscreant tractor.

I have done what you suggested, I don't know where to find a smoke machine. We had a day recently of 33C after a couple of hour drive I could see no escaping fumes, with my wife varying the accelerator, after a journey when we suffered fumes twice when I slowed to a stop at junctions. I cannot find a place where fumes can obviously get into the A/C. Some time ago I glued a strip of dense foam across the underside of the bonnet increase the effectiveness of the existing rubber seal between the engine compartment and the compartment which houses the plenum chamber and air inlet. On this car the steering column cannot leak fumes into the car, I did remove the column a while ago when I had to have the circuit box repaired, but anyway the issue does not arise when the A/C is off or on recirculating. The rain drain in front of the plenum chamber is in place and not looking damaged but I cannot block that as my car is parked outside. One odd thing I noticed bearing in mind I thought the problem was crankcase fumes and the oil filler cap was oily, when I removed the plastic engine cover the underside was completely clean, and I expected it to be oily and the top of the engine was dry except for around the six trapezium shaped plates around the injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by swwalker View Post
    so i think you have 2 issues - 1 the fumes and 2 the fumes gettign into the cabin.
    as the cause is escaping you at the minute, to stop the side affect and find where the fumes are getting in try this -turn the fan up full tilt and car on re-circulating. walk around outside and see if you can here hissing. I did this with our old land-rover FL2 when it came with what turned out to also be injector seals and it was funny- most of the door seals were letting air out but the main source was the steering column boot was out of its seat.
    oh just thinking common things on the Audi are the rubber stops that sit on top of the wing - continue the seal from the rubber at the front of the plenum chamber.

also just thinking if you run the car at night with a strong focused torch would it be possible to pick up the escaping vapor? what about a diy smoke machine?

0 0 0

10. Re: Audi 3.0tdi fumes coming through A/C 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    hmm clean up your plates and se if the oil comes back, you said you did the injector seals so you will know they leak out the side of the head, i wonder if the oil is diesel?

a smoke machine can be easily made :- FIND VACUUM LEAKS FAST with this $15 DIY SMOKE MACHINE - YouTube
    you mention the drain pug in front, there is one on the bottom i pushed out on mine worth a look on 7 zap to see if there are more you dont know about which are not there?
    Stewart
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast