Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Just bought a 2000 Passat 1.8 20v s (non-turbo)

1. Just bought a 2000 Passat 1.8 20v s (non-turbo) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone, so I came across a very low mileage Passat 1.8 20v s 38.000 MLS on the
    clock, decent looking for its age but there appears to be some loss of power after driving for a few mins. It's been scanned (by an Indy mechanic) and only got one DTC from it which pointed to the MAF sensor. I changed this and while it seems better it's still stuttering almost as if it's not getting enough fuel.
    It drives better with the MAF sensor unplugged (I know this is bad) he also mentioned a crankcase breather that may need replacing but I cant seem to find it's location on this engine (APT).

There doesn't seem to be much on these particular engines, most of what I find is related to the 1.8t engine.

I have replaced 3 small vac hoses,
    Fuel pressure regulator to TB hose.
    and the 2 small hoses on the variable manifold vacuum valve.
    And the mass air flow sensor is new too

Any thoughts

Cheers
    J

0 0 0

2. Re: Just bought a 2000 Passat 1.8 20v s (non-turbo) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Had a few of these in the family years ago and had a common fault on all of them. There is a small air hose, perhaps 10 inches long, between the underside of the air inlet "knee" going into the throttle body and something (a t piece I think) to the left of the throttle body. This would become soft with age and either collapse or split (underneath the knee where you can't see it) causing a strange surging of engine revs. If it is the issue I eventually realised a generic piece of hose does the job as well as the VW issued part.

0 0 0

3. Re: Just bought a 2000 Passat 1.8 20v s (non-turbo) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your reply👍

Will have a gander at that when I get a chance..... It's seems to be fine until it gets up to temp than sounds terrible almost like a 3cly with less power but it's not limp mode. There so many vacuum hoses on this engine lol.

0 0 0

4. Re: Just bought a 2000 Passat 1.8 20v s (non-turbo) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Regarding the crankcase breather, rings faint bells of it leaking and being underneath the inlet manifold. I had a VW Indie do it as it was beyond my skills, I think he managed by feel from underneath up on a lift.

0 0 0

5. Re: Just bought a 2000 Passat 1.8 20v s (non-turbo) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    The below link will give you exploded views and part numbers for the car.

Passat/4Motion/Santana (PA) 1998 year Group Parts Volkswagen EUROPA

0 0 0

6. Re: Just bought a 2000 Passat 1.8 20v s (non-turbo) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice one buddy. Appreciated, just need to find time in between work and kids to have good rummage 😂

0 0 0

7. Re: Just bought a 2000 Passat 1.8 20v s (non-turbo) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That link is brill mate, I did try a few online parts cats oemedc and Elsa win online but it wouldn't let me click on the individual parts.

So once again thank very much

J

0 0 0

8. Re: Just bought a 2000 Passat 1.8 20v s (non-turbo) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    If you google Zap7 it'll give you the home page, from which you can choose manufacturer, model, year, etc. It doesn't cover all makes or years and I've no idea where it comes from but I came across it when a site called VAGCAT disappeared and used it ever since.

0 0 0