Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Estate rear brakes dragging help.

1. Estate rear brakes dragging help. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Evening folks,

Anyone had any issues with their rear brakes dragging? . I have a 2012 1.6CAYC. Unfortunately the stickers that are in the boot and in the service book don’t have the code for rear discs setup. So I have been trying to find out what caliper is and it’s has been difficult. I had the rear right caliper replaced about 18 months ago along with new pads and disc due to caliper (rear right) seizing and wheel getting hot.

About 4 months after that, the wheel has been getting hot on most drives. I found a little fix online to adjust the cable via the handbrake. Seems to work only for maybe 50 miles and then it will stick again. My mpg would normally be 60-65mpg on a motorway run to work but I’m getting 40 if that.

I replaced the pads (brembo) recently as the Luther pad (non position side) has no meat left. The left side had no wear at all. I looked at the discs while I was there and they were fine. There wasn’t any Scoring, lips, burning etc. I checked the slide pins and they are free moving. The caliper handbrake arm seems to move freely enough although it is hard to tell as I’m not sure how it’s meant to feel. The piston wound in easy enough with no binding or anything like that. Same with the other side.

I had to adjust the handbrake as it was about 8 clicks and a little tough to pull. As if it would catch when pulling up. After a fight with the armrest I saw the compensator and it was hard over to the right side (offending side) so slackened that off and adjusted it and it now pulls in parallel (3 clicks). The bad thing about this is that the compensator is right on the end of the threads. The threads are protruding though the adjustment nut but only by maybe 2/3 threads. I’m not sure what this says. Any tigger and the wheels start drag even more. The left one now drags slightly too.

I did a wheel spinning comparison on the jack to see how much drag there was With the handbrake off the left rear would spin maybe for 12ish revolutions before stopping. The right however maybe four at most and stop fairly quickly too. I’ve even done this with the cables slackened off to make sure it wasn’t the handle end.

I’m stumped on what to do next. I think caliper is knackered but because the handbrake has been adjusted etc I need to start from scratch again. The left was fine before replacing the pads but now that gets warm too. I’m not sure if it was me with the rewind process or what. Would it improve if I wind the positions all the way out and back home again?

So I am now a bit lost.

Would it be possible if someone Can please tell me what the correct caliper is for my car (1.6tdi CAYC 2012 estate), the correct procedure in setting up the handbrake assembly and I guess pad fitting and resetting of the brakes. I’m competent doing the work but finding the correct way on the net isn’t proving very well. I have spend many an hour on the video site watching loads of videos to see if I have missed something.

Fuel bill is killing me especially now it’s 1.33 a litre and climbing.

Sorry for the read. But it saves the questions.

Many thanks

Ryan

0 0 0

2. Re: Estate rear brakes dragging help. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    PM me your reg. Do you have any details about which caliper was used?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Estate rear brakes dragging help. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am unable to send a pm. Website will not allow. Caliper wise I don’t know to be honest. I can’t see any manufacturer details so could be a non OEM brand.

0 0 0

4. Re: Estate rear brakes dragging help. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    It is probably a reconditioned unit and VAG don’t allow these aluminium units to be rebuilt, we will only fit new genuine or new TRW IF we can get them.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Estate rear brakes dragging help. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I see. Could you PM me so I can give you my registration details. I spoke to VW and they were not interested and wanted to change me labour to have a look which is a joke. I just need to know what the caliper code is for 272mm disc but didn’t want to know unfortunately. Thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: Estate rear brakes dragging help. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    The right rear caliper is VW number 5K0 615 424 which is a Bosch caliper, 0 986 135 203 with a 38mm piston and is cast iron so rebuilding should not be an issue even though VW do not list one themselves

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0