1. Golf 8 infotainment screen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I took my Golf 8 into the local dealership so they could look at an intermittent fault on the rear courtesy light. Whilst there they decided to carry out a software update which has managed to kill the infotainment screen. The dealership has now had my car for 7 weeks, and they're blaming VW technical for the delays saying they're taking weeks to reply to emails. I queried whether the dealership have tried replacing the screen, but apparently they are unable to without the go ahead from VW.

I was just wondering if anyone else's Golf has gone into a dealership and had the same issues as me? Whether that be with the screen, or the unfathomable delays.

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf 8 infotainment screen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    How old is the car? If it is relatively new and it has been off the road for most of its life then I would have thought you might have grounds to reject the vehicle and ask for a replacement.

I suspect the screen no working is probably a software issue rather than a hardware one and that is where the issue begins. VW mechanics (if we are still allowed to call then that) are not software engineers so they can only do what the factory tells them to do and it seems all too possible that they don't follow the instruictions precisely and effectively makes things worse than they were to start with. Much the same as damaging a computer by incorrectly install an operating system update. As someone who works in the IT industry, once you have made a mistake like that it can b a real challenge to rectify it, short of deleting everything and starting from scratch and that is alost certainly beyond the capability of a dealer to undertake

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf 8 infotainment screen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, I've had the car nearly a year now so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that.

I'm frustrated by the delays, but surely if it's down to the staff not being trained to fix these problems, a company the size of VW should ensure they are before launching something as radically different as an all digital car?

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf 8 infotainment screen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Yes after a year it will probably be an issue. I assume you have a loan car in the meantime. Quite agree that staff training is no doubt the big issue here and this will get worse as the mechanical requirements for servicing an EV are much less than for a ICE vechicle so it will be incresingly like taking your computer in for a service and this requires very different skills that dealerships will almost certainly not have yet sufficiently invested in.

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf 8 infotainment screen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They've given me a Polo to drive for the first 6 weeks, though they have now offered me a Golf 8 after I was sent a survey asking me to rate the service, including the repair they haven't done.

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf 8 infotainment screen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Mine went into dealer 14th June for travel assist and many other warnings/glitches/faults, they cleared a long list of fault codes blaming a low battery charge but couldn't clear the travel assist fault. I was told they need to order replacement parts to rectify travel assist fault presumably new steering wheel and wiring harness which were expected in on 23rd of June but didn't arrive now given date of July 7th. Just as well VW UK have provided a loan Golf for the duration.

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf 8 infotainment screen 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    At least the end is in sight for you, but I can't help wonder why mine is taking so long. I've emailed my complaint through asking if they'll escalate it as I'd already registered it, that was a few days ago and I've not heard anything since.

You did well to get a Golf out of them, I've had to put up with a Polo. Ironically they've offered to change it for a Golf this week when I'm laid up with a sprained ankle and can't drive 😒😂

0 0 0