Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 55 plate touran ignition or steering lock problems?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. 55 plate touran ignition or steering lock problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hi all, got in car this morning, key wouldn't turn to start. Eventually got going with a lot of jiggling, but not at all now. Have searched seems to either be tumblers, or something to do with steering lock. Steering wheel doesn't lock with key out?
    Can someone point me in the right direction as to where to start! Cheers Adam

0 0 0

2. Re: 55 plate touran ignition or steering lock problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Yes the lock units can jam; I have seen them where you can't turn the engine off. The way we approach this is to order a new lock unit genuine which comes with the switch 1K0 905 841 and costs £127.62 plus a new lock barrel 107 905 855 CF which is a Vehicle Intelligent Part and takes about a week to come through but is a rather unpleasant £203.78 plus you need two shear bolts N 905 845 02 at £1.54 each. If you decide to try a new lock in on its own AND the barrel will come out (often they won't) then you must handle the lock unit carefully as with the barrel out it can flick over internally and it is impossible to reset; I have had two from TPS like this where people have tripped them and sent them back for refund and TPS don’t know it is tripped, so make sure the box yours comes in is factory sealed and don't play with it! Once the new/original barrel is reinstalled then it is safe. The problem with fitting a new lock is knowing the barrel is not at fault and remember if you try and test the new or original lock with the barrel out, you will trip it and ruin it.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 55 plate touran ignition or steering lock problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks for that. Would this issue also cause the steering lock to stop working? It doesn't lock with the key out..

0 0 0

4. Re: 55 plate touran ignition or steering lock problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Just a week ago the key jammed when starting the Audi, and the starter motor remained engaged with the engine running, making a helluva noise.
    I forced the key back to the RUN position, but it would not turn to OFF. I stopped the engine by removing the smaller wire on the battery positive terminal.
    Luckily this happened at home, with the car in the garage.

I played around lubricating the lock mechanism without success, so investigated further. There are a few precautions which must be taken to get access to and remove the lock barrel, ignition switch and steering lock mechanism, so it is best to follow instructions. I have a Bentley manual which gives these in detail.

Having been obliged to remove and replace the lock unit on another car years ago, after it engaged while driving, I didn't want to do this unless necessary. It is held in by two shear bolts which I had to remove by grinding off their remaining round heads. This is awkward and messy, so I decided to check everything else first.

Removing the lock barrel proved that it was working perfectly. The cable operated interlock mechanism for the automatic gear shift was also OK.

I eventually managed to force the key back to OFF, which made a grinding sound. I could then turn it to ON and OFF, start and stop the engine, and also remove and replace it using force. Obviously a little more work was needed, as I couldn't trust it in this condition.

I then removed the ignition switch unit, which is at the far end of the lock unit, held in by two very small grub screws whose heads are sealed with red paint. The plastic casing was split at the drive end, jamming the insides. The key and steering lock function work correctly with the switch removed.

I ordered the wrong switch unit the first time, now waiting for the correct one. At least two different units have been fitted on my car, so best to order by the Audi/VW part number, moulded in the plastic casing on mine, which I didn't notice at first, and look carefully at any illustration. I have now ordered an OEM Meyle unit.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

5. Re: 55 plate touran ignition or steering lock problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thank you for that, I am by no means a mechanic but am happy to try to repair myself if I have removal instructions! I still don't understand why the steering lock is not working..would that pinpoint the issue? Seems like there are a few possibilities. Would you be able to pass on the how to remove barrel, etc? So I can at least make a start dismantling. Cheers!

0 0 0

6. Re: 55 plate touran ignition or steering lock problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    If the key withdrawn pin does not engage, the steering will not lock. To get it apart you have to remove the air bag, steering wheel, steering wheel slip ring (do not lose it position) and the column covers, then drill out two M8 shear headed screws.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: 55 plate touran ignition or steering lock problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad777 View Post
    Thank you for that, I am by no means a mechanic but am happy to try to repair myself if I have removal instructions! I still don't understand why the steering lock is not working..would that pinpoint the issue? Seems like there are a few possibilities. Would you be able to pass on the how to remove barrel, etc? So I can at least make a start dismantling. Cheers!

Sorry,, but you have a 2005 VW Touran and I have a 1996 Audi Avant. I'm not risking giving bad instructions, and I don't think anyone should work on a car without proper instructions, especially if they are not a mechanic.

There are Haynes manuals for the Touran for about £20 or so HERE which will probably cover your car. You may find instructions on line for removing the lock barrel.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23

0 0 0

8. Re: 55 plate touran ignition or steering lock problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Ok, thank you both. I will do it bit by bit and let you know end result. Apparently I have to turn ignition to on, and use paperclip to release barrel...does that sound right? Cheers Adam

0 0 0

9. Re: 55 plate touran ignition or steering lock problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad777 View Post
    ................. Apparently I have to turn ignition to on, and use paperclip to release barrel...does that sound right? Cheers Adam
    Basically yes, that releases the locking device for the barrel. But I have to remove the airbag, steering wheel, covers, steering column switches, and disconnect the key sensor ring before it is possible to actually get the barrel out. A 2mm diameter welding rod, chamfered at the end, or similar, is inserted into a hole which appears when the key is in the ON position. Also it only works with the thin spare key.

That's for my car. Best find the correct details for yours.

0 0 0

10. Re: 55 plate touran ignition or steering lock problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Ok,thanks to you both once more.😊

0 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast