Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Keeping engine clean (WARNING: EGR, Fuel Additives, etc)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Keeping engine clean (WARNING: EGR, Fuel Additives, etc) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We will be getting 2011 2.0TDI CFFB engine Passat by end of the week. The mileage is just under 100,000miles with cambelt (+water pump, tensioner, pulley) replaced as part of sale deal.

Previous cars have been '98 2.5TDi ACV engine T4 Transporter and '99 1.9TDi AFN engine A4 Avant, which I've done the usual things like EGR blanking, filling up fuel filter with diesel purge every year and adding at each tankful either Diesel Rhino or homemade additive (2 stroke low ash oil 250ml + cetane enhancer 2-EHN 50ml).

I realise 2.0TDI is more refined and sensitive than the late 90s diesel engine and I am much more environmentally aware now. SO I'M NOT DOING EGR DELETE, NOR ILLEGAL MODIFICATION OF THE ENGINE.

So my questions are:

• How often (either by time or mileage) should egr valve, intake manifold, and other components susceptible to gunk build up should be removed for physical cleaning? EGR and intake manifold seems to be at the front of the engine and don't seem to be too difficult to access for cleaning?
    • Do I need VCDS to prime the fuel pump after fuel filter change?
    • Does Diesel Purge at every fuel filter change and Diesel Rhino each tankful show any noticeable impact on engine performance? Do you use any of these?
    • What else can I do (besides sticking to regular service as per service book) to keep engine top tip? Any advice from first-hand experience?

Thank you and happy motoring!
    '11 VW B7 Passat Estate 2.0TDi CFFB (Current)
    '98 VW T4 Transporter 2.5TDi ACV (Previous)
    '99 Audi B5 A4 Avant 1.9TDi AFN (Previous)

0 0 0

2. Re: Keeping engine clean (WARNING: EGR, Fuel Additives, etc) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Keep going with the 2-EHN and JASO FB.

0 0 0

3. Re: Keeping engine clean (WARNING: EGR, Fuel Additives, etc) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    With a diyer warning, I can only advise not to periodically clean the egr and wait for a fault for risk of inducing faults. My 12plate Golf on alot more miles around 180k+ and still on original egr valve with no cleaning. I have lubed the rear roller which seemed a bit dry under camera inspection - which I hope improves drag which is one aspect of an array of potential faults. I have protected the egr also by using only the oem oil. The oils now for these engines have a C rating for ash and I have interpreted that as less gum.
    I have found three ways to run the in tank pump 1 using software such as vcds 2 jumping the appropriate relay terminals 3 turn the ignition on and off many times (pump primes for two or three seconds each time)

Fuel filter has a massive service interval i think its 60 or 80k on mine and I'd keep to that as long as oem filter is used. I personally have not used any fuel additives. Again all fuel parts still original. Mine has an oil extended service 2yr/20k which should be reduced upon professional advice so I do about 12k/14months oil changes.

0 0 0

4. Re: Keeping engine clean (WARNING: EGR, Fuel Additives, etc) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Thanks Gazwould, I recognise you from few years back when I had A4 1.9TDi. This was my experiment with 2SO+2-EHN homemade additive: Two stroke experiment.

But I'm not sure if I'm confident enough to put this stuff on a more refined, modern engine. I was quite happy to put them in AFN engine as it was my DIY learning car. I'm not sure if putting these stuff will mess up fine fuel lines and sensitive sensors everywhere in the engine. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Roverfan View Post
    With a diyer warning, I can only advise not to periodically clean the egr and wait for a fault for risk of inducing faults. My 12plate Golf on alot more miles around 180k+ and still on original egr valve with no cleaning. I have lubed the rear roller which seemed a bit dry under camera inspection - which I hope improves drag which is one aspect of an array of potential faults. I have protected the egr also by using only the oem oil. The oils now for these engines have a C rating for ash and I have interpreted that as less gum.
    I have found three ways to run the in tank pump 1 using software such as vcds 2 jumping the appropriate relay terminals 3 turn the ignition on and off many times (pump primes for two or three seconds each time)

Fuel filter has a massive service interval i think its 60 or 80k on mine and I'd keep to that as long as oem filter is used. I personally have not used any fuel additives. Again all fuel parts still original. Mine has an oil extended service 2yr/20k which should be reduced upon professional advice so I do about 12k/14months oil changes.
    This is an excellent advice, thank you. In the A4 engine the EGR was infact a simple pipe connecting exhaust and intake manifold (no cooling mechanism, even EGR valve was on a vaccum system!). The technological advancement on EGR since then is pretty spectacular and it looks much more complicated on CFFB engine. Hence I wanted to get a "fresh clean" start by changing fuel filter (+disel purge) and clean out any gunk in the inlet. But I take your point on not fettling unless needed.

Got some filters (air, pollen, fuel) and diesel purge. Picking up the car later today. The dealer promised and verbally confirmed that MOT cleared (failed on two illegal tyre tread; I'm expecting a second hand tyre), oil+filter change, and cambelt (+water pump and tensioner kit) all done at no addition to the sale price.

Depending on when I have the time, I'll have a good look under the bonnet.

Happy motoring!

0 0 0

5. Re: Keeping engine clean (WARNING: EGR, Fuel Additives, etc) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Used in the OM651 Stuttgart 2.1 biturbo for nearly 3 years now and all good .

mercedes-benz_om651.jpg

0 0 0

6. Re: Keeping engine clean (WARNING: EGR, Fuel Additives, etc) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got curious to what exactly JASO FB means so I did a Google search and an interesting page came up:

JASO Explained Part 2: 2-Stroke | MotoTribology

Cut & paste from the page:
    The general rule for the different performance levels is this:

• FB corresponds to high lubricity performance but without any low-smoke technology.
    • FC meets the FB lubricity standards but also is a low-smoke lubricant.
    • FD corresponds to higher detergency properties than the other two grades, meets the lubricity requirements and has low smoke requirements.
    Sounds like FD performance is better than FB?

0 0 0

7. Re: Keeping engine clean (WARNING: EGR, Fuel Additives, etc) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Yes on paper but the base oil is different as FB is mineral and FD is synthetic so FB dissolves into the diesel better .

0 0 0

8. Re: Keeping engine clean (WARNING: EGR, Fuel Additives, etc) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    I know my potion works .

Because I've had my 1.9 tdi diesel car in excess of several years and can look back at it's previous MOT smoke opacity test accelerations results .

And the latest is a fast pass single acceleration 0.21

Not bad for a 2003 Euro 3 .

0 0 0

9. Re: Keeping engine clean (WARNING: EGR, Fuel Additives, etc) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I know my potion works .

Because I've had my 1.9 tdi diesel car in excess of several years and can look back at it's previous MOT smoke opacity test accelerations results .

And the latest is a fast pass single acceleration 0.21

Not bad for a 2003 Euro 3 .

if the o/p dont mind.

Gazwould, can you tell me what engine code yours is and would that be a full rev by your mot station to 4k. (which i think is maddness to rev that much as you never do that in everyday real world driving, they should only rev to 70mph revs about 2600)

0 0 0

10. Re: Keeping engine clean (WARNING: EGR, Fuel Additives, etc) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    AVF , yes full beans .

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast