Notices

User Tag List

Thread: All windows stuck closed after being layed up.

1. All windows stuck closed after being layed up. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Passat B5.5 TDI 130 AWX. Car has been standing for 18 months. When I press the window buttons (all 4) you can hear a click in the door but the windows fails to operate. Am I right in assuming that the window rubbers have glued themselves to the window glass and if so is there a fix for this?. I've tried WD40 where the rubber surrounds meet the glass but without success.

0 0 0

2. Re: All windows stuck closed after being layed up. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Have to be honest, I've been driving/repairing B5 and B5.5 Passats for close to 20 years and I've never come across an issue with the rubbers sticking to the windows except when it's a really cold winter's morning. Is the battery fully charged?

0 0 0

3. Re: All windows stuck closed after being layed up. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Yes, battery fully charged. And car starts instantly. Next thing to try is taking the door cards off and belling out the connections to the switches. There's a bit of oxidation to the fuse board and rust on the surrounding bracket so will try contact cleaner on all the fuses.

0 0 0

4. Re: All windows stuck closed after being layed up. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Fuses 37 and 38 supply 2 x 12v to all 4 door control units, the earths are different for each door. Only other thing in common is the CAN Bus.

0 0 0

5. Re: All windows stuck closed after being layed up. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks. I will update when I've had the chance to whip the door cards off and cleaned the plugged connections. Moisture has affected the inside of the car a bit during the winter so I am suspecting a bad connection somewhere.

0 0 0

6. Re: All windows stuck closed after being layed up. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Moisture.........as in wet carpets on the LHS? Are there possibly issues with the central locking, interior lights, alarm, etc as well? Common problem is clogged drains in the plenium chamber (battery compartment) causing flooding in the interior which soaks the CCM under the carpet and damages wiring running front to back next to it.

0 0 0

7. Re: All windows stuck closed after being layed up. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    No moisture in the carpet adjacent to the convenience unit or the wiring loom. Central locking and interior and exterior lights all work fine though the screen washer does not pump water. VCDS shows fault code 01330 convenience unit supply voltage too low which makes me wonder if there is an issue with the battery.

0 0 0

8. Re: All windows stuck closed after being layed up. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    First off check fuses 11 and 44, they both feed the CCM. To be honest if the car starts I doubt it's battery, takes a lot more effort to turn over a diesel engine than it does to wind up a window. I would also check the multipin connnectors on the CCM for corrosion, I've seen whole pins gone before and also take out the PCB and check it for signs of water incursion. If it's been layed up for 18 months the water could have been and gone by now.

0 0 0

9. Re: All windows stuck closed after being layed up. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Yes, and its definitely an intermittent issue as just had the front passenger window working and now the drivers side window has stopped in the halfway open position and the inside is getting soaked by the weather!. I will get into the CCM when I can remember to find the right splined keys at my workplace. Last time I looked when the problem arose some years ago the CCM was bone dry inside as was the wiring loom which runs under the front passenger-side carpet. Fuses 11 and 44 are fine.

0 0 0

10. Re: All windows stuck closed after being layed up. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    As the drivers side window wouldn't wind up the interior got quite wet overnight but this appears to have sorted the problem as all the windows wind perfectly this morning indicating that there is probably an ongoing earthing or connection issue partially remedied by the damp atmosphere!. All that remains is to sort the non working washer pump and it will be ready for the MOT.

0 0 0