Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    New to the forum (great by the way) and hopefully I’ve posted this correctly!
    I’m hoping someone may be able to help with my current situation with my Passat.
    I’ll try to keep it brief!
    Had my Passat for 4 years now with only minor problems (had 51,000 miles now 97,000) but recently had a service which included a fuel filter replacement. All was fine until a few weeks after and engine cut out at low speed. Stopped, turned it over and off it went again. Ok for another couple of weeks and then same again, no engine management or any other indicators, started again and ok.
    A week ago it cut out again but wouldn’t start but had an engine fault garage message. I was at home so tried it again in morning no code so I drove to my workshop a mile away (joinery not mechanic!) it wouldn’t start next time I tried it. Coil light was going on after trying to turn it over and It had a glow plug 3 problem on handheld code reader, I decided to just change them anyway but it made no difference. My mate then plugged in his laptop and it had multiple fault codes! ( none of which I have to hand )
    Seemed like the dreaded injectors were the cause but he cleared them, did another check and it seemed to be a fuel issue he said.
    I went to change the filter first as the mechanic said it was pretty filthy when he’d done it. Turns out he’d snapped off the small pipe which goes down into filter and the filter wasn’t connected to the top cap of housing!
    I got a replacement from the scrappy fitted it and put new filter in (filled with fuel) and tried to start her up. Same problem it ran for about a minute then coil light flashing and it cut out.
    My question is could the fact that the fuel seemed to be going in unfiltered for a few weeks have caused a problem with the injectors?
    I realise this has been a bit long winded but I’m not really clued up on newer engines! I did a lot of my own repairs many years ago (53 now)
    When things were way easier and it was mainly simpler mechanics to get your head around. I even bought a new motorbike a few years ago which is a Yamaha xt660 because it is a simple single pot without an ECU or engine management, ABS or complex wiring so I could tinker with it myself!
    Sorry for the essay but hope someone may be able she’d some light on it 👍🏻

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat B6 2.0 BKP problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Then there's the planned obsolescence 77mm oil pump drive to fix .

0 0 0

3. Re: Passat B6 2.0 BKP problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    The filter would still be fairly close to the filter lid even when not pushed onto the draw pipe but if the diesel is particularly dirty then some small particles may have made their way to the injectors. There is a sock filter attached to the in tank fuel draw pump so some filtering still performed. Incidentally if a low fuel level is maintained on cars with in tank draw pumps, they have a shorter life expectancy as exposed the 12v DC pump motor gets much hotter. Best to always maintain half a tank as the go to level. Failing or struggling tank pumps can cause cut out, poor running and no start situations. I would empty the filter housing and fill up with Liqui Moly Diesel Purge as it will help dissolve deposits that may be present within the injectors.
    A VCDS fault code scan and live data monitoring of injection quantities should give an indication of injector health. Also check the white sticker in the boot spare wheel well to see if the recall "injector and loom replacement campaign" number is written or marked anywhere as a lot of earlier 2005 / 2006 and 2007 engines were subject to faulty piezo injectors which should have been replaced under the campaign (the number escapes me at this moment 23H something)

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat B6 2.0 BKP problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks thats really helpful info! I think the engine is 2008 when I checked so dont know if they are still prone to the injector issues which I know lots of people have had problems with.
    Ill definitely try the Liqui Moly and check what codes are thrown up. I did think the pump could be a problem and priced one at 100 dont know if I can get one any cheaper if it is that. Got to be honest I dont always keep the tank 1/2 full so I expect that may have contributed to my problems.
    There is no sticker in the boot Id already checked for that so as far as Im aware the injectors havent been changed under the recall scheme. At 450 each Ill definitely try and exhaust other avenues first!
    Thanks for your input its really appreciated!

0 0 0

5. Re: Passat B6 2.0 BKP problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    The newer injector versions and upgraded loom eliminated the sudden and complete failure experienced with the earlier Siemens Piezo injectors but I only received my letter in late 2011 and had the car booked in within a couple of weeks. I do not know if all PD 2.0 engines were affected but it is possible that yours might not be subject to the 23H9 replacement campaign that mine was (March 2007 BMR engine).

I have had my replacements out for cleaning properly at around 150k when I did my valve stem seals which were leaking. Whilst I was in there I set the rocker tolerances so that the rocker finger strike on each injector is optimal. I also reset the timing when the belt was done at 185k which took a fair while using VCDS / VAGcom software. I'm still getting near 50mpg on a long run at 70mph and with 227k on the clock which for a 170 is plenty good enough for me. Idles at an even rate between 800 and 850 when cold and 750 when at full temp. Just need to throw on a 400 DSG clutch pack set and a 300 new Dual Mass Flywheel this summer. Will probably keep the car until it fails the emissions but it has gone through 3 MOTs under the rediculously low 0.5 VIN plate emissions value so far!

0 0 0