1. Re: Passat 1.6 TDI p0407 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So another day lol (I've got a couple of weeks before it goes to a garage)

So I've removed the wire harness that feeds the EGR and it's now more accessable on top of the engine, on first looks it doesn't look like it's the first time this thing has been removed (before me it's a bit broken on the clip). I have tried to check for continuity between the pins on the terminal and a slight incision on the loom wires close to where it feeds down the engine by the glow plugs.
    I was getting no continuity at all so I have stripped the terminal back and the 2 thicker wires that I believe power the motor (don't go to the circuit board) are really loose when just putting them on the pins to the motor?

Perhaps this could be my issue?
    I have bent the pins inside the terminal so they make better contact but I can't seem to test continuity as I can gain access the the actual motor inside the plastic housing(any ideas)
    So was thinking just to replace the terminal block or replace the actual wire terminal ends.

I have googled but no luck any ideas if you can buy the terminal? Or the metal terminal ends?

Cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat 1.6 TDI p0407 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    If you google "vw 6 pin connector" the connectors and pins should come up. Never bought any so no idea about Quality, perhaps speak to vw parts dept see what they have

0 0 0

3. Re: Passat 1.6 TDI p0407 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    For cars built 30-05-11 onwards the plug is black and VW part number 4H0 973 713 F, it costs £4.93, why they use a 6 pin plug for a 4 wire connection is confusing. The terminals can be bought from Wurth Buy Socket contact Micro Quadlok System (MQS) 0.63 online online in boxes of 50 at £77.36 or you can use the VW yellow 0.5mm²csa repair wires 000 979 025 E for the purple/green wire (pin 5) and the (conveniently) yellow (pin 1) and 000 979 150 E for brown/grey (pin2) and grey (pin 6) wires plus seals which I THINK are green 3B0 972 742 C.

For blanking off the two holes unused you will need to retrieve the seals from the old plug. If you need to extract a pin from the plug you will need the primary locking tool VAS 1978/16, you can use a tiny screw driver to imitate the secondary locking tool.

The wires SHOULD be crimped in with heat sealed connecters but I prefer solder if I have to use the repair wires, with heat shirk and Würth cloth OE look tape and then I tie wrap each side of the solder join to a rigid components to stop movement.
    Last edited by Crasher; 17-07-2021 at 12:57 PM.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

4. Re: Passat 1.6 TDI p0407 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    For cars built 30-05-11 onwards the plug is black and VW part number 4H0 973 713 F, it costs £4.93, why they use a 6 pin plug for a 4 wire connection is confusing. The terminals can be bought from Wurth Buy Socket contact Micro Quadlok System (MQS) 0.63 (055819022) online in boxes of 50 at £77.36 or you can use the VW yellow 0.5mm²csa repair wires 000 979 025 E for the purple/green wire (pin 5) and the (conveniently) yellow (pin 1) and 000 979 150 E for brown/grey (pin2) and grey (pin 6) wires plus seals which I THINK are green 3B0 972 742 C.
    Amazing information mate thanks it gets me on the right track.

my car was made June 2012 and it has a white EGR plug the holes on the front look like smaller than the black connector blocks? unsure if I can use the black one also I have 5 wires going into mine?

The connector definitely has issue's on the two thicker wires brown/grey & grey the other 3 I think are ok Green/purple & brown & yellow. but it does look as if the plastic around the pin hole in the terminal have worn down and are enlarged slightly.

Now looking more into this tonight I'm thinking the following

2 thicker wires brown/grey & grey directly feed the motor (one has 12v so i assume this is ok)
    3 thinner wires green/purple & brown & yellow all go to the circuit board that I assume motor's the position of the cog feeding that information back to the ecu (based on how much the push rod inside the EGR has opened some sort of resistance is sent back via the circuit board)

Now I can power the old motor and it spins via the harness by squishing the connector pins and just pushing them onto the old motor, but I tried this with the motor back in the old EGR and it don't have enough power to push that rod forward (The old EGR does not have issues with that rod sticking like other people post's it moves freely). So my deduction from that it's either the following.

Its not getting enough power but I have read 12v on one wire (well 11.92v?)
    It only works in a pressurized system (which kind of makes sense with the issues I have been seeing)
    I'm not sure

0 0 0

5. Re: Passat 1.6 TDI p0407 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    The plug is described as grey, private message me the REG so I can check the build date info as I can report errors. I can’t check the diagram until Monday.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Passat 1.6 TDI p0407 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The plug is described as grey, private message me the REG so I can check the build date info as I can report errors. I can’t check the diagram until Monday.
    Sorry yes its grey dunno why i said white?

Also forgot these things have part numbers on them, the part is

4HO 973 713 B

4H0 973 713 C, 1563487

This is the closest i have found to buy in the UK they mostly show the black version that don't have the notch on the side
    I'm not sure what the difference is between the C & B version of this?

0 0 0

7. Re: Passat 1.6 TDI p0407 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    ETKA FI Suggestion shows your car was should have the six pin black plug 4H0 973 713 F, ETKA ATP search shows that 4H0 973 713 B was not used on any Passat until 2015 and even then was for a TFSI air flow flap...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Passat 1.6 TDI p0407 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm cheers crasher

Why on earth would it have this plug then? Bodge job in the past?
    PXL_20210717_174400601.jpg

0 0 0

9. Re: Passat 1.6 TDI p0407 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I had a dig through my library and found a 2011 Golf 6 with a CAYC, the shot was from quite a bay back but blown up I can see that had a grey plug with a black cap so I think ETKA is wrong.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Passat 1.6 TDI p0407 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a dig through my library and found a 2011 Golf 6 with a CAYC, the shot was from quite a bay back but blown up I can see that had a grey plug with a black cap so I think ETKA is wrong.

Thanks for digging around bud you've been a great help

So I ordered that green connector in that link I posted and it came today but it didn't fit, but it did come with some new pins so thought I'd replace the pins in my connector on the thicker wire.
    Done job tested for continuity like before and got an instant beep was feeling very confident putting it all back together! And finally got it back to be able to turn it over.... Glow plug light yet again scanned and a pending p0407 fault.
    Trying removing the battery for an hour see if it reset the ECU but didn't work...

Then I thought in my previous testing I had removed and swapped over the electric motor on the EGR (new egr with old original VW electric motor).. thought my last and only option now is to change to the new motor that came with the borgwarner EGR.
    Swapped it over turned the car over and no glow plug light ?!!?
    Done that a few times took it for a quick 10 mile drive nothing..

I hope this is now fixed real test will be with it cold in the morning but signs are good! Thank god.

Edit cold test and still no error
    It still does have a slight blip when it's started and idle for a split second revs drop to about 900 then back to 1000
    Last edited by Patters1978; 22-07-2021 at 07:21 AM.

0 1 0

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast