Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Parking Brake Fault - motor or battery?

1. Exclamation Parking Brake Fault - motor or battery? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi all, having some issues with 2012 A3 1.6l MPI. Sometimes after applying the electronic parking brake, it flashes and won't turn off.

It used to happen infrequently, especially when charging my phone and using the heating. So I tested the battery which is at around 40% capacity voltage-wise. Now it happens almost every time I apply the parking brake, which is annoying as I have on several occasions held up traffic from being unable to turn off the brake.

The mechanic did a diagnostic that revealed the following 3 error codes:

C100B07 - Right Parking Brake Mechanism, Mechanical Failure
    C101E129 - Parking Brake Motors, Implausible Signal
    C10E1F0 - Parking Brake Motors, Opened Insufficiently

After clearing them, only the second code remains (till it happens again). He recommended I buy a new parking brake motor, what d'you think? Could it be the battery instead?

0 1 0

2. Re: Parking Brake Fault - motor or battery? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by locus View Post
    Hi all, having some issues with 2012 A3 1.6l MPI. Sometimes after applying the electronic parking brake, it flashes and won't turn off.

It used to happen infrequently, especially when charging my phone and using the heating. So I tested the battery which is at around 40% capacity voltage-wise. Now it happens almost every time I apply the parking brake, which is annoying as I have on several occasions held up traffic from being unable to turn off the brake.

The mechanic did a diagnostic that revealed the following 3 error codes:

C100B07 - Right Parking Brake Mechanism, Mechanical Failure
    C101E129 - Parking Brake Motors, Implausible Signal
    C10E1F0 - Parking Brake Motors, Opened Insufficiently

After clearing them, only the second code remains (till it happens again). He recommended I buy a new parking brake motor, what d'you think? Could it be the battery instead?
    I had some weird weird issues with my a4 and a new battery solved my issues. I would have your battery tested or if it’s over 2-3 years old it’s worth replacing anyways. I’m not the smartest person here by no means but when I come against issues with my cars I normally start with the cheapest parts first working my way up the list.

Remember to match the battery Rating and will be in AGM type glass mat

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 1 0

3. Smile Re: Parking Brake Fault - motor or battery? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adgleeson1978 View Post
    I had some weird weird issues with my a4 and a new battery solved my issues. I would have your battery tested or if it’s over 2-3 years old it’s worth replacing anyways. I’m not the smartest person here by no means but when I come against issues with my cars I normally start with the cheapest parts first working my way up the list.

Remember to match the battery Rating and will be in AGM type glass mat

Adam
    Thanks for your reply Adam, I'm sure you're very intelligent! Was your issue similar to mine at all? My battery was tested and was around 40%. I appreciate the advice. Tbh, the part my mechanic advised is around £50, and the replacement battery costs £115-140. It just passed it's MOT despite the fault, so I've got a bit of time to get the issue sorted.

1 0 0

4. Re: Parking Brake Fault - motor or battery? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I agree with Adam, a new battery. The AGM units fitted to stop start cars are failing at five years so if yours is on the original, no question and a 40% test basically says FUBAR.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 2 0

5. Re: Parking Brake Fault - motor or battery? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by locus View Post
    Thanks for your reply Adam, I'm sure you're very intelligent! Was your issue similar to mine at all? My battery was tested and was around 40%. I appreciate the advice. Tbh, the part my mechanic advised is around £50, and the replacement battery costs £115-140. It just passed it's MOT despite the fault, so I've got a bit of time to get the issue sorted.
    Lol intelligent… wife would probably laugh at that.. reading here is what taught me everything about Audi they are fickle “”””” but I love them

I never tested my battery one day it was just dead and the car wouldn’t start. After the battery was replaced all my weird issues went away.. Audi use canbus which is basically reading 0/1 or resistance and it would be my first port of call to move forward BUT I did say starting at the cheapest and that would be park brake parts. But … a battery is something your going to need very soon and if break down away from home can get expensive. Remember if doing battery to code it with vcds/obdeleven or match it exactly

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 1 0

6. Re: Parking Brake Fault - motor or battery? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adgleeson1978 View Post
    Audi use canbus which is basically reading 0/1 or resistance
    what is it that the signature of one of our distinguished members says? “50% of people understand digital, the other half don’t”
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Parking Brake Fault - motor or battery? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    The cambus ohms readings has to be 50 ohms ish

0 0 0