Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

I have a 2005 Touran SE 1.6FSI, engine code BAG.

The car is used most days but, intermittently, the battery drains completely flat, maybe once or twice a month but may do so on a few conecutive days and then it is ok for a number of weeks. When it goes flat, it seems to do so quite quickly, perhpas within an hour. I had the battery tested, including a load test, and was told that it was Ok. I had noticed the radiator fans runing, perhaps at medium speed, up to 15 to 20 minutes after the ignition was switched off. I am fairly sure , but not certain, that the fans were not running immediately after the ignition was switched off. I wondered whether this was key to the problem but other posts suggest that radiator fans running for up to 15 mins after engine stop can be normal.

Last week, the battery went completely flat again. The engine had not been started for more than 24 hours. I connected my 3 amp battery charger and I noticed after about half an hour that both radiatior fans were running slowly and that the battery had accumulated little or no charge. The fans stopped as soon as I discionneted the charger, probably because there was no charge in the battery to drive them. The only way I could get the battery to charge was by disconnecting it at the battery terminal.

All seems well again this week but I know that the battery will go flat again.

In case it might be relevant, the car has AC and "Climatic" cabin heating/ cooling controls. Cabin heating / cooling works well. There are no overheaing problems - engine heats up quickly, temture gauge stays rigidly at 90 degrees C when engine heats up regardless of traffic, road speed or outside temperature.

Any insights or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Aidan

0 0 0

2. Re: Touran intermittant battery drain and radiator fan running 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Early Touran's suffer fan controller failure, this is inside the main fan.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Touran intermittant battery drain and radiator fan running 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Mine went through a stage of doing this last year. Not the flat battery bit, but the fan running after shutdown for a considerable time before shutting off. Strange thing was, come out to the car after several hours, plip to unlock and the fan would start up. Didn't notice it over the winter and hasn't done it since the cambelt was changed, although I fail to see how changing the cambelt and water pump could affect it.
    1 person in 10 understands binary, the other one doesn't.

0 0 0

4. Re: Touran intermittant battery drain and radiator fan running 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher

I have ordered a fan controller on eBay for £37.50 plus postage - couldn't find one listed for the Touran 1.6 FSI but I am taking a chance on one listed for other VW 1.6 FSI of the same era with engine code BAG, specifically a Golf Plus 1.6FSI. I will update the thread when it arrives but I may not know for some time whether it fixes my intermittent problem.

Incidentally, main dealer told me that the controller was not sold separately from the fan assembly, fan assembly is no longer available and when it was it cost about £500 (probably more than the car is worth!)

Again thanks for the help.

Aidan

0 0 0

5. Re: Touran intermittant battery drain and radiator fan running 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply Hair Bear

Seems similar to my problem and likely to have the same root cause. You will see that I have taken up Crashers suggestion and ordered a fan controller. I will update keep the thread updated.

I like your binary quip (when I figured it out) and some of my friends (actually Vodafone technicians) liked it even better.

Best wishes

Aidan

0 0 0

6. Re: Touran intermittant battery drain and radiator fan running 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Assuming it has AC the fan is VAG part number 1K0 959 455 EA and VAG UK at Dorden have 20 in stock at £267.30; why do VW dealers talk such a load of ********?

Using that number it is easy to find the fan aftermarket from dozens of different companies even as the full assembly for less than VW want for one fan

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Touran intermittant battery drain and radiator fan running 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks, watching with interest.

0 0 0

8. Re: Touran intermittant battery drain and radiator fan running 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    So, a quick update, ran her low on fuel. Once the fuel light was on the fan refused to shut off and then must have run over night, (only the small fan) resulting in a flat battery again. Car was completely dead but the fan was still turning at about 5rpm!
    Anyhow put a slave battery on and the fan came up to speed - car started straight away. Run about a mile to garage, fan still running. Filled up, drove for about 20mins, switch off, no fan! Interesting. Drive for 5 min, shut off, fan running again. This carried on alternately all afternoon. Then the temp went up. The gauge normally never goes above 90, but this went up to halfway between 90 and red - no fan. Put the heating on full with interior fan on full and it came back down to 90 again. AC back on, heating off, and it stayed at 90, still no fans.
    So I'm looking at changing the fan pack but there appears to be lots with the same pn '1K0121207' but different suffixes 'AA' 'BB' 'J' ect! Any suggestions please?
    Update...
    That was last night. Went out today, 25deg outside. Marked both fans to make it easier to see if they're running. Put a bit of oil in, it wasn't particularly low but as I was there... Anyway started ok, quickly came up to 90 on the gauge, heating off, ac on full, and sat at 90 - no fans running with or without ign.
    Thinking on, recently had the timing belt and water pump changed. Could the water pump be an issue?

0 0 0

9. Re: Touran intermittant battery drain and radiator fan running 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    There is obviously something wrong with the fan controller, fit a new genuine or new aftermarket unit of which there is a wide choice, avoid used electrics… well anything used.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Touran intermittant battery drain and radiator fan running 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Cheers, I'll look into it.
    Just done a 30 mile trip, 26deg. 15 out on fast roads - needle on 90, no fans, returned on twisty slow back lanes, no difference. Still can't really understand why last night the temp when really high with a lower ambient (20deg)?
    Is this a rad out type or does the cowling slot out with just the four bolts?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast