1. 2.4 Audi A6 - battery dying slowly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My car battery seems to be dying after a week or so and I知 just trying to find out if my alternator is dying or if I知 just not doing long enough journeys.
    I replaced the battery after the old one was having the same issue, but that one was old and worn out. (Was losing half its charge even after being on a charger over night)
    On idle with the stereo and heaters on, the battery reads 13.8v, is that low?
    I only work 3 miles from home and takes 15-20 minutes to work because of school/rush hour traffic etc.

I am just trying to figure out if I have a weak alternator, or I知 just not running her long enough. It痴 a manual 2.4 A6 C6 Avant S-line Quattro.

0 0 0

2. Re: 2.4 Audi A6 - battery dying slowly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    Which make and version of battery?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 2.4 Audi A6 - battery dying slowly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can’t remember what the old one was as it’s gone now (Exide EA770 after some google imaging), but the new one is a Bosch s5(read 12.8 when I plugged the charger in so its full.. but battery indicator read 10%)
    Last edited by SlineQuattro24; 06-05-2021 at 10:50 PM.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2.4 Audi A6 - battery dying slowly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    seems to be a thing these days, i wonder if it is short journey syndrome, these cold mornings all the electrics will be on not giving the battery a chance to fully charge on a short trip.
    My own was the same - every few weeks she would need atop up, then i discovered i left my OBDeleven in the diag port, and the school runs kicked back, all is well again.
    there was also a post recently where it came up that a certain vintage of software gave a low output current on the alternator memory serves me right. but 13.8V sounds about right.

if you changed your battery the car should have been re-coded, you can get away without coding if it is like for like, but if the capacity was changed the car would need to know.
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0

5. Re: 2.4 Audi A6 - battery dying slowly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    I put a Bosch S5 in Mrs Crashers Polo and after going flat in two weeks four times I sent it back and asked for a Varta, On Monday it was 4 weeks and a day since I started it and it just started which is still not brilliant and I can't see an excessive parasitic drain.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: 2.4 Audi A6 - battery dying slowly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    did you check the date of manufacture, mate bought a exide 80amp batt from ECP and it was a year old.

probley a load of rubbish but i find if i turn everything off and then turn car off it starts better next day.

0 0 0