Hi

It's been a while since I posted in the forum, good to see it's still busy.

I took my 2015 Passat in to my local indy on Friday for a service and MOT. On Saturday morning I got in it and had a gearbox error, airbag error, adaptive cruise control error, none of the multifunction controls on the steering wheel worked and the flappy paddles for the DSG didn't work.

When turning the wheel, I could hear something within it, as if a lead had come loose.

I took it back to the indy today and they've done a diagnostic on it. This has revealed that the steering wheel control module has failed. They have quoted £388.90 plus vat to supply, fit and recode a replacement.

I'm a bit frustrated to be honest, and told them that it seems more than coincidental that this has happened after they had it in for a day. They have pointed to the fact that they wouldn't have done anything to the wheel during service and MOT, which I can understand.

Does anyone have a view on how common a fault this is? Are there any known reasons as to why this would fail? Having looked at the part that has been replaced, the ribbon within the module has come away from the contacts, causing it spool up like an old cassette tape might do.

Seems strange that something would physically fail without anything causing it.

Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alex