Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 05 Cordoba 1.4tdi new heat exchanger no heat!

1. 05 Cordoba 1.4tdi new heat exchanger no heat! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hey everyone, i had the misfortune of badly leaking heat exchanger on my 1.4tdi, it was looped out by P/O and i rejoined it and it flooded the car! so i have swapped it out for a new non o.e unit.

It appears to be leak free now from what i can see with it back in place.

I took the car for a test drive and the gauge on dash board reading 90C but my air from dash is lukewarm at best!

The two heat exchanger pipes are hot definitely hotter than the air being pushed out.

The hose from the thermostat housing is cold though im not sure if there is a thermostat in there maybe stuck open? will this have a large effect my heater?

The only other thing i can think of is the pipes to the heat exchanger are mixed up as i had to take a stab in the dark with them.

Please help i need heating its cold!
    Last edited by richiet90; 02-05-2021 at 03:42 AM.

0 0 0

2. Re: 05 Cordoba 1.4tdi new heat exchanger no heat! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Ignore what the gauge says, it lies. The pipes in and out will always be the same temperature due to the anti burst (well in theory!) top flow design and yes, a no/stuck open (as they are designed to do) thermostat will severely affect the heat output.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: 05 Cordoba 1.4tdi new heat exchanger no heat! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks ill buy a new one Tuesday and fit it along with my new coolant bottle my old one very dark! the hose never heated up so id say its not functioning and the car takes a bit long heating up.

Just on the pipe work the lower hose goes up to the right hand pipe on the heat exchanger. The upper pipe goes to the left on heat exhanger pipework.

Thanks

0 0 0

4. Re: 05 Cordoba 1.4tdi new heat exchanger no heat! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hey,

so i fitted a new thermostat febi 17888 supplied by local motor factors.
    o.e ref on box 044 121 113. hope this is correct for my car, my local motor factors can be useless at times.

the hose going to the thermostat housing gets hot now but the car still takes quite a while to heat up and its not a whole lot hotter from the vents inside car not sure why. Also the two metal pipes the bracket has sheered off completely and it also started leaking from the joint between the pipes and heat exchanger :-(

ive taken the pipes off and added another oring to each one (recommended on another forum)
    i also put some copper silicone on each end. Im really hoping it will seal up overnight and be ok in the morning.

if i didnt have bad luck id have no luck at all!

0 0 0

5. Re: 05 Cordoba 1.4tdi new heat exchanger no heat! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Just a quick update, the leak at the heat exchanger is stopped! Hooray!

even with new thermostat my car is still taking a long time to warm up? The fingers on the housing were broke off but i still managed to fit it, the heat from the vents is acceptable but not as hot as I believe it should be, the face setting has the highest heat output of all directional settings. Very confusing.

0 0 0