1. New Q7 with 22” wheels 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi all, my current 2018 Q7 was in its last year so started looking at renewal options with the dealer. Managed to get a deal on a new BE in Daytona Grey as well as C&S/Cockpit Plus/85l tank - and also 22” trapezoid wheels.

Coming from a S Line with 20” wheels, with no air suspension (think mine was literally before the options changed and the ‘50 TDI’ model ID came out, to a 22” wheel WITH (sport) air suspension am I likely to feel the bumps more, less or do they cancel each other out :-)

Anyone with any thoughts on ride quality with the 22” wheels and air suspension?

Just a couple of weeks to go as it was ‘on the boat’ when ordered!l. Can’t wait 👍

0 0 0

2. Re: New Q7 with 22” wheels 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon19a View Post
    Anyone with any thoughts on ride quality with the 22” wheels and air suspension?
    I was told that the tyres are low profile for the wheel above 20", which makes the cabin a bit noisier. Personally I don't like thin tyres on SUVs.
    I don't know about the air-suspension - if that makes things better (or worse) but some of the reviews says difference is marginal and avoid paying for it if not coming as standard. I'm getting mine probably beginning of the next week, with 20" wheel + air-suspension, so probably will be able to compare.

0 0 0

3. Re: New Q7 with 22” wheels 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I came from a 2016 Q7 with 20” wheels and air suspension to a 2019 model with 22” wheels on “sports” air suspension.

In comfort mode you can tell the ride is not as soft as the previous model but it’s marginal. I have never found myself thinking the ride is hard or cabin noisier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: New Q7 with 22” wheels 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deano179 View Post
    I came from a 2016 Q7 with 20” wheels and air suspension to a 2019 model with 22” wheels on “sports” air suspension.

In comfort mode you can tell the ride is not as soft as the previous model but it’s marginal. I have never found myself thinking the ride is hard or cabin noisier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks both it’s certainly one of those give it a go things but good to see that in one view the difference wasn’t huge if at all. I suspect overall the lack of air suspension today vs the large wheels tomorrow will practically counter each other! I think one area where air setup will make a difference is the roll and lean around corners and roundabouts. I’ve found if your going round one at a pace, you do use those side supports in the seat, given the weight and size of the car 😬😀😀

As for looks it’s all about taste isn’t it - I’ve always felt my 20s look a bit lost in the huge arches today, hopefully 22s aren’t too much in the other direction lol! I can’t see me going off the reservation and off roading much 👍

0 0 0

5. Re: New Q7 with 22” wheels 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I went from a 2018 car on 20" wheels with standard suspension to a 2018 car with 22" wheels and air suspension. There's marginal, if any, difference IMO. If anything, I find the air suspension in comfort mode better.

0 0 0

6. Re: New Q7 with 22” wheels 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fezster View Post
    I went from a 2018 car on 20" wheels with standard suspension to a 2018 car with 22" wheels and air suspension. There's marginal, if any, difference IMO. If anything, I find the air suspension in comfort mode better.
    Cheers mate for adding in - makes me feel a whole lot better.
    I love the look of the bigger wheels I just wanted to make sure the family didn’t hate me at the same time when they were on the inside travelling 😂

It’s weird I’ve seen some reports say air suspension is a must, others say it was an expensive add on. I had the same years back when I was driving a 5 series, in the end the dealer suggested it was a bit of a waste against every journalist who said it was a must have!

0 0 0

7. Re: New Q7 with 22” wheels 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon19a View Post
    Cheers mate for adding in - makes me feel a whole lot better.
    I love the look of the bigger wheels I just wanted to make sure the family didn’t hate me at the same time when they were on the inside travelling 

It’s weird I’ve seen some reports say air suspension is a must, others say it was an expensive add on. I had the same years back when I was driving a 5 series, in the end the dealer suggested it was a bit of a waste against every journalist who said it was a must have!
    I know exactly what you mean - on both the look of the wheels (the 22" just look so much better) and on the air suspension. Every review pretty much said you have to have it. I cant really tell the difference.

Admittedly, it's hard to compare against 18s non-air, though. Maybe without air susp, the 22s would be extremely harsh ... ?

0 0 0

8. Re: New Q7 with 22” wheels 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fezster View Post
    I know exactly what you mean - on both the look of the wheels (the 22" just look so much better) and on the air suspension. Every review pretty much said you have to have it. I cant really tell the difference.

Admittedly, it's hard to compare against 18s non-air, though. Maybe without air susp, the 22s would be extremely harsh ... ?
    Yep I think that’d be fair - losing that rubber is going to do something. Have you noticed any road noise? A lot of driving will be on dual carriageway etc. I know my 2018 car has great sound insulation though.

Also best watch those speed bumps and pot holes a little more carefully 😀

0 0 0

9. Re: New Q7 with 22” wheels 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I haven't noticed any significant increase in road noise.

Yup - also dreading the day the alloys get kerbed! Although, the tyres have a nice protective rim, which I think has already saved them on a couple of occasions going through an awkward width restriction.

0 0 0