1. Question How many tyres to replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks to an imminent LEZ (Edinburgh - 2022) I must sell our much loved and faithful C6 Allroad.
    But one of the tyres is blown and must be replaced.
    As I am expecting to sell or trade in this summer, I'd prefer not to replace all 4. Obvs.

They are all:
    245/40 R19 98Y XL - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - which was discontinued (naturally).
    Closest I can get is a Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5.

Q: Is it OK to mix?

Of the remaining 3, one has a noticeably more tread - c. 6mm - so I assume I would pair that with the new tyre.
    The remaining 2 have about 3mm tread.

2nd Question - put the deeper tread ones on front or back?

Thanks for any advice.
    Geoffrey
    Edinburgh, UK

Audi A6 Allroad 2010 - 3.0 tdi, etc.

0 0 0

2. Re: How many tyres to replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Since you’re just getting rid I would look to source pre worn tyre and try and match. As long as the tread depth across axle match it doesn’t really matter since I assume it’s 4wd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: How many tyres to replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1977 View Post
    Since you’re just getting rid I would look to source pre worn tyre and try and match. As long as the tread depth across axle match it doesn’t really matter since I assume it’s 4wd.
    Thanks for that. Not finding any Asymmetric 2s around. Plenty of 3s.

Think it is OK to mix a 2 and a 3 across the axle?
    Geoffrey
    Edinburgh, UK

0 0 0

4. Re: How many tyres to replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreyS View Post
    Thanks to an imminent LEZ (Edinburgh - 2022) I must sell our much loved and faithful C6 Allroad.
    But one of the tyres is blown and must be replaced.
    As I am expecting to sell or trade in this summer, I'd prefer not to replace all 4. Obvs.

They are all:
    245/40 R19 98Y XL - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - which was discontinued (naturally).
    Closest I can get is a Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5.

Q: Is it OK to mix?

Of the remaining 3, one has a noticeably more tread - c. 6mm - so I assume I would pair that with the new tyre.
    The remaining 2 have about 3mm tread.

2nd Question - put the deeper tread ones on front or back?

Thanks for any advice.
    We are getting the ULEZ in London late this year but I've calculated it's still going to be a lot cheaper to keep my car than get a <15 on Euro 5 although it depends on how much you use it and how much the daily charge is.
    I find mine wears fronts slightly faster then rears so new tyres always go on the front. I've run slight wear mismatched front to rear and mixed Asy5 and 3 front and rear but full tread and 3mm maybe a bit much on a quattro front to rear and definitely across an axle would be a no-no.
    As an aside I have Assy 5 245/40/19 allround and they are fantastic tyres IME but I'm considering switching to 17" wheels as the 19"s are just too crashy on anything but smooth roads which seem to be just getting worse and worse. Another option would be to sell the 19" as is as they are 'desirable' and put on some 17" and cheap tyres when you sell it.
    2011 A6 Allroad 3.0TDI

0 0 0

5. Re: How many tyres to replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C6Allroad View Post
    We are getting the ULEZ in London late this year but I've calculated it's still going to be a lot cheaper to keep my car than get a <15 on Euro 5 although it depends on how much you use it and how much the daily charge is.
    I find mine wears fronts slightly faster then rears so new tyres always go on the front. I've run slight wear mismatched front to rear and mixed Asy5 and 3 front and rear but full tread and 3mm maybe a bit much on a quattro front to rear and definitely across an axle would be a no-no.
    As an aside I have Assy 5 245/40/19 allround and they are fantastic tyres IME but I'm considering switching to 17" wheels as the 19"s are just too crashy on anything but smooth roads which seem to be just getting worse and worse. Another option would be to sell the 19" as is as they are 'desirable' and put on some 17" and cheap tyres when you sell it.
    Thanks for the helpful reply. I bought a set of 17" wheels from Germany - great aftermarket there for audi-compatible wheels- with some Nokian winter tyres, and I confess I always kind of welcomed the change over to them each November, because they were so much calmer on the cobbles of Edinburgh.
    Geoffrey
    Edinburgh, UK

0 0 0

6. Re: How many tyres to replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks for the helpful reply. I bought a set of 17" wheels from Germany - great aftermarket there for audi-compatible wheels- with some Nokian winter tyres, and I confess I always kind of welcomed the change over to them each November, because they were so much calmer on the cobbles of Edinburgh.
    Just put the 17's on and don't spend any more on it if you are set to sell it.
    2011 A6 Allroad 3.0TDI

0 0 0

7. Re: How many tyres to replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    You may be right. But wouldn't 4 good tyres and original wheels (plus the winter set - I am in Scotland, after all) make it easier to sell on privately? Hoping to get 8k+ for it.
    Geoffrey
    Edinburgh, UK

0 0 0

8. Re: How many tyres to replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    You may be right. But wouldn't 4 good tyres and original wheels (plus the winter set - I am in Scotland, after all) make it easier to sell on privately? Hoping to get 8k+ for it.
    Yes probably with a private sale as it would be one point you couldn't have the price haggled down on. 8k - I assume it's low miles?
    2011 A6 Allroad 3.0TDI

0 0 0

9. Re: How many tyres to replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    yeah - 79k
    Geoffrey