Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Audi A6 Diesel S Tronic - Best Fuel?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Audi A6 Diesel S Tronic - Best Fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hi. I have a Audi A6 C7 2.0 diesel S Tronic and wanted to gauge peoples real life use of fuel. Owned car 6 months now and pretty much used Shell V-Power Diesel whole time. Not tried any other and currently getting these figs approx

£20 - 100 miles town driving.

Iv read BP is quiet good along with BP Ultimate but thats just with an extra additive hence the price of ultimate. Any others i could look at the will look after my car and maybe get a little bit more mpg out of it?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A6 Diesel S Tronic - Best Fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I have been advised by a VW Audi independent garage to use nothing but V-Power. I am doing this even though my car only gets used for longer journeys (I am lucky to have the use of a petrol-engined run-around as well)

What the guys who write into the forums complaining about sooted-up EGRs and DPFs never tell us is which fuel has been used.
    Audi A6 Avant BiTDi C7 SE 2014

John

(The Beemer is a bike)

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi A6 Diesel S Tronic - Best Fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Please tell me the Cetane number of BP Ultimate and Shell V-Power derv .

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi A6 Diesel S Tronic - Best Fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Best thing to use is Lidl fuel with a healthy dollop of chainsaw oil. Last forever.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi A6 Diesel S Tronic - Best Fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    No snake oil is supreme .

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi A6 Diesel S Tronic - Best Fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I only use supermarket fuel been driving the precarious cayc crtdi last 5 years and no probs, neither on the pug 207 hdi previous 5 years.
    In terms of causing problems it's certainly a myth. In fact I stay away from shell/BP because fancy stuff is more likely to have bad batches

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi A6 Diesel S Tronic - Best Fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I personally use Costco diesel, averaging 560miles to a tank general running around and commute. 400miles to a tank when towing and 700 miles to a tank solely motorway miles. I've tried V-Power diesel, no different in MPG, noise or power from regular diesel. Supermarket Diesel I feel makes the engine noisier and slightly less MPG, found this on my current Allroad, my previous Avant and my Peugeot 407 2.0HDi (136) before the Audi's.
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi A6 Diesel S Tronic - Best Fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I have owned my A6 S-line Avant S-tronic Ultra since new in September 2014, and had periods of using shell v-power exclusively, and periods where I have used standard (mostly shell fuelsave) fuel.
    Here are my results (I record my mileage and fill-up amounts at every trip to the pumps):

V-power fuel (91 fill-ups): 51264 miles travelled on 5176.2 litres of fuel with an mpg of 45.0
    Standard fuel (113 fill-ups): 68494 miles travelled on 7032.5 litres of fuel wiht an mpg of 44.3

I would say that taking into account the uncertainty associated with the reuslts (e.g. different length journeys, ambient tempteratures etc.) this results in a negligible real world difference in fuel economy between v-power and standard fuel.

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi A6 Diesel S Tronic - Best Fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Diesel in the UK conforms to, BS EN590. There is no other standard for diesel with additional products whin it, so wherever you get it the supermarket or a branded garage it all starts out the same. Manufacturers build their vehicles to use fuel to this standard and to conform to any environmental measures in the UK. So any claims that a product is better than another because it has X Y or Z has to be speculation as they all have the same standard to meet. I have only used supermarket fuel with the exception of filling up when on holiday etc for over 15 years in various makes of car and never experienced any issues. As somebody has mentioned the additional products over the standard could cause issues as everything is designed around the standard.
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 1 0

10. Re: Audi A6 Diesel S Tronic - Best Fuel? 
    Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robes401 View Post
    I have owned my A6 S-line Avant S-tronic Ultra since new in September 2014, and had periods of using shell v-power exclusively, and periods where I have used standard (mostly shell fuelsave) fuel.
    Here are my results (I record my mileage and fill-up amounts at every trip to the pumps):

V-power fuel (91 fill-ups): 51264 miles travelled on 5176.2 litres of fuel with an mpg of 45.0
    Standard fuel (113 fill-ups): 68494 miles travelled on 7032.5 litres of fuel wiht an mpg of 44.3

I would say that taking into account the uncertainty associated with the reuslts (e.g. different length journeys, ambient tempteratures etc.) this results in a negligible real world difference in fuel economy between v-power and standard fuel.

Last 40k miles I've done 20k on Tesco diesel, and 20k on Shell Fuelsave diesel. I get about the same as you when using the supermarket diesel, but just under 50 (49.3) long-term as measured by the car.
    On a tank-to-tank comparison (brim to brim) over the same period, the Shell seems to give me about ~50 miles more per tank - driven in the same way, on the same roads across the same 1 year period (pre-lockdown).
    I will say the "sound" of the engine is very different on different diesels, so the additive package clearly makes a big difference (for instance on Sainsburys or Morissons diesel I might as well be driving a 2004 transit it sounds that clattery). Pretty much everything else seems to "sound about the same". I used the original vPower (which was a GTL fuel) in my last A4 and it was a revelation - but it was expensive at the time. Trials with the current vPower seem to suggest no meaningful change in engine sound or economy (maybe a tiny bit but 0.3mpg or something like that). Pretty much it's 750 miles on a tank of supermarket fuel, and 800+ on Shell (best is 870 miles on one full tank when a lot of the journey was an enforced 50mph).

HTH,
    Dan.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast