Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Allright...
    Time for another update here if anyone reads it..
    I ordered a EGR blanking plate, should be here tomorrow or so. But it doesnt look like I need it anyway. I just found out the final EGR tube going from the EGR valve to the throttle body is blanked at the throttle body end of the pipe (previous owner told me it wasnt blanked, just electronically coded to stay closed.) Didnt look like the blanking plate was needed tho as the pipe itself was completely filled with carbon:

Thats a LOT of carbon deposits!!

A homemade blanking plate and the gasket after a good clean with acetone. It did not look like it has sealed properly as the areas surrounding this pipe at the throttle body had a thick, oily residue around it...

It is also worth mentioning that after fiddling around with the EGR pipe etc, the horrible smoke appeared once again after a few days of "clean exhuast" so the throttle body+intake manifold might need a proper clean.
    I think the previous owner blanked this pipe and (maybe) coded away/disabled the egr valve electronically, hoping it would fix the problem he had with the EGR valve at some point.
    I also checked the turbo quickly and found what I believe could be about 1mm of play in it. Hopefully it will last for another few weeks. The flywheel sounds like a mess too, so might gamble on buying a used low milage engine for parts which is cheaper than a new turbo, flywheel and clutch... And if my HP fuel pump goes ill have another one+fuel rail etc....

What do you think? Bad idea?

0 0 0

2. Re: Chiptuned Golf 6 CBDC 2.0TDI smokes badly for periods 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So I really cant figure out whats up with this Golf. I removed the blanking plate and refitted the EGR pipe on friday. Didnt drive the car until today. Been on both long and short drives today and the engine has been smooth, no dieselsmelly smoke what so ever, nice idle at around 800 rpm and the turbo sounds alot healthier both at idle and during driving. If removing that blanking plate solved the problem, that should mean that the EGR wasnt electronically forced to stay closed, it was just coded to not throw CEL`s but it would actually open/close like normal even though there was no exhaust going thru it? Right?

I know there is play in the turbo so it will need replacing soon as well as the flywheel but the turbo whine seems to be alot lower right now. Could it be related to lower or higher exhaust temp?

So, as some of you mentioned earlier, if the EGR has to go, so does the DPF since they "work together", and if this fixed my issue I couldnt agree more lol.

0 0 0

3. Re: Chiptuned Golf 6 CBDC 2.0TDI smokes badly for periods 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Even though the fumes kill people?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Chiptuned Golf 6 CBDC 2.0TDI smokes badly for periods 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    " So, as some of you mentioned earlier, if the EGR has to go, so does the DPF since they "work together" "

That's not true, the DPF will work quite happily without the EGR working.

They work " together " in that only one can be active at any one time.

If there is an active regen, the EGR is disabled.

The EGR is there to reduce combustion temperature ( exhaust temperature ), whereas during an active regen extra fuel is injected to raise the DPF temperature.

You mentioned about cleaning the throttle valve which is a good idea.
    This valve needs to control air flow during a regen.

You also mentioned a fault in the throttle pedal which will need fixing.

0 0 0

5. Re: Chiptuned Golf 6 CBDC 2.0TDI smokes badly for periods 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philipharmes View Post
    " So, as some of you mentioned earlier, if the EGR has to go, so does the DPF since they "work together" "

That's not true, the DPF will work quite happily without the EGR working.

They work " together " in that only one can be active at any one time.

If there is an active regen, the EGR is disabled.

The EGR is there to reduce combustion temperature ( exhaust temperature ), whereas during an active regen extra fuel is injected to raise the DPF temperature.

You mentioned about cleaning the throttle valve which is a good idea.
    This valve needs to control air flow during a regen.

You also mentioned a fault in the throttle pedal which will need fixing.
    When my father had his Tiguan chiptuned, he got the tuner to code the computer to keep the EGR valve closed at all times, without actually blocking it off like someone did on this Golf.
    And we never had any issues with smoke or excessive regens. It seems like they did the excact opposite with the Golf by blocking the EGR without telling it to stay shut at all times. However, this should, as far as I know throw a check engine light which I never had. Ive driven like 150kms since I removed the blanking plate and havent seen ANY smoke what so ever after doing it. Im glad its all good now, but I really want to figure out what was causing this smokey mess.

RE the accelerator pedal. I disassembled it and cleaned it the best I could, unplugged the battery before doing it and reinstalled it and havent seen any flashing glowplug lights and no trouble codes ever since. So potentially, it could be on its way out, but if I see another fault code or any flashing lights, I`ll order a new one. But it`s fine for now..

0 0 0

6. Re: Chiptuned Golf 6 CBDC 2.0TDI smokes badly for periods 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So its probably time to do a little update. I read about others having the same issue as I`ve had with this stupid car after chiptuning and it turned out that if I unplug my MAF sensor the symptoms ive had with idle speed and the disgusting exhaust is gone! Alltough it lead to a lit CEL and glow plug light flashing the smoke was completely gone. So naturally I replaced the MAF even though the live readings looked OK with it plugged in but no difference. When I plug it back in the car still goes into stupid mode. And last night the DPF light came on! Will scan it for fault codes soon. Could all this be related to the DPF pressure sensor by any chance? Im so god damn sick of this car now....

0 0 0

7. Re: Chiptuned Golf 6 CBDC 2.0TDI smokes badly for periods 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update!
    Turns out all this was excessive regens as I expected it to be.. A fresh tune+DPF delete did the trick. The DPF was VERY cloggged.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123