1. Lane Assist Stays on ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi guys, new here ! I've recently bought a Golf Mk8 eTSI 1.5 Style edition and I'm having a problem with it (apparently, I'm not the only one ). When I get in the car I always deactivate the lane assist -because I don't like the way that the car jerks the wheel towards one direction - but every time I turn off and then turn on the car again the lane assist is activated once more. Is there a way to keep it turned off ??? Thanks in advance !

(I have DCC with profile selection if it makes any difference.)

0 0 0

2. Re: Lane Assist Stays on ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    The simple answer is no. If you insist on turning it off you will have to do it each time the engine is switched on. I don't find it too intrusive compared with the Volvo I had previousy which was very intrusive and difficult to steer the way you wanted. I think if you stick with it you will get used to it and find that it isn't as bad as you have first found it. It annoyed me initially but I have got used to it now. The default is on.

0 0 0

3. Re: Lane Assist Stays on ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thank you for your quick reply ! As for the answer, wow ! I sure hope that this will be addressed in a future update as I see no reason of being forced to use something that I don't want. I'll give it another go to see if I can get used to it like yourself but the initial impression was quite negative as it felt very awkward. Thanks again !

0 0 0

4. Re: Lane Assist Stays on ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NicolasCY View Post
    Thank you for your quick reply ! As for the answer, wow ! I sure hope that this will be addressed in a future update as I see no reason of being forced to use something that I don't want. I'll give it another go to see if I can get used to it like yourself but the initial impression was quite negative as it felt very awkward. Thanks again !
    The reason you are "forced" to use it is because that is how the car was homologated and cars can ony get a 5* NCAP rating with it active.

0 1 0

5. Re: Lane Assist Stays on ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsimcox View Post
    The reason you are "forced" to use it is because that is how the car was homologated and cars can ony get a 5* NCAP rating with it active.
    I would point out that the Volvo S90 that I had before the VW Golf MK8 NCAP the rating was 5 stars yet it allowed the lane assist to be perminently turned off so the NCAP rating you suggest doesn't seemed to have changed. I'm pleased that it was allowed to be turned off because it was overbearing and too difficult to live with whereas the VW version is annoying but able to be lived with in my view. I would add that the VW does allow you to turn off the front/forward assist which is reputedly a safety feature (it also seems to cause many false alarms/unwanted and automatic braking) so I suspect that many owners have turned off this 'safety feature' without any NCAP ratings problems that I have read about.

I suspect that that VW, in making the lane assist a default feature, have made yet another error with their software implementation which hopefully they will eventually recognise and rectify in a future software update.

0 0 0

6. Re: Lane Assist Stays on ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by airforced View Post
    I would point out that the Volvo S90 that I had before the VW Golf MK8 NCAP the rating was 5 stars yet it allowed the lane assist to be perminently turned off so the NCAP rating you suggest doesn't seemed to have changed. I'm pleased that it was allowed to be turned off because it was overbearing and too difficult to live with whereas the VW version is annoying but able to be lived with in my view. I would add that the VW does allow you to turn off the front/forward assist which is reputedly a safety feature (it also seems to cause many false alarms/unwanted and automatic braking) so I suspect that many owners have turned off this 'safety feature' without any NCAP ratings problems that I have read about.

I suspect that that VW, in making the lane assist a default feature, have made yet another error with their software implementation which hopefully they will eventually recognise and rectify in a future software update.
    Date of production will be key as to what was required for a 5* rating from NCAP. The EU is making Lane Assist mandatory in all new cars from next year (Press corner | European Commission) along with other features. I cannot imagine a situation where the EU makes something mandatory and then allows the driver to permanently disable it.

0 0 0

7. Re: Lane Assist Stays on ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    We have seen many proposals from the EU over the years and without examining them, I doubt that many have been adopted in their entirity when finally adopted The paper from the EU you quote is a Proposal.

It would have been more appropriate to mention that this 'legislation' was a proposal only and let us hope that is all it ends up being as the thought of autonomous vehicles fills me with dread. Better to wait and see what they finally come up with. The question has to be asked, as whatever we end up with, will only be a software update so why have VW jumped the gun if that is what they have done with the Lane Keeping Assist feature. If this is the case why have they not made the front assist default too?. The second question, as far as the UK is concerned, what will our position be on implementation. I know that different markets have different specs (much hated by the manufacturers) but it is up to them to build cars for that particular market so jumping the gun could well be counter productive so why do it? Oh, and by the way, it is imperative that that manufacturers (VW) ensure that any safety features such as this work as intended. VW have been shown not to be very good at this with the new Golf if the number of moans and groans on this forum are anything to go by.

NCAP scores/stars are also open to interpritation but seem to be quoted and relied upon by all and sundry but I am one who doesn't take their ratings as the be all and end all as they only apply to the particular model tested and therefore are not indicative for vehicles across the range, so can be misleading.

The document you kindly provided a link to was dated March 2019 and includes the following paragraph, "The political agreement reached by the European Parliament, Council and Commission in so-called trilogue negotiations is now subject to formal approval by the European Parliament and Council.The new safety features will become mandatory from 2022, with the exception of direct vision for trucks and buses and enlarged head impact zone on cars and vans, which will follow later due to the necessary structural design changes." Has it been approved yet and if it has do you have a further link so we can all see what has finally been agreed and what the implementation date will be?

0 0 0

8. Re: Lane Assist Stays on ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Approved 27/11/19 https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/...tive/safety_en

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 1 0

9. Re: Lane Assist Stays on ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    The thing that irks me most about the driver aids isn't them resetting every ignition cycle but the user experience of going to switch them off is a bit rubbish. The default graphical view (of the car on a road with various bits around it) when you go into the driver aids screen is awful and not terribly intuitive, would much rather have the more sober and simpler list of options with respective on/off buttons as the default view.

As for Lane Assist then I do occasionally find it slightly annoying, especially right near home where quite often you're slaloming around parked cars. On dual-carriageways/motorways especially though its probably got me out of bad driving habits. I'd often only indicate to change lane if another car was quite near me and/or closing quickly but always using your indicator means the system won't nag you that you're about to leave your lane.

0 0 0

10. Re: Lane Assist Stays on ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfr View Post
    The thing that irks me most about the driver aids isn't them resetting every ignition cycle but the user experience of going to switch them off is a bit rubbish. The default graphical view (of the car on a road with various bits around it) when you go into the driver aids screen is awful and not terribly intuitive, would much rather have the more sober and simpler list of options with respective on/off buttons as the default view.
    Agreed. That graphical view is only a middle step since you can't essentially change something from there. I wish they'll give us an option in removing it entirely in the future.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast