Notices

User Tag List

Thread: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Just wondering if anyone could offer some help and assistance please. The tailgate will not open. I can open it manually using the emergency lever inside the boot. I ordered a replacement actuator and fitted it this afternoon but I have the same issue and I still can not open the tailgate by turning the VW badge on the rear of the vehicle tailgate.

I have checked to see if there are any breaks in the wiring behind the corrugated rubber boot in the top left hand corner but no breaks are visible. There doesn`t appear to be a dedicated fuse for this function either.

I do not possess a workshop manual and have very basic electrical knowledge although I did carry out a check of the four pin plug that fits into the actuator and can confirm I do have a live feed with the brown wire I believe being the earth . Are there any other tests I can carry out to help diagnose the problem? The replacement pattern part actuator could of course be faulty but before I contact the seller I wanted to carry out as many checks as possible.

Many thanks in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You need a fault code scan of the convenience system.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

3. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thank you very much for your quick reply Crasher.

I have one of those cheap basic Autel hand held code readers, haven`t used it for ages though, would that be ok or would I need something a bit more sophisticated?

Forgot to add in my original post, reversing lights and rear wiper work ok. Dashboard warning light works and illuminates when side doors are open but fails to illuminate if boot is left open. Boot courtesy light doesn`t work.

0 0 0

4. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Sounds like it's your emblem latch switch. If you have a three button key fob, holding the boot button down will open it

0 0 0

5. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I doubt that scanner with access address 46 central convenience system
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

6. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverfan View Post
    Sounds like it's your emblem latch switch. If you have a three button key fob, holding the boot button down will open it
    Thank you very much for your reply, I have tried that this morning but still not opening the tailgate. I will try disconnecting the plug that goes into the back of the VW emblem then bridge the two ports to see if that operates the actuator.

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I doubt that scanner with access address 46 central convenience system
    Thank you very much for coming back again, I appreciate your continued interest and help. I believe my neighbour has an icarsoft scanner perhaps that would be good enough .

0 0 0

7. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Sorry, no idea; I mainly use VCDS like most people.

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

8. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thank you for your latest reply, in that case it may make sense to try and find a local garage that has VCDS for best resullts. Out of curiosity, Do replacement convenience system modules have to be re-programmed in or are they plug and play? Many thanks.

0 0 0

9. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I carried out a specific scan of 46 central convenience system this morning using the icarsoft scanner. It reported a short to ground. I investigated further and checked behind the rubber corrugated boot in the top left hand corner of the tailgate but this time peeling back some of the black tape covering the wires that actually disappear into the tailgate, I managed to access enough wires to find numerous breaks. I have temporarily put insulation tape around the breaks. I carried out a second scan after clearing the fault code. No fault codes were found but unfortunately the tailgate will not open manually by turning the emblem badge or using the remote. I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box behind the cover to the right of the dashboard but they all appear ok.

Could anyone suggest any further checks or fuse locations.

Many thanks in advance for all offers of help and assistance.

Short to ground.jpg
    Wires.jpg
    No fault code found.jpg
    Fuse box.jpg
    Attached Images

0 0 0

10. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Assuming you have continuity from these damaged wires to the motor plug, check to see what is missing at the plug. I don't have mk5 wiring diagrams but on the mk6 pins 3 and 4 of the 4 pin lock motor plug carry the positive and ground for the motor.
    The wiring down the quarter panel side might also need checking with panelling removed

1 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast