Notices

User Tag List

Thread: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Many thanks for coming back with your reply in an effort to try and help me, very much appreciated as I am struggling a bit especially as I only have basic electrical knowledge.

I have rechecked the wiring this morning behind the corrugated rubber boot in the top left hand corner but it appears I have managed to tape up all the wires that had breaks in them yesterday, doesn`t look as if I have missed any. I attach a photo of the 4 pin plug that fits onto the actuator and another photo showing a very basic test. I appear to have a live feed going to the plug as the test light illuminates when terminals 2 & 3 are bridged.

Don`t really know where to go from here

Many thanks

Actuator plug.jpg

Actuator plug illuminated.jpg

0 0 0

2. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I would order the replacement tailgate harness from VW, it just plugs in, part number 1K6 971 147 H £116.42 retail inc, it isn't fused; the convenience system provides the circuit protection.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

3. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Linnet View Post
    Many thanks for coming back with your reply in an effort to try and help me, very much appreciated as I am struggling a bit especially as I only have basic electrical knowledge.

I have rechecked the wiring this morning behind the corrugated rubber boot in the top left hand corner but it appears I have managed to tape up all the wires that had breaks in them yesterday, doesn`t look as if I have missed any. I attach a photo of the 4 pin plug that fits onto the actuator and another photo showing a very basic test. I appear to have a live feed going to the plug as the test light illuminates when terminals 2 & 3 are bridged.

Don`t really know where to go from here

Many thanks

Actuator plug.jpg

Actuator plug illuminated.jpg
    Is the test light battery powered of itself or is it relying on power provided by the car? If its battery powered you might just be on two grounds. It does suggest the grounds are good. If its just a bulb relying on car battery that may suggest a problem with the wiring (I'd expect power at pin 4 and only when commanded to operate the motor)

You do not need to dwell on any of the above if you know there is breaks in the wires and you've not connected the wrong wires together. All you need to do is decide on a repair method.

1 0 0

4. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I would order the replacement tailgate harness from VW, it just plugs in, part number 1K6 971 147 H £116.42 retail inc, it isn't fused; the convenience system provides the circuit protection.

Thank you very much Crasher for coming back with that information. Would it be worth seeing if I could purchase a secondhand loom then temporarily plugging everything together (without going through any awkward bodywork and door apertures etc) to ensure the tailgate lock works again?

Quote Originally Posted by Roverfan View Post
    Is the test light battery powered of itself or is it relying on power provided by the car? If its battery powered you might just be on two grounds. It does suggest the grounds are good. If its just a bulb relying on car battery that may suggest a problem with the wiring (I'd expect power at pin 4 and only when commanded to operate the motor)

You do not need to dwell on any of the above if you know there is breaks in the wires and you've not connected the wrong wires together. All you need to do is decide on a repair method.
    Many thanks Roverfan for your latest reply. The test light in the photo was not battery powered of itself, it was powered by the car battery. I tried several combinations testing each individual pin. The only combination that illuminated the test light was the one shown in the photo.

None of the wires were completely broken through and disconnected. So I just put insulation tape around the exposed wires where the protective outer coating was missing.

I probably need to do as Crasher suggests in his post as I don`t have the confidence to trace and undo the black tape that surrounds the tailgate loom before replacing any broken wires and soldering replacements in position.

Thank you very much Crasher and Roverfan for your continued help and interest in this thread.

0 0 0

5. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Been sunny this afternoon so elected to have another look at the tailgate. I unplugged the 2 pin plug at the back of the emblem badge, I manually closed the actuator lock ( simulating as if tailgate was closed ) I bridged the 2 pin plug and the actuator activated and opened the lock.

For some reason I never checked this before but today I noticed there is a corrugated rubber boot in the top right hand corner of the tailgate. When I peeled this back I found a yellow wire completely broken in half ( see photo ). I managed to reconnect it short term by twisting the exposed wires and placing insulation tape around it. I reconnected the emblem plug to the rear of the emblem badge and shut the tailgate but it still will not open by twisting/turning the emblem badge. Wishful thinking had convinced me the yellow wire was the problem!

I opened the tailgate again, removed the 2 pin emblem plug and reset the tailgate actuator to closed. I bridged the 2 pin emblem badge plug and it activated the actuator lock to the release position.

What conclusions does this have and does it make any difference to what has already been suggested?

Many thanks in advance for all replies

Emblem plug.jpg

Actuator lock open.jpg

Actuator lock closed.jpg

Yellow wire broken.jpg

0 0 0

6. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I am getting to really dislike used parts and invariably a used one will be FUBAR plus scrap yard knuckle draggers don't seem to understand how to remove a wiring harness, they just cut them. If you repair that broken yellow, make a long repair piece and put each joined end inside the roof and tailgate respectively

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

7. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Many thanks Crasher for your reply, sound advice as usual . Had to look up FUBAR............I am liking that expression, will definitely be using it again

Will have a go at repairing the yellow wire as you suggest, might also be best if I cut and extend the black wire too. Then I will need to look into obtaining that new wiring loom you mentioned previously.

0 0 0

8. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    If its not working from the emblem badge but shorting to open OK at the plug and no other variables it means the emblem badge switch is bad. The whole emblem badge is usually replaced for this fault. The key should work now

1 0 0

9. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Many thanks Roverfan for your latest reply.

Thats the conumdrum I have at the moment that I cant work out, the remote buttons on the key fob will lock and unlock the side doors but not the tailgate.

0 0 0

10. Re: MK5 2006 VW Golf rear tailgate not opening. Help and advise required please. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    It might need pressing twice or holding down otherwise don't know. On mine it's set to open tailgate with the central locking, but holding down the boot button will open the boot alone

1 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast