Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi all
    2001 sat 1.9tdi sport, the old girl has been behaving herself of late, one thing that has been bugging me for months is the interior rear view mirror, it is the auto dim type and the fluid inside has been leaking out ever since the summer, vw want silly money for a new one, so i started looking on auction websites for vw passat auto dim rear view mirror, well.....
    i dont mind paying for parts if they do the job but bearing in mind the ones online are nearly all from cars of a similar age to mine and so will be coming to the end of their lives, and £50(cheapest) up to whatever you want to pay still seems alot for a second hand mirror that may last two weeks or two years. So i decided to change the search words to auto dim rear view mirror (see what i did there), almost the first mirror was off a skoda octavia 2004 the part number was almost identical except for the first 3 digits and in the picture the mirror looked the same shape, the only difference is the sensors are in different places, £12 inc postage so i took a leap of faith and bought it, a week later it arrived and after some fiddling and soldering two wires hey presto it works better than the original.
    So is VW such a prestige badge over Skoda, Seat et al that parts prices can be quadrupled, are people taking advantage of parts that may not be in great supply, and do people not realise that these parts albeit maybe with some alteration are interchangeable, if you are experiencing the same problem as me there is still on on the bay the mirror housing need to be changed for your one coz the mounting bracket is different.

Rant over
    Last edited by crunchynutter; 29-07-2021 at 07:22 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Price difference 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    A lot of this about, a part for an Audi will cost more than the identical part used in a SEAT. It's not just VAG parts either, the Jag S type and X type use a lot of bits from the Ford parts bin, prices are much cheaper if you can buy the Ford part instead.
    Best I've come across is the aerial for a B5 / B5.5 Passat, they deteriorate after a few years and look really scruffy. Buying on eBay, a Vauxhall Vectra one is exactly the same item but costs less than half the money from the same seller.

0 0 0

3. Re: Price difference 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yep, i first came across it quite a few years ago, Mrs crunchynutter had a Skoda Felicia and it shared engine parts with the VW Polo. Now, where i work we have about six Renault Traffic mini busses, and another company next door have the exact same vans but they have Vauxhall badges. I think im correct in that some VW's share parts with some Fords. Seems there is a lot of it about, do your homework re part numbers and you could save yourself a small fortune.

0 0 0