I'm in a bind and not sure how to resolve this on my 2006 Passat.

Currently my car has a locked steering column and won't respond to me putting the key in the ignition. When I put the key in the ignition no dash lights come on or anything it just results in a stuck key that I need to manually pull out. The battery is fully charged, I've replaced the key battery, the key fob does lock and unlock the car just fine. I did also try to replace the little ignition key fob hole and that didn't change anything either. It is just when I put the key in the ignition I get no response and the steering wheel remains locked.

Figured at this point lets move on to removing the steering column and replace the microswitches. That seems to be the common answer is the microswitches have failed. But I'm stuck. I can't remove the steering column because the lock is engaged and I'm unable to access the two torx screws at the front to remove the bottom steering cowl. Not being able to remove that, I don't think I can fully remove the wiring harness from the steering column.

Is there a trick to being able to temporarily unlock the steering column so I can remove the two torx and then remove the bottom steering wheel cowl, or is there another trick to remove the wiring harness from the steering wheel while the cowl is in place?

Or do you all think I'm doing the wrong fix and need to try something else first? any help please would be much appreciated as I have no transportation right now and I have to move my car by Saturday. Thank you!