0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello All,

I hope we are all well.
    Sorry this is going to be long!
    I have an on going issue with my Audi 2010 A3 2.0 tfsi. Back in November I went to start the car and noticed the instrument cluster was dead, no lights, milage etc. The stereo and heater controls where illuminated and the car would turn over but not start. I suspected the instrument cluster and had these faults:

01-Engine Management
    05488 Engine start blocked by immobiliser P1570 - Intermittent
    49493 No communication with instrument cluster U0155 - Intermittent

03-Brake Electronics
    01317 Control module in instrument cluster (J285) No signal/No communication - Intermittent
    03391 Coding not possible - Intermittent
    00474 Control module for immobiliser no signal/no communication - intermittent

08-Aircon
    01317 Control module in instrument cluster (J285) not a plausible signal - Intermittent

09-Central Electronics
    01317 Control module in instrument cluster (J285) no signal/no communication - Intermittent
    00466 Control module for steering column electronics (J527) no signal/no communication - Intermittent
    03266 Control circuit for signal horn open circuit/short with ground - Intermittent

15-Airbag -SRS
    U015500 Lost communication with Instrument panel cluster control module

16-Steering Wheel Electronics
    01317 Control module in instrument cluster (J285) not a plausible signal - Intermittent

17-Instrument Cluster
    00562 Sensor for oil level/temperature (G266) Open circuit/short with power - Intermittent
    01299 Diagnostic interface for data bus (J533) no signal/no communication - Intermittent
    00779 Outside air temperature sensor (G17) short with ground - Intermittent

19-Diagnostic Data Interface-Gateway
    00474 Control module for immobiliser no signal/no communication - intermittent
    00466 Control module for steering column electronics (J527) no signal/no communication - Intermittent

I sent the cluster away for repair/checking. The company that checked it said they could not fault it. I had the instrument cluster returned and fitted it in to the car, which started and run fine.
    I had not done many miles due to lockdown and it failed again in January. I could not code scan it but sent it back to the company explaining what had happened. They tested it again, with no fault found. I pointed out that the codes from November were Intermittent and could that be why there is no current fault. There Research & Development department looked at it and suggested getting it reworked. Which I believe was to replace the printed circuit board.
    The cluster was returned after rework and I fitted it in to the car. Which again started fine. However I did notice the dash light did not illuminated behind the rev counter and speedo. I drove the car once to my local garage who cleared all the codes. On starting the car the speedo/rev counter lights were illuminated.
    Driving back home the lights dimmed and went out, but the cluster was still working. Once home I turned off the car and started it and everything worked. I tried to start the car again this morning and it would not start. I now have these fault codes:

01-Engine Management
    49493 No communication with instrument cluster U0155

03-Brake Electronics
    01317 Control module in instrument cluster (J285) No signal/No communication
    03391 Coding Not Possible
    00474 Control module for immobiliser No signal/No communication

08-Aircon
    01317 Control module in instrument cluster (J285) not a plausible signal

09-Central Electronics

15-Airbag -SRS
    U015500 Lost communication with Instrument panel cluster control module

16-Steering Wheel Electronics

19-Diagnostic Data Interface-Gateway
    00474 Control module for immobiliser No signal/No communication
    01317 Control module in instrument cluster (J285) No signal /No communication

42-Door Electronics Driver

44-Steering assist (separated)

52-Door Electronic Passenger

56-Radio

I called the company that reworked the cluster and they offered to check it again but think it is a possible wiring fault as it has been checked three times with no fault, once in November and twice in January. I am going to remove the cluster again tomorrow and check the loom as far as I can see.
    My question, finally has anyone had a similar issue, and where to start looking with out taking the dash completely apart.

Thanks and stay safe

Boardboy

0 0 0

2. Re: Instrument Cluster Dead 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After changing the gateway module, fingers crossed all seems to be fine!IMG_6332.jpg

0 0 0

3. Re: Instrument Cluster Dead 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hope that fixed your problem. How did you figure out it could be the can gateway at fault?
    2003 VW Golf Est 1.9 TDI 130
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport 140

0 0 0

4. Re: Instrument Cluster Dead 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was going to try a second hand cluster after checking that I was getting 12v up to the instrument cluster plug. I had the car running at one stage with the cluster completely died. I did get the second hand cluster slaved in, without recoding and the back lights were pulsing bright and dim, which the original also did. The garage that was going to recode it suggested the interface module.

0 0 0