Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Error: ESP - Complete Loss of Power. Electrics Issue?

1. Error: ESP - Complete Loss of Power. Electrics Issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi all, so a bit of annoying problem started with my car today (’61 B7 Passat Sport 2.0 BM Estate).

Im working from home so car is used a few days a week for short journeys (I am smart charging once a month) but the car has sat for probably 3 or 4 days now doing nothing and this morning on what seems to be the coldest day ever I went outside and started her up, engine was running for a good 5 minutes or more whilst the heated windscreen and blowers were on but then as I put my foot down to drive off the drive, the ‘Error: ESP’ message came up on the MFD, the ABS light lit up yellow and the car completely cut out and lost power.

Silly me just thought it may have been a battery issue so restarted the car and drove off in hope it was a one off and something to do with the Baltic weather. However another 20 seconds down the road (at a roundabout, typical) the same happened again. I managed to start up again and get it to a safe place and left it as now it wasn’t going any further than a few yards without the error popping up and car just cutting out completely.

Thinking it may still be the battery, I went back home as luckily I had purchased a new one not so long ago (I was holding off fitting until the car was going to be used a bit more), admittedly it wasn’t fully charged but I checked it and I think it was around 12.4v so plenty enough, you’d think? Anyway, battery swapped over and issue still exists so I made use of my breakdown policy and got recovered back to home which was only a few minutes away. Didn’t want to be taking it to a garage with a blank cheque in hand straight away without having a look myself first as im quite handy and would like to try and fix myself. Im also in no rush to use the car anytime soon.

Having got it back home this is the way it plays out:

- Car will start at first push of the key, engine runs, all dash lights go out and all looks good, but within 10 seconds I see the DPF light quickly light up followed by the parking brake, the ESP error and the ESP/ABS light – all in yellow, not red, and all engine power is lost again.

- If I try to start the car again straight away, It wont turn over at all for another few minutes and then the same process happens

It certainly seems to be some electrical issue somewhere, just not sure where to start? Im taking the DPF light with a pinch of salt, along with the parking brake light as the brake works fine. Im also wondering if the EPS issue is also a red herring and that whatever electrical issue it is, is just causing random stuff to error?

Unfortunately I don’t own or have access to VCDS but I do have a Carista OBD device, read codes, cleared, started engine, read again and still getting a few that fall into the below.

- 01314 Engine Control Module (ECM) and shows under the ABS, Parking Brake, Power Steering, Central Electronics and CAN Network Gateway headings – once again not sure if this is just highlighting that these areas have errored rather than pointing to a specific issue?

- 68108 for both Driver and Front Passenger Door

Not sure how meaningful these are and if they are related:

- 12648480 – Parking/Steering Assist
    - 13701376 – Heater + Air Conditioning
    - 13639424 – Instrument Cluster
    - 13639427 – Instrument Cluster
    - 12648448 – Instrument Cluster
    - 12658432 – Instrument Cluster

0 0 0

2. Re: Error: ESP - Complete Loss of Power. Electrics Issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    They might all be red herrings except your engine cutting out. Does it still cut out whilst stationary?

0 0 0

3. Re: Error: ESP - Complete Loss of Power. Electrics Issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah it does. Even if I put the ignition on but dont start the engine, after a few seconds the error pops up in the same way

0 0 0

4. Re: Error: ESP - Complete Loss of Power. Electrics Issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Seems like an ecu fault but see what other members say

0 0 0

5. Re: Error: ESP - Complete Loss of Power. Electrics Issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Check the large open fuses at the front of the engine bay fuse box, they sometimes crack & become intermittent.

Other than that I think you will need a wiring diagram & meter to see what 12v supplies are missing when the fault occurs.

0 0 0

6. Re: Error: ESP - Complete Loss of Power. Electrics Issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Needs a proper full VCDS auto scan at least otherwise it's guess work.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Error: ESP - Complete Loss of Power. Electrics Issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philipharmes View Post
    Check the large open fuses at the front of the engine bay fuse box, they sometimes crack & become intermittent.

Other than that I think you will need a wiring diagram & meter to see what 12v supplies are missing when the fault occurs.
    Thanks. Are you referring to the big block fuses inside the fuse box or do you mean the wires screwed into the front of the box?

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Needs a proper full VCDS auto scan at least otherwise it's guess work.
    Yeah, if only i could get access to one. Will see if i can find one local somehow

0 0 0

8. Re: Error: ESP - Complete Loss of Power. Electrics Issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Yes i did mean the open ones at the front of the box, but worth checking all of them really for any cracks or corrosion.

Suggest you only take one out at a time so you don't get them mixed up.

0 0 0

9. Re: Error: ESP - Complete Loss of Power. Electrics Issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I find taking a picture of the fuses helps. At least then you have a back up of your set up

0 1 0

10. Re: Error: ESP - Complete Loss of Power. Electrics Issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks both. Today I actually removed the ECU, took the cover off to check for any damage to the board, which there didnt seem to be. Connected back to the car and the issue seems to have disappeared. Early days as its not been out for a drive yet but sat with the engine running for well over an hour with no problem. Previously it wouldnt get past 5 minutes without cutting out.

Will still check the fuses though, no harm in it as not necessarily out of the woods just yet

0 0 0