1. Question Self-centering controls 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Could some kind member tell me what self-centering controls are used on B9 A4 models? I understand the auto box gear lever suffers from this, but what about the direction indicators, and the headlight dip control?

What I mean is; you nudge the lever in the direction you want, but it immediately springs back to the centre position instead of staying put. This guarantees that you lose valuable feedback as to where the control is - utter madness in my opinion.

The reason I ask is that I’d like to replace my ageing B8 Allroad (which is wonderful), with a newer Allroad. I have to decide whether I could live with a B9, or whether I should stick with another B8.

Many thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: Self-centering controls 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I don't really know what you mena but:

The autobox (mine tiptronic) center spring back I believe is a magnet (for the selector), my car is 4 years old and always goes back except when pushed to manual +/- then it springs back to that center which is to one side of the normal shifter position.

Indicators spring back when the steering wheel passes a certain point on it's return to straight. (it has to pass that point for the return to work, if you indicate left/right and don't turn the wheel, it will never return. when I nudge the indicator stem/stick,if flicks back unless I pass the point where is latches, it stays (A4 B9).returning when the steering wheel returns.

On my version I have headlight assist, Dip (white circle with headlight symbol)/High beam (blue circle with headlight symbol)/Assist (white circle with "A")
    It stays where you leave it till car light are switched off.
    Assist turns on high beam if speed > preset (normally 70mph) and no car lights in front camera view. (you can alter the speed enable with an OBD II, I have mine @ 40mph).

If I misunderstood, apologies....
    2016 (B9) A4 Saloon S line 3.0 TDI quattro 272 PS tiptronic
    2012 (C7) A6 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Line, S-tronic, Sports Diff. 242PS
    2010 (C6) A6 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Line, Tiptronic, Le Mans. 233PS

0 0 0

3. Re: Self-centering controls 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Many thanks for your reply, noscream.

That tells me what I want to know. I’m relieved to hear that the direction indicators and headlight dip are “normal” on the B9 A4.

Yes, of course, the direction indicators will, or should, self-cancel when you straighten up. But as we all know, they don’t always do it when you want. So I’m in the habit of nudging the lever when I want it to cancel. But if the lever is already in the centre position, that will initiate a turn signal in the opposite direction. I once had a BMW X3 where the control was self centering, and I would often find myself, after a turn, proceeding down the road, emitting a series of left and right turn signals. Mind you, you may feel a fool, but it does encourage anyone following behind to keep their distance.

The headlight dip was similar, and unintended flashes of full beam when oncoming headlights appeared, were not uncommon …….

I couldn’t live with it, and the X3 had to go.

I probably can live with the self-centering gear lever, but it has its own problems. On the open road it’s fine, until you need to do a lot of manoeuvring. Shouldn’t be a problem should it. To go forward, nudge the lever forward, to go back, nudge it back …. oh, hang on a minute…...

0 0 0