1. Golf Mk6 Heater blowing cold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    New here so hi to everyone, recently got a mk6 1.6tdi 2009 59 reg 98000 miles. Had it a few months now and the heater only blows cold. So far we have changed the thermostat and a sensor although I can’t remember which one but still no joy. Heater matrix inlet and outlet are both hot so not sure that is blocked. Not sure if it’s related but every now and again there is a strong smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin and also the car temperature seems to overheat sometimes, often going from 90 up to 120 then seems to go back down again, this can be on normal and motorway journeys. Isn’t losing any coolant. Had a friend plug into a diagnostic but no error codes. Could replace the matrix if that would do the trick but don’t want to do it if it might be something else. Not sure what to do might sell the car as we can’t seem to diagnose. Any help would or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf Mk6 Heater blowing cold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The heater is designed to be anti burst so if the matrix is blocked it will still flow across and the design makes it more prone to blocked and almost impossible to clear. The worry is the overheat, in the last few weeks I have answered dozens of questions on forums and on the phone about CAYC sudden overheating. I need you to try and see the casting number on the back of the head, by mirror or endoscope.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf Mk6 Heater blowing cold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Okay just had a look the code is:
    V230
    03L 103
    373 A

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf Mk6 Heater blowing cold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    That is THE problem head casting, the VAG TPI says “replace the head”, a head gasket change will not help
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf Mk6 Heater blowing cold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could you give me any more info about this problem please? Replace the head is your advice I’m guessing that would rectify the overheating but not the heater blowing cold air only? Thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf Mk6 Heater blowing cold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    What I have found is new to me (in this casting, I cannot quite grasp this is happening AGAIN) it appears that a porous head casting can cause air pockets in the cooling system and this will cause the heating to stop and the car to overheat.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf Mk6 Heater blowing cold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Have you checked the small bore pipe that connects to the top of the coolant reservoir.

It should flow coolant while the engine is running & helps get rid of trapped air.

It often gets sludged up.

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf Mk6 Heater blowing cold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    In theory it would deal with both as the matrix is problem becoming air locked, I am a bit concerned about this discovery as I am seeing a lot of people with PQ35 platform cars and the CAYC engine with these symptoms although I think you are the first to mention a heater problem. The problem with replacing the head with a new VW unit is the cost, a quick add up of the parts required came to £3K so with Labour it is far more than the vehicles value, then again I have just pumped £4K in bits alone into my 2003 Octavia because I like the car so much.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0