Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    I hope someone may offer some assistance to current issue with the A7.

Car:
    Audi A7 2017 3.0TDI 272PS Quattro Black Edition (UK Version)

Short Summary:
    When turning ignition on through start button on side of gear stick, the MMI screen does not open. The MMI buttons in the middle, i.e. Menu, Back, Car, Nav, Radio, Tel, Media, Volume, Next/Previous track button, MMI scribble => nothing lights up (usually a red light on one selected), nor changes anything. Note: The instrument cluster (between the Tachometer and the Speedometer) are functioning through the steering wheel controls, i.e. I can see economy details, media, telephone and even see the google maps.

So,
    Car got investigated by local Audi under Extended Audi Warranty claim (All Components Cover: Link to the product bought: https://www.insurewithaudi.co.uk/med...9_nav_v2-1.pdf ) today.
    Outcome:
    They have investigated everything that warranty covers, no diagnosis of this issue. As there is no mechanical failure, i have to pay 5hours worth of diagnosis @ nearly £800 to continue.
    They have also noticed water ingress in the C Pillar, for which they need 5hrs of diagnosis to pull and see the damage/issue.

Query to all you Audi lovers like me, and experts of those systems,
    1. Anyone else have experienced this issue on an A7 before... It looks like the MMI itself is working, just the screen/mmi buttons failing. See 'Long Summary' for bit more information on what i discovered since first having this issue start of December.
    2. Looking at the PDF for warranty cover, I do not understand when/why it covers ALL COMPONENTS including due to water ingress, should I paying this investigation? Note: I do intend to call Audi Warranty to discuss why this is the case.
    3. Anyone with suggestions on next steps?.

Long Summary:
    I only realised the MMI was actually working, by unplugging my media SD card -> and plug back in... The media on sd card started playing. Which tells me -> The MMI system is working. Just not the mmi screen opening. I have tried the open mmi button, this does not work.
    To note, I have also able to connect my phone via bluetooth and use both phone calls/media play from youtube onto the car speakers. With the BOSE speakers, i tried volume up to really high (through steering wheel), no issues on that front.
    Next, AFAIK, the question of water ingress, I have not seen any carpet / boot liner in water. Either in cabin foot wells or in boot. With no sunroof on the A7 and no rear wipers, I am concerned whether local Audi taking me on a ride. And if there is a fundamental issue, e.g. body of the car and rubber covers shifted... How would I know as a user?

I can take pictures/videos when the car is picked up tomorrow, because with Xmas break/Covid, the earliest they can do the 5hours is late January. Will sincerely appreciate any support/ideas one may have, specially with the current circumstances we all finding ourselves in. With this, many thanks for any support/ideas, and stay safe.

0 0 0

2. Re: MMI Screen not opening and mmi functions' buttons not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Check the cable connections into the back of the mmi unit in case one has worked slightly loose. As you say, the system is actually working, its just not providing a display or allowing selection through the buttons.
    Best to spend a little time to carry out your own initial hands on investigation first before handing money over to the main dealer.
    Ive not had this on my A7 but i had something similar on a previous generation A6 once.
    Last edited by Not_Anumber; 06-01-2021 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling

0 0 0

3. Re: MMI Screen not opening and mmi functions' buttons not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, it seems like a while ago, did you manage to find the problem and resolve it?

0 0 0