1. Audi Test Drives During COVID 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I bought my Q5 years ago and love my car. My daughter has a little Citroen C1 and wants a car with a bit more oomph. So she wants a test drive in an A1 with a view to buying a brand new one. When I bought my current car, I showed my driving license and left my own Ford with JCT600 Sheffield while I and my wife were allowed to take out their test drive car alone. We chatted freely and I fell in love with the car and I instantly ordered one with all the bells and whistles. JCT600 Sheffield were wonderful and the whole experience made me want to buy a car from them.

Ok, I know we now have COVID.

In order for my daughter to test drive a car she can't just show her driving license and leave her car with JCT600 Doncaster like I did.
    They say they need her Drivers Licence, National Insurance Number and something official showing her name and address (other than the drivers license which already has it). He suggested a Utility Bill (which my daughter doesn't have) so they would need a bank statement or phone bill as long as it shows both name and address and is not more than 3 months old.

This is all just for a test drive of a car she may not even like or want!

National Insurance Number, name, address, date of birth and possible bank details is sufficient to enable someone to commit identity fraud and access the government's website in her name or open a bank account.
    I often wonder how vulnerable people get so easily caught out.

What does everyone else think? Or is this just JCT600 Audi at Doncaster making up their own rules? If Audi consider this is acceptable I will ask South Yorkshire Police for their opinion.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi Test Drives During COVID 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I understand that the National Insurance Number is a requirement for the Audi insurance. This is claimed to be needed to protect the car industry.

My concern as a member of the public is the level of information we are providing for a 15 minute test drive. Altogether you will have our name, address, date of birth, a photo, utility/bank details, probably email address and phone number, National Insurance Number and probably more details from the registration number of the vehicle we plan to trade in. It is only one step away from insisting that the salesman must be provided the debit card PIN number in order to carry out payment himself.

The public are expected to exercise due diligence in passing out personal information and I believe our National Insurance Number is as personal as our card PIN number. I am at a loss to understand at what point the public consider any industry has gone too far. The general public are becoming increasing victims of fraud and identity theft and it is understandable why.

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi Test Drives During COVID 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverTop669 View Post
    I bought my Q5 years ago and love my car. My daughter has a little Citroen C1 and wants a car with a bit more oomph. So she wants a test drive in an A1 with a view to buying a brand new one. When I bought my current car, I showed my driving license and left my own Ford with JCT600 Sheffield while I and my wife were allowed to take out their test drive car alone. We chatted freely and I fell in love with the car and I instantly ordered one with all the bells and whistles. JCT600 Sheffield were wonderful and the whole experience made me want to buy a car from them.

Ok, I know we now have COVID.

In order for my daughter to test drive a car she can't just show her driving license and leave her car with JCT600 Doncaster like I did.
    They say they need her Drivers Licence, National Insurance Number and something official showing her name and address (other than the drivers license which already has it). He suggested a Utility Bill (which my daughter doesn't have) so they would need a bank statement or phone bill as long as it shows both name and address and is not more than 3 months old.

This is all just for a test drive of a car she may not even like or want!

National Insurance Number, name, address, date of birth and possible bank details is sufficient to enable someone to commit identity fraud and access the government's website in her name or open a bank account.
    I often wonder how vulnerable people get so easily caught out.

What does everyone else think? Or is this just JCT600 Audi at Doncaster making up their own rules? If Audi consider this is acceptable I will ask South Yorkshire Police for their opinion.
    Rules are rules at the moment mate. Covid has had a knock on effect with everything. Some guidelines seem daft and pointless but what else can you do. Hopefully things get back to normal sooner rather than later. I doubt very much that Audi Sheffield are making up their own rules. It will have come from some business manager higher up in the hierarchy at Audi.

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi Test Drives During COVID 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Rules are not rules my friend. Or at least are only what companies make up for themselves. The government have not told companies that this is what they must do.

Go to View or share your driving licence information - GOV.UK, and select Start Now

Enter all the details, Agree, and select View Now

You can then page through all the government details for yourself.

What Audi do not tell you is:-

On the next page, there are 4 options at the top. Select "Get your check code", then select "Get a Code"

This produces a PDF with all the details. The National Insurance Number isn't shown.

You need to take a printout of this, together with her driving licence and also that document with name and address. They don’t need to ever know your National Insurance number at all. And they can see the details for themselves from the last 8 digits of your driving license plus a code the site will give you to pass on. The code is valid for 21 days.

Try it, and fraud and identity theft avoided. The public need to know how to protect themselves, and not just the car industry protect themselves at our loss. We don't know what personal details companies hold on us or how securely they stored.

0 0 0