1. Oil strainer 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    My audi oil light is coming on and sounding like a diesel when warm, I suspect its the oil pickup strainer blocked.

I'm having a hard time trying to find where to get a replacement can someone point me in the right direction please.

Engine is code Apu 1.8t 1999 150bhp.

Thanks

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Oil strainer 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    The oil strainer is a wire mesh cover on the oil pump pickup pipe inside the sump.

It can be cleaned, but the sump has to be removed to get to it.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

3. Re: Oil strainer 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You cannot buy the pick up for this oil pump which is why you can’t find one, it only comes with the full pump 058 115 105 C which is a very sensible precaution anyway and these are readily available on the aftermarket such as the Febi 19416

It is an extremely common problem with the longitudinally mounted 1.8T engines, far more so than the same engine in a transverse installation. My feeling is it is the design of the ally sump where the rear section is shallow to clear the subframe and it gets too cold so sludge forms, in the deep section where there is always oil, it stays cleaner but the sludge runs down into there

It can be so bad that we have to use paint stripper to remove it and remember, it may well be just as bad in the head, I will come to that. Firstly dropping the sump means dropping the subframe so a LOT of new genuine bolts. The sealant used here is a different one, there are a few types specified, you should use D 176 404 M2 which is £34.37.

This is the VAG white silicone RTV but all must be applied in a thin 2mm ish bead going inside the bolt holes or it will squeeze out and block the pickup, this is a transverse 1.8T sump.

This is one on a Passat 1.8T we did many years ago, the later design oil pump, we found the person who did the job previously had used windscreen sealant, lots of it. The engine was ruined, low oil pressure at idle so it joined most of the others in the scrap yard.

Back to my point about the head, if you flush out the engine with the nice clean sump on, all the sludge in the head will be dislodged and go into the sump and block the pickup. We remove the cam cover, use degrees to scrub and flush as much as possible down and into a tray and paint the inside of the cover with paint stripper as with the sump. Don’t use any abrasives or sharp tools that will scratch the surface it is smooth and shiny for a reason.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Oil strainer 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Fantastic information as always just what I needed to know.

Is the pump easy to fit are gaskets required or sealant. and is there a guide to getting the sump off as it does not sound easy.

With the head build up can it be cleaned with the engine still in the car?

These are photos off the head

0 0 0

5. Re: Oil strainer 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The head looks very encouraging as there is little sign of sludge so promising, a quick scrub in there and flush down should suffice. The pump is a direct face to face contact but the bolts must only be torqued to 20Nm or the casting can distort.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Oil strainer 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Okay thanks il start ordering parts tomorrow while the engine is in bits should there be anything else I should do while I'm there.

Really that's shocking considering it's just rolled over 180k miles.

0 0 0

7. Re: Oil strainer 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mospin1 View Post
    Really that's shocking considering it's just rolled over 180k miles
    What is shocking?

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Oil strainer 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    The amount off miles covered and its only just broke.

0 0 0

9. Re: Oil strainer 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have seen some only manage their third Longlife oil change but then again that is near 60K. I bought my Octavia VRS at just over 3 years old with a ragged engine, it had done 121K and had four oil changes then the first ower sold it when the service light was on but did the dash clear so it set it for 9300. The chap booked it in for a service but it didn't make it, so bought it because the £8k estimate was the same as what he had just paid for the car. The turbo was destroyed as well so I fitted a new genuine engine and turbo from what was then the newly opened TPS. It is now on 185k ish and I have lost count of how many oil changes but twice a year and I do circa 4K a year and using Longlife 3. Even then a few months back the MIL came on and said the VVT target was not reached and that is a sign of low oil pressure so I changed it again and it was OK until the steering gear spat its fluid out...
    Last edited by Crasher; 15-12-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Oil strainer 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    My oil was changed at intervals of less than 5,000 miles from new until the second owner, who had done 7,000 miles without a change when he sold it to me, so that was the first thing I did.

Since then I have changed the oil twice, at 5,500 and 5,000 miles, and now due again.

The strainer looked good viewed via my endoscope the last time I had the drain plug out. Fingers crossed, as I don't plan to drop the sump to look!
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0