Notices

User Tag List

Thread: What do I need for replacing the battery ?

1. What do I need for replacing the battery ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Read many threads here and elsewhere but just want to be certain. I have a 2013 VW GT auto with all the gadgets fitted, ACC/SS etc. I was planning ahead in considering going to Halfords to change the battery and do the recode for around £184 I believe which seemed expensive so ? Yes it’s their own make but comes with 5 years warranty from memory and is a stop start one. I currently have a Varta 69Ah EFB and to be fair battery indicator is showing it’s ok. I can see Varta 70Ah EFB for around £100 from the likes of Battery Group which Varta say is the one.

No problem fitting it myself and would look for same amp rating to keep it simple. I would use the new battery to keep the system live or invest on an obd2 for £7 on eBay ? I understand I don’t need to recode if I use the same rated battery so 70Ah should be fine ? Not having a diagnostic tool I’m not sure how I would recode anyway. I don’t need an increase in power as the current battery has served well without issues. Just being proactive should I start having issues

Any recommendations appreciated as to Halfords or any other supplier fitter or the DIY approach as I understand it

0 0 0

2. Re: What do I need for replacing the battery ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    If its a mk 6 its tells you how to change the battery in the handbook.

0 1 0

3. Re: What do I need for replacing the battery ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It’s a Mk 7 but I will check in the handbook as well.I’m happy with the practical stuff just unsure about the possible coding and keeping a live feed to the system during swap over

0 0 0

4. Re: What do I need for replacing the battery ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looking at various videos it seems swapping the battery without maintaining power to the system just gives a couple of minor errors. Which disappear after a 5 min drive. So only issue is recoding ? If I fit. 70ah which seems to be the replacement for the Varta 69ah is is safe to assume as they are so close no recoding is required ?

User manual is really no help

0 0 0