Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by user name View Post
    If you want to picky you will find it was developed FOR the military it will be a cold day in hell when the military starts inventing batteries. I was trying to point out they are different that's all.
    ***? You said "Mike, AGM is not lead acid", so I said "Oh yes it is" (which it is) with a smiley, and pointed out why. I haven't claimed credit for anything. No I'm not a yank and I made no comments about who invented it or why.

Alternator charging should be around 14.4 so if your car Alternator is only charging at 12.6 you have your culprit.
    I had the same thought as you about a charging problem. When the battery was down at 11.8V I monitored the voltage with the engine running after a jump start (jump battery now disconnected), it was showing around 12.5-12.6V (more revs made no difference) which is nowhere near enough to properly charge the battery - so that point I did suspect the alternator/charging system. However after charging the battery and starting the engine from it unassisted the voltage with the engine running was showing 14.8. I wonder whether the charging system has some intelligence built in such that if the battery is really low it does some sort of soft-start on the charging, and I just didn't monitor it for long enough when it was showing 12.6V.

0 0 0

2. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    That's useful. Just a minor quibble, " if its a bigger spec it wont hurt the new battery, it just wont charge it up to full capacity" - the best way to damage a lead acid battery is to regularly fail to fully charge it. In this instance I suspect that all will happen is its capacity will gradually reduce to the meet what the charger is expecting so no real harm done.

I have suspicions about the state of the battery in my Dec '19 Passat. A couple of weeks a ago I had a week of lots of driving (a couple of 200+ mile runs, and 20-40 most other days), then a week later the car refused to start because the battery was too low. Jump started it and went for a drive, 10 mins later tried to restart it - refused. Jump started it again to get it home (battery was at 11.8V, not good) and then put the battery charger on for 24 hours after which it started. I've always had suspicions because unlike the previous 2 Passats, where the stop-start system stopped the engine almost every time you came to a stop, on this one it hardly ever stops it - even after a 4 hour daylight drive with no air-con etc. you can come to a stop and the A symbol on the dash has the line through it meaning that it doesn't want to do it for some reason (e.g. battery too low). On the very rare occasion that it does stop the engine it generally restarts it after anywhere between 5 and 15 seconds. Maybe the battery has always been slightly dodgy.

Car is still under warranty so it's booked in to a VW dealer for a battery test next week.
    I had the same issues and car went into VW for a battery test. This is a binary test (only shows pass or fail) and they needed the car overnight. The problem persisted and I checked the alternator which as Ok, so I began to think it might be a parasitic drain. Long story short, replaced EFB with an AGM battery and it all seems Ok so far.

VW batteries have a 5 year warranty. If VW say battery is good, then suggest they carry out a parasitic drain test and check alternator.

0 1 0

3. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    VW service centre had the car for 90 minutes and say they checked everything out - all OK except the battery which has been replaced under warranty. Drove for about an hour afterwards and put the meter on the battery - just under 12.6V with and without the engine running. So that leaves me still suspicious of the charging system, but I note many threads on other forums which talk about the charging system aiming to keep the battery SoC between 50 and 80% charged to save fuel (by not charging it to 100%). It might save a few drops of fuel but it will shorten the battery life - this isn't progress... Lots of reports of premature EFB battery failures in VAG cars on other forums.

0 0 0

4. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    VW service centre had the car for 90 minutes and say they checked everything out - all OK except the battery which has been replaced under warranty. Drove for about an hour afterwards and put the meter on the battery - just under 12.6V with and without the engine running. So that leaves me still suspicious of the charging system, but I note many threads on other forums which talk about the charging system aiming to keep the battery SoC between 50 and 80% charged to save fuel (by not charging it to 100%). It might save a few drops of fuel but it will shorten the battery life - this isn't progress... Lots of reports of premature EFB battery failures in VAG cars on other forums.
    Was the replacement AGM for AGM or EFB for EFB?

0 0 0

5. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens247 View Post
    Was the replacement AGM for AGM or EFB for EFB?
    EFB for EFB - Moll, same as the faulty one. I see from other forums that there was a bad batch of Moll batteries a few years ago - it seemed to pre-date my car although I guess its possible it was from the batch. I didn't have to mention 'warranty', they just told me what they'd found and handed me the key.

0 0 0

6. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    This is an old thread but I have a similar problem.

1997 Passat Estate B8. So coming towards 5 years. Not used too much in the last couple of years but battery warning after a week of no use every so often.

With years of experience I think the easiest solution is get a new battery (it is 4 1/2 years old)

My question is. Do I get VW to replace it or is Halfords (possibly easiest) just as good?

I know it seems a simple question - not too worried about cost (sorry but looking for easiest solution) but concerned about getting it correct first time.

0 0 0

7. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you are thinking of Halfords, beware and read my experience near the start of this thread (5th Feb). Cant say every area is that bad but I will never use Halfords again

0 0 0

8. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike6265 View Post
    This is an old thread but I have a similar problem.

1997 Passat Estate B8. So coming towards 5 years. Not used too much in the last couple of years but battery warning after a week of no use every so often.

With years of experience I think the easiest solution is get a new battery (it is 4 1/2 years old)

My question is. Do I get VW to replace it or is Halfords (possibly easiest) just as good?

I know it seems a simple question - not too worried about cost (sorry but looking for easiest solution) but concerned about getting it correct first time.
    I guess you mean 2017? I would first try giving the battery a proper full charge, but it may be that long periods of only being partially charged (or more likely rarely fully charged) have reduced its capacity. If it needs to be replaced then TBH if I were paying I would just source the battery from an online battery retailer and fit it myself - with the caveat that I don't know whether completely disconnecting the battery would require anything in the car to be reset/programmed etc, but I could fashion a way of keeping 12V power to the car whilst I swapped the battery over.

0 0 0

9. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My battery gave signs that it was coming towards the end of its useful life after 4 1/2 years. Starting the engine from cold as Winter approached just didn't sound right. There was no dashboard warning light to say there was a battery problem and it always started alright, but I was concerned it wouldn't for much longer. When a battery does fail, it always seems to be at the most inconvenient time and place and everywhere is closed.

Halfords fitted a replacement AGM battery, for which they charged £25 extra.

Removing and replacing the battery is somewhat awkward, because of poor access to the compartment where it is installed. You may want to keep an eye on its fitting; I had to show the young man, who did the work, where the battery was and how to gain access to it and refit the panel etc. After the new battery was fitted, an older man with a gizmo appeared. He plugged it into the Service socket and pressed buttons and that was about it.

So no problem getting it done outside the VW garage network, but the choice of battery manufacturer may be limited.

VW Passat GT 4-Motion 2.0 BiTdi Estate, 2015 model

0 0 0

10. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My battery gave signs that it was coming towards the end of its useful life after 4 1/2 years. Starting the engine from cold as Winter approached just didn't sound right. There was no dashboard warning light to say there was a battery problem and it always started alright, but I was concerned it wouldn't for much longer. When a battery does fail, it always seems to be at the most inconvenient time and place and everywhere is closed.

Halfords fitted a replacement AGM battery, for which they charged £25 extra.

Removing and replacing the battery is somewhat awkward, because of poor access to the compartment where it is installed. You may want to keep an eye on its fitting; I had to show the young man, who did the work, where the battery was and how to gain access to it and refit the panel etc. After the new battery was fitted, an older man with a gizmo appeared. He plugged it into the Service socket and pressed buttons and that was about it.

So no problem getting it done outside the VW garage network, but the choice of battery manufacturer may be limited.

VW Passat GT 4-Motion 2.0 BiTdi Estate, 2015 model

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast