1. Octavia Mk2 Thermostat leak - Help identifying pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Regards a Mk2 Octavia 1.6 Tdi with an engine code CAYC I think it is, has CAY on timing belt cover.

It had the thermostat housing type with the 4 hoses connecting onto it and the stat is within the middle of it.

It's in the pic below part no. 81
    Also, part no. 10 is the pipe connecting into the stat housing and part no.11 is the o-ring for this pipe. Would anyone be able to give me the Skoda part no. for Pipe no.10 in the pic below and it's o-ring no.11 please?

Can this o-ring be ordered on it's own and is it main dealer only?
    Is this pipe prone / known to develop a leak?
    I havr the stat housing off and reckon it's o-ring to engine block is the culprit due to some wear visible on the o-ring but I can feel coolant under the pipe no.10 where it makes it's way around the side of the engine over the gearbox. It's very hard to see in there but I can run my finger under part of it and there's coolant on its bottom side.

Is removing the oil filter housing a awkward job, it would greatly improve access for re-assembly of the stat housing.
    I already removed the a/c pump + alternator to gain access to remove the stat housing and throttle body flap motor, I didn't remove the intake manifold itself as it involved major dismantling of injector pipes and fuel rail.

I think this is the pipe:

Water Pipe China 03L121065AJ

0 0 0

2. Re: Octavia Mk2 Thermostat leak - Help identifying pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Private message me the REG.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Octavia Mk2 Thermostat leak - Help identifying pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Sorry, been busy trying to make room to take Thursday and Friday off... knackered! The thermostat part number is now 03L 121 111 S. The pipe is 03L 121 065 AJ and comes with the "O" ring, it is plastic and often snaps if you look at it in the wrong way.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Octavia Mk2 Thermostat leak - Help identifying pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thank's for the part numbers Crasher.

Can you get the thermostat housing off without removing the alternator, I don't think you can as the access seemed well blocked by the alternator when I tried, but just wondering if there is a way of doing it without removing the alt.?

Also, what are these 1.6 CAYC engines like for bleeding / starting after removal of the fuel rail and the injector pipes that need to be removed in order to remove the intake manifold? Do they start handy?

Also, any idea what likely to be the cause of a small oil leak where oil is sitting around the base of the injectors?

0 0 0

5. Re: Octavia Mk2 Thermostat leak - Help identifying pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You would need triple jointed arms to do that with the alternator in place. When a CR TDI fuel system has been opened up, even for a minor job, it MUST be fully bled using a diagnostic system for at least two minutes using the in tank pump and on models with one, the electric pump on the right strut housing. Failure to do this can easily cause the high pressure pump to eat its internals which then fill the system and all four injectors with aluminium particles and the cost of rectifying this damage can cost £5k even using aftermarket parts.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Octavia Mk2 Thermostat leak - Help identifying pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    You nearly need triple jointed arms to remove the alternator and reinstall it. The amount of parts, hoses and pipes you need to remove to gain access to replace the thermostat housing is unreal. And now to replace that pipe you gave me the part no. for, it looks like a load more stuff needs to be removed too, such as the oil filter housing at the front, and more hoses / pipes at the side of the engine under the air box side in order to get access to the side of that pipe. I think this pipe goes around to the egr cooler at the back of the engine.

I'm wondering if I can replace that pipe without removing the thermostat housing by removing everything in front of the pipe and at the side and pull the pipe out of the thermostat housing then. This pipe is pushed into the stat housing and not held on with an external clip. I think I can get access without removing the intake manifold and the fuel system that would have to be removed before the intake manifold.

Access on this whole engine would put me off ever buying a common rail one, it's a relatives car I'm working on, I'll stick with my PD engine for a long time yet

I think I read in the VW manual that you should use the diagnostic to bleed the fuel system as you say, but I think it said even when changing a fuel filter? Is that correct, can you not just fill the filter housing and start it?

0 0 0

7. Re: Octavia Mk2 Thermostat leak - Help identifying pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    In much of Europe, non EU6 diesels are going to rapidly become unusable as toxicity zones come into force. Many have been delayed by this stupid bug but the revenue they will bring in is just too much of a draw for councils; the knob who is the London mayor could barley conceal his excitement about how much money the London T zone had brought in. One of my customers went into London in here 3B Passat when the Congestion zone was not operating and stayed with her sister for a few days, leaving when the Congestion zone was not operating, she knew nothing about the T zone and that is runs 24/7 and she received a huge fine in the post a few days later.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Octavia Mk2 Thermostat leak - Help identifying pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    In much of Europe, non EU6 diesels are going to rapidly become unusable as toxicity zones come into force. Many have been delayed by this stupid bug but the revenue they will bring in is just too much of a draw for councils; the knob who is the London mayor could barley conceal his excitement about how much money the London T zone had brought in. One of my customers went into London in here 3B Passat when the Congestion zone was not operating and stayed with her sister for a few days, leaving when the Congestion zone was not operating, she knew nothing about the T zone and that is runs 24/7 and she received a huge fine in the post a few days later.
    Hey Crasher, I'm assuming your last post was meant for a different thread?
    I'd be interested in your opinion on needing to use a diagnostic tool on the fuel pumps when changing a filter only. I'm surprised there doesn't be more threads from folk running into bother trying to start them or having caused pump damage considering they need to be primed via a diagnostic tool.

0 0 0

9. Re: Octavia Mk2 Thermostat leak - Help identifying pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    No, it is the concept of putting even a penny into a non EU6 fuel of the Devil car, money down the drain.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Octavia Mk2 Thermostat leak - Help identifying pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    It was the oil filter housing that was leaking the coolant, I see from searching the net this seems to be a common enough issue. Access on this engine is woeful.

0 0 0