Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Knocking from the steering rack.

1. Knocking from the steering rack. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I serviced a friends 2012 VW Up last year at 94,000 miles. It has eng code CHYA and gearbox NZC. I mentioned that there was a knocking noise coming from the inner part of the steering rack but I could not detect any play despite removing the track rod ends from the hubs. I asked she bring it back in a few weeks for further examination. This did not happen but at the MOT at 101,000 miles, an advisory was mentioned “play in steering rack inner joints both sides”. The car is coming back to me in a few weeks at 104,000 miles.

My initial thoughts were that the steering rack would have to come off and the inner track rods would need to be checked and replaced. However looking at the service manual, there is an adjustment steering rack procedure for excessive play and knocking noise. The adjustment is carried out by adjusting a screw/bolt AT THE BASE OF THE RACK until the noise has disappeared.

I find this solution rather peculiar and would like a second opinion as to what is being adjusted and how would this compensate for wear.
    Thanks
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 0 0

2. Re: Knocking from the steering rack. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's possible to adjust some steering racks to take the play out of them. I adjusted my Landcruiser rack a few times for it's annual test, I'd always only fail / have play on the drivers side wheel. Basically the bar is worn and adjusting the screw / bolt tightens it up. On the cruiser it's simple, just undo a large outer locknut ring and then turn the adjusting bolt. Just turn it a tint bit at a time, mark it first, then turn like 1/8 of a turn and then check the play is gone and also that the steering wheel resistance hasn't gone too stiff when turning it.

If it's both sides though it may be a different problem to the bar like my cruiser, there could be play in the bushings that are inside the ends of the rack, these can be heated a little to re-harden them and take the play out of them I think. I'll check with my steering mate during the wk and update. Is this a non electric, hydraulic type rack, yeah?

0 0 0

3. Re: Knocking from the steering rack. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Thanks for your reply. Its an electric steering rack.
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 0 0