Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2001 2.5 tdi all road. Indicators on continually..!!

1. 2001 2.5 tdi all road. Indicators on continually..!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Morning all..
    Looking for a bit help with this one please...
    Had to move “rattler” (daughters affectionate name for the car) at the weekend after literally months of being stood .. tyres were flat suspension had dropped and a bit mouldy here n there inside.. She jumped pretty easily tho and soon settled into a steady tickover so I left it to charge battery for 20 mins or so.. hazard warning triangle was illuminated but not flashing, all indicators were on- moving the stalk made no difference, the central locking fobs (2) and lock button on drivers door not working and the suspension height button stuck on bottom and not raising at all- the yellow dash light permanently on but won’t adjust..!! Checked for signs of water but none inside nor under the bonnet near the bulkhead, pulled a few fuses and all still the same even when ticking over, only way I can turn the indicators off is to disconnect the battery.. everything else electrical is working as normal ... I’m no mechanic but not daft (...err...! ) any ideas as baffled.! Nothing electrical is sitting in any water as always clean drain holes and the damp inside is only condensation from sun as it’s been parked up so long...
    Cheers guys and gals.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: 2001 2.5 tdi all road. Indicators on continually..!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Mine was doing a variation of this.

Went to passenger footwell, take off "kick" panel next to left ankle when sitting there, the one that has a little sliver going up beside the dashboard in the door aperture. Then lift the bottom edge carpet retaining strip, now you can lift the carpet to get at the plastic box containing door lock control etc.

Inside the box is a control board (this is a bit like "pass the parcel " isn't it ) unplug and clean the edge connection with contact cleaner. Reinstate the connectors and test car now.

That's if the box has no water ingress. The carpet may be dry but underneath can be wet.

Question, can you operate all the door locks from the driver's door master switch?

0 0 0

3. Re: 2001 2.5 tdi all road. Indicators on continually..!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi. Thanks for reply.. no.. can’t lock or unlock any doors with the drivers door button.. (or buttons on either fob as have 2) can only manually lock/ unlock drivers door and boot with key.. I’ll have a go at that I guess even as I couldn’t find damp anywhere.. thanks for your advice. I’ll post back in a day/2 once checked it out..

0 0 0

4. Re: 2001 2.5 tdi all road. Indicators on continually..!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Oops, just re read your post and driver's door master switch not working.

Unplugging that control board i noted above appears to restore the lock system operation on mine, been ok in manual (my blippers don't work currently) for a few months now, so system is operating normally otherwise.

BUT if you use the key in the tailgate lock to lock the doors (don't ask, but mrs Hannu seems to do that routinely unbeknown to me! ) it sets the system to deadlocked on all doors but drivers again. I had to again unplug the control board to make it work. Took a while to figure that out.

So mine is kind of sensible and working ok like stated above.

Until you go to refuel it, you'll not remember that the fuel cap is also on the general door lock system too! I forgot about that.

0 0 0

5. Re: 2001 2.5 tdi all road. Indicators on continually..!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hmmm yes. That could be tricky.!! Thanks again

0 0 0

6. Re: 2001 2.5 tdi all road. Indicators on continually..!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could be a faulty hazard switch.
    04 allroad 2.5tdi v6,Hotchkis sports sway bars,pentagon glass,Sachs performance clutch,OEM RS6 spoiler, Arnott gen 11 air springs front with OEM shocks, rear with bilstein s4 shocks,Longlife stainless exhaust,Led interior lights,HEL braided brake hoses,Brembo 18Z 6 pot calipers,345mm amg discs ebc red stuff pads,allroad 4.2 rear calipers + vented disc,OEM Xenon Headlights,Camei grill,18" 8.5J RS4 alloys,yokohama wintrac 245/45/18 xl.

0 0 0

7. Re: 2001 2.5 tdi all road. Indicators on continually..!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannu5 View Post
    ...BUT if you use the key in the tailgate lock to lock the doors (don't ask, but mrs Hannu seems to do that routinely unbeknown to me! ) it sets the system to deadlocked on all doors but drivers again. I had to again unplug the control board to make it work. Took a while to figure that out.
    What happens to the indicators when this deadlock mode is triggered? It is common for a an alarm condition to also be indicated by doing something with the indicators but I have not checked for this model. It might be relevant to whether there is a fault (presumably with the controller) or whether it had just got into an unusual state.

0 0 0

8. Re: 2001 2.5 tdi all road. Indicators on continually..!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi all and thank you for your contributions.. I can confirm that it WAS water ingress that I hadn’t noticed as had loads of spares and bits and pieces in the car and couldn’t see the floor in front or back.. My drives on an angle sideways and there was 4” of water in the rear footwell and 2 -3” in the front thus the controller unit was literally under water - no wonder it was acting up.!! Anyways I ripped out carpets front and back and pumped it all out then jumped it and let it run for a couple of hours to try to dry it out a bit. The unit was already green with deposits and literally soaked through.. pulled the circuit board out any in was manky too. Didn’t hold out much hope of it working again as most of the board was covered in white / green scale and connectors were green and blue - all indicating likely years of water damage.. however I stood it on a radiator for a couple of hours to dry it out... then sprayed it liberally with brake cleaner and a good dusting with a soft hand brush - plugged it all back in — indicators still on.! Door locks still not working.. gutted... stuck another £20 diesel out of Jerry can in and left it running for another hour or so with the heater blowing down on the bare metal footwell and wiring harness - went out to check it after a coffee -lights were flashing and the lock button inside drivers door was working intermittently.. left it ticking over for another hour or so and all was back to normal again..!! Can’t believe it after the state then controller unit was in..! Indicators / hazards back on and locking working fine.. just need to recode keys, sort suspension, change gearbox oil and filter, refurb all calipers, replace 4 discs and pads then itll be a cracking car again..! It’s been off the road for 2/3 years now but it’s not worth getting rid for what I’d get for it and it was probably one of the best cars I’ve owned ... still can’t find how water got in tho as I’d cleaned drain holes and had battery in and out like a fiddlers elbow so could not see any pooling water under the bonnet / bulkhead.. I think may of been through cabin filter / air recirc feed as car was dipped on an angle for months ..

0 0 0

9. Re: 2001 2.5 tdi all road. Indicators on continually..!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Very pleased to hear you've got it working again. It is disappointing that whoever made the controller didn't water-seal the box it is in. It does seem a little foolish to have assumed that the interior can never get wet!

0 0 0