1. MOT Diesel Emissions Test Fail 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    My A4 1.9Tdi (110) recently failed the emissions test (current miles just under 150K).

The testing garage effected a cure to enable it to pass the test which involved the following parts:

-Diesel Fuel Conditioner
    -Leak Pipe Kit
    -Fuel Filter

So what did they actually do?

I had similar problems in 2018 and 2017, but in 2019 I put Cataclean in the tank a couple of weeks before the test and had no problems.

For several years now my annual mileage has been below 3K and over the last 12 months, less than 400 miles.
    1997 Audi A4 1.9TDI (110, AFN) Auto saloon in Ming blue. Now sold.

0 0 0

2. Re: MOT Diesel Emissions Test Fail 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    As there have been no replies to my post, I have to draw my own conclusions.
    This is what I think the procedure may have been:

The fuel filter was removed and replaced with a new one.
    The fuel filter was then filled with conditioner, using the Leak Pipe Kit.
    The engine was then run with the vehicle's electric pump disabled and additional fuel supplied via the Leak Pipe Kit.

I would like to know which type of Leak Pipe was used, as there seem to be a large number of options available on the Web and if any Forum member has tried this method.

0 0 0

3. Re: MOT Diesel Emissions Test Fail 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    UPDATE:

12 months passed, another MOT due and I am expecting another failed emission test.

Last year, there was no visible smoke, but still failed.

This time I have recently been experiencing intermittent clouds of black smoke under acceleration There is no smoke when revving the engine with the car stationary.

The car has only covered about 800 miles - mainly very short trips - during the last 12 months, so could this be a factor?

0 0 0

4. Re: MOT Diesel Emissions Test Fail 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Certainly short trips have caused a lot of emissions failures in the last year or so. I used to get good results on borderline cars by fitting a K&N filter to allow in a little more air and the pump settings can be tweaked both mechanically and digitally to reduce smoking but professionals out there that can do this VEP TDI work are getting fewer; in the last two weeks we have had two people with T4’s begging us to set them up but we don’t like doing them as tall ones won’t come in under the main door and they are all getting into such terrible condition it makes them evil to work on, yours doesn’t suffer the access issue so you should be able to find an old chap somewhere who knows how to set them up.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: MOT Diesel Emissions Test Fail 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the helpful comments, Crasher.

I last changed the air filter 16,000 miles ago, back in 2011, so that might be worth looking at.

I do have VAGCOM diagnostic software which would allow me to check injection timing, but I don't feel confident to do any mechanical tweaking. It's a shame you are too far away from Surrey.

May be I should also use VAGCOM to check for any sensor problems?

0 0 0

6. Re: MOT Diesel Emissions Test Fail 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You need to find yourself a VEP TDI chap, what an experienced type can do to get these running clean is miraculous but we are all popping off, I bet if they sliced my lungs open I would be beyond saving by even DPF Clean Team… rolling coal… cough, hack, errrrr…
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

7. Re: MOT Diesel Emissions Test Fail 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Just add half pint of home heating oil to your tank we have done this in many occasions job done

0 0 0

8. Re: MOT Diesel Emissions Test Fail 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Is there any chance of taking it on a bit of a run? Twenty or thirty minutes at over 2k rpm constant might give it a clear through.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

9. Re: MOT Diesel Emissions Test Fail 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions.

As I said in my OP, I have used Cataclean successfully in the past, but I don't have access to home heating oil.

I could try this again, but would need quite a lot as I have a full tank of fuel, replenished long before the current panic.

A bit of a run (AKA) Italian tune up, might be a good idea.
    Having checked last year's test results, I noticed that the garage clocked up 20 miles between fail and pass tests, so perhaps this was part of their remedy?

I've just been checking some old VAGCOM diagnostic results and noticed that MAP sensor errors popped up and were then cleared a couple of times, so maybe it was working intermittently and possibly is still doing this. I will have another go with VAGCOM, which I haven't used for several years, to see what it comes up with. In the meantime I have ordered a new MAP sensor which I will fit anyway, to replace the original which has been in place 25 yrs.

0 0 0