Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Been a member of the site for a while but this is my first post.

My other halfs 2011 MK6 Golf has recently developed a problem with the Air Conditioning. The vents do not produce cold air and there is a strange hissing noise inside the cabin from behind the dashboard but only when you turn the AC on. The fans in front of the engine do not come on either.

Also, I have noticed a strange noise coming from the compressor. I think (but could be wrong) that the noise I can hear inside is actually travelling through pipes or something and it just SOUNDS like the noise is inside the car.

I removed the wheel arch on the drivers side and I have noticed that the compressor is constantly spinning, whether the AC button is on or not.

Do I have a problem with my compressor? Am I right in thinking that the whole compressor should not be spinning until you engage the AC? The car seems to have a lot of heat coming off of it at the moment, even with just little local trips. Could that be because the clutch is permanently engaged and the compressor isn't being cooled because the fans aren't kicking in?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean
    Last edited by usher80; 21-06-2020 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Adding video of compressor

0 0 0

2. Re: MK6 Golf Air Conditioning Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    The compressor is designed to run constantly. It is a variable displacement type.

Although it runs all the time it is not pumping ac around when the ac is off. The gas flow is controlled by a valve on the compressor. When the system is off the compressor spins without a load. If gas flow is allowed by ac system the compressor is then forced by the gas to compress more, only then does it get to work as the angle of the swash plate changes.

The hard bit is that although it looks to be spinning the compressor, the shear plates are known to fail on the center splines. Hence the only way to check that I know of is if your ac is already working well (cooling) or by rotating the pulley by hand with belt off.

There are aftermarket repair kits available for the shear plate as it is a common failure.

I personally can not tell where the noise is coming from in your video but in my own mk6 ac is not coming on due to low gas (leak(s)) and my shear plate is pretty silent since there is no load on the compressor.

0 0 0

3. Re: MK6 Golf Air Conditioning Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverfan View Post
    The compressor is designed to run constantly. It is a variable displacement type.

Although it runs all the time it is not pumping ac around when the ac is off. The gas flow is controlled by a valve on the compressor. When the system is off the compressor spins without a load. If gas flow is allowed by ac system the compressor is then forced by the gas to compress more, only then does it get to work as the angle of the swash plate changes.

The hard bit is that although it looks to be spinning the compressor, the shear plates are known to fail on the center splines. Hence the only way to check that I know of is if your ac is already working well (cooling) or by rotating the pulley by hand with belt off.

There are aftermarket repair kits available for the shear plate as it is a common failure.

I personally can not tell where the noise is coming from in your video but in my own mk6 ac is not coming on due to low gas (leak(s)) and my shear plate is pretty silent since there is no load on the compressor.
    Thanks for the reply and the helpful info.

Just to clarify one thing (it might not be relevant). When I took the video on Friday I had the engine running and VCDS attached to the car. I opened the HVAC channel and clicked on output tests where you can ask it to engage the compressor. The funny quacking type noise you hear in the video only happened when I clicked start to run the test.

With the amount of heat coming from the engine bay after only a short trip, I'm thinking that the compressor is engaged and spinning but not getting the necessary cooling. I think I will get outside later, take the belt off and try spinning the compressor by hand. That should give me a better idea of what's going on.

I have seen quite a few sheer plates for the Delphi compressor but I haven't seen any repair kits for the Denso compressor, which is what this one is.

0 0 0

4. Re: MK6 Golf Air Conditioning Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Does it have any fault codes stored for the ac system?
    If its only making the noise with output tests I am thinking the system is otherwise prevented from running by the control module due to a fault.

0 0 0

5. Re: MK6 Golf Air Conditioning Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    In theory to test these you need a special current measuring tool which is daft money. In practice you are pretty safe to go by the rule “no codes, no cool, new compressor. The ones used on the Golf 7 are ridiculously failure prone which is not what you would expect from a Japanese made component.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: MK6 Golf Air Conditioning Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverfan View Post
    Does it have any fault codes stored for the ac system?
    If its only making the noise with output tests I am thinking the system is otherwise prevented from running by the control module due to a fault.
    It makes the noise that loudly when I do the output tests (which also sets off the hissing noise from inside the cabin) but I can hear it when I'm driving down the road now too. Not as loudly but I can definitely hear it.

0 0 0

7. Re: MK6 Golf Air Conditioning Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    In theory to test these you need a special current measuring tool which is daft money. In practice you are pretty safe to go by the rule “no codes, no cool, new compressor. The ones used on the Golf 7 are ridiculously failure prone which is not what you would expect from a Japanese made component.
    I'm just surprised that there's no codes as the fans aren't spinning. It's obviously sensing a fault for it not to get the fans rolling.

0 0 0

8. Re: MK6 Golf Air Conditioning Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    That suggests the system pressure is low which should store a code but you can view the pressure in measuring blocks. If the compressor fails the fans still don’t come on as the pressure does not go high.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: MK6 Golf Air Conditioning Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    That suggests the system pressure is low which should store a code but you can view the pressure in measuring blocks. If the compressor fails the fans still don’t come on as the pressure does not go high.
    I'll go outside in a minute and test that then. I think there is pressure in the system, but whether it's enough or not is a different matter.

Thanks for the info. Will report back in a bit.

0 0 0

10. Re: MK6 Golf Air Conditioning Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, I'm out here now with VCDS on my lap. It would not let me select Meas. blocks - 08 so I went in to Adv. Meas. Values and selected refrigerant pressure and the pressure went from about 3.4 bar to 7.0 bar with the AC switched on.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast