Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Yep, absolutely

Which is why car makers are trying to come up with new ways to make keyless entry "keys" safer.. that is , if they dont sense "movement" for x number of seconds they stop "emitting a signal" that the repeater system can then utilise. E.g. Put your key in a drawer at night, after 30 seconds it stops sending a signal looking for the car until you pick the key up to go to the car yourself

Its probably not foolproof but a (small) step in the right direction

Otherwise you stick your keys in an RFID blocking pouch or other devices are available to "secure" your keys... or of course bury your key in your garden lawn each night.. that might do it
    Q7 272PS | ABT Tuned to 325PS / 680Nm | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Matrix | Pan Roof | Trailer | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | TV | NightV | BOSE | DVD Chger | Homelink | Soft Doors | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Priv Glass | Heat W/Screen | Heat Steer Wheel | Adv Key | Elec Boot Cover | Elec Steer Column | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Light | Heat+Fold Mirrors | Park Assist Pack | Adv TPMS | Load Fix Kit | Black Turbine Alloys | Matte Black Wrap | ABT Door Leds

0 0 0

2. Re: Retrofit convenience key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhud007 View Post
    Which is why car makers are trying to come up with new ways to make keyless entry "keys" safer.. that is , if they dont sense "movement" for x number of seconds they stop "emitting a signal" that the repeater system can then utilise. E.g. Put your key in a drawer at night, after 30 seconds it stops sending a signal looking for the car until you pick the key up to go to the car yourself
    IMHO these kind of the products are the absolute proove of the consumer society, the born of the Homo Gobblicus Nonthinkicus.

IMHO, all these inventions are definitely not gives the proper answer to the original problem, while these will double the risk, as the users will feel safer. And that's what is absolutely not true. Let me remind the car manufacturers for such rare situations like the user walks on the street, spends time in a shopping mall, or in a workplace, or even for such situation, when the human beeing is still alive and moves.

or of course bury your key in your garden lawn each night.. that might do it
    It's a remarcably good idea compared to the manufacturers idiotism. However, before the standardisation of your theory, IMHO please do not forget to mention, that it's a mandatory thing to use the Faraday pouch as a coffin during the funeral ceremony.

Then yes, this way, you could be more-or-less safe, if you wash carefully your hand after the dinner, so your dog will not dig out the key like a bonus bone

So the dogs, yes, always the dogs ruins the benefits of the brand new world.
    Audi Q7/4M MY2016, 3.0 TDI/200 KW Quattro

0 0 0

3. Re: Retrofit convenience key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    When I bought my Q7 S-Line it was three years old. I had been looking for a model with a big list of options.
    I fell in love with a model with every option on my list and more. Rear steering, trailer assist, matrix headlights, night vision, TV, B&O, soft close, 360 cameras, pan roof, dynamic lights, heated screen, dvd changer with rear seat screens, tech pack, every assist package etc etc. Even exclusive paint and leather. To trump that it had only 25,000 miles on the clock. (To me that’s brand new!) The original owner had ticked every box on the option list apart from Advanced key. What I couldn’t understand was that having spent over £85.000 anyway, why not tick the last box for £900?
    So, I decided to put this matter right. Having checked that all the pins I needed were present on my convenience module and the fact that I did have sweeping indicators was assured that I had the “high” module so went ahead and purchased everything I needed off fleabay. All door sensors and aerial’s including the virtual pedal bits for the boot opening. I made up all the harnesses myself and spent some considerable time and effort installing everything. After consulting with Andy I set about doing all the coding using VCDS. End result Nothing! After comparing add maps etc. with Andy It now appears that I will have to change the software in my module ( something I do not have the equipment or knowledge to do ) or change my module to one with the correct addmap, along with the problems of having to get my keys matched to the new module, something I assume only the dealer can do.
    Having been out of action for a few months due to illness I have not proceeded any further.
    In the meantime, I have been reading with interest on the forums and TV, about the downfall of Kessy. I am beginning to realise that the original purchaser of my car may not have been so short-sighted in his choice after all and may have been savvier than I had thought and deliberately left that box unticked to safeguard his pride and joy.
    Well, now I’m in somewhat of a quandary, Do I finish what I started and then give myself the problems with Kessy that I don’t have now, just for the novelty of not pressing a button. Or do I leave things as they are, accept that I have wasted money, effort and time, but rest easy of a night time, knowing that my pride and joy will probably still be there in the morning ?

A massive thankyou to Andy who has helped me install Home-link and TPMS , which just needs coding, again, with Andy’s help, when I fit and well of course. I don’t think these options were available in the UK so I can forgive the initial buyer for not having them!

Just a side point, when I have been looking at coding options for Kessy I am sure it could be disabled via coding fairly easily for others who are paranoid! So you won’t have to disturb your front lawn!

1 0 0

4. Re: Retrofit convenience key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Right well that solves that consideration then. Will leave it with the standard key and the wife will have to fumble around in her bag at the expense of not having the car nicked so easily by a signal reader! Thanks all.

0 1 0

5. Re: Retrofit convenience key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Just an update for anyone interested.

With the help of Andy, we revisited this and am happy to say that Andy was able to update the software in my convenience module in order to get Kessy up and running!!

The man is a star without a doubt!

Another shout out about him. Get in touch and I'm sure he can advise on or even do your retrofit for you.

0 1 0

6. Re: Retrofit convenience key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mazerati View Post
    Just an update for anyone interested.

With the help of Andy, we revisited this and am happy to say that Andy was able to update the software in my convenience module in order to get Kessy up and running!!

The man is a star without a doubt!

Another shout out about him. Get in touch and I'm sure he can advise on or even do your retrofit for you.
    Very interested in doing this myself! I really want convenience of leaving the key in my pocket! When you said you checked your convenience module had all the pins, where were you looking?

0 0 0

7. Re: Retrofit convenience key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Hi,

This retrofit was fairly straight forward but don't be fooled very time consuming and a lot of work to install the wiring and door sensors.
    The door handles can be a pig! But was worth the effort.
    If you already have keyless go ( start button ) some of what you need is already installed if not then its a much bigger job!
    Lets consider you have Keyless go. then-
    You need two Ariel's one for each rear door.
    Four door handle sensors to fit inside each handle.
    The necessary harnesses you will probably need to make up yourself.
    That's it for keyless entry.
    If you also plan to install the kick boot open feature as I did you will need:-
    The sensor module to mount behind the bumper and the pick-up loop
    The new boot closing switch with two buttons instead of one,
    If you get second hand bits ask the sellers for the plugs that go with any bits, this makes life a lot easier.
    You must have sweeping rear lights otherwise the convenience module probably needs changing which involves key programming and lots more.
    The Convenience module is mounted to the left of the boot floor and the side trim needs to come out to get at it.
    The connections you require at all in socket T20b ( if I remember right it is the blue plug ).
    These pins need to be there:-
    2 / 3 ----- left rear door Ariel.
    5 / 6------right rear door Ariel.
    12--------Rear Right door handle sensor.
    13--------Rear Left door handle sensor.
    14--------Front Right door handle sensor.
    15--------Front Left door handle sensor.

If these pins are present then you are almost there.
    I also needed Andy to update the internal software to activate these pins. Luckily he could do this remotely.
    Give him a bell, he is a very friendly and knowledgeable chap.

Good luck!

0 0 0

8. Re: Retrofit convenience key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

Im very interested in doing this myself too!

I bought all sensors, antennas and cables for the keyless entry but cant find any documentation / manual how to install it. Also cant find anything the kick boot open feature.

Could you please let me know where i could find the documentation?

thanks and regards,

0 0 0

9. Re: Retrofit convenience key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mazerati View Post
    I also needed Andy to update the internal software to activate these pins. Luckily he could do this remotely.
    Give him a bell, he is a very friendly and knowledgeable chap.
    Hi @mazerati and @andyhud007

I'm interested in doing this too. I'm pretty confident I can manage the wiring / sensors / ariels but do you have any more details on the coding side? I have VCDS - is that sufficient or is ODIS required? Any hints gratefully recieved!

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12