Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys,
    Sorry for my first post to be a request for help, but I'm having some trouble with my 1.4 TSI scirocco. I bought it as a bit of a project with piston failure on cyl 1 - compression test showed around 80psi; I had it running briefly when I first bought it after I cleared all the hoses of oily muck - it didn't run well but ran nonetheless. A little while later I was trying to make sure the turbo wasn't leaking oil etc after having a bit of a clean up, but it was just firing then dying. I decided to press on with repairing the engine regardless, piston 1 had some impressive damage around the ring lands. A new set of pistons and a rehone, timing chain and a few other bits changed while there, and the result is a good even 170 psi across all cylinders. Unfortunately however it's still starting then dying just as prior to the engine work. I've checked and double-checked:

-cam timing- I've rechecked since it's all been together and it seems perfect, the car also starts briefly and has good compression so I'm pretty confident all is well. The cam timing was set correctly with the cam locking tool and a dial gauge
    -fuel - there's fuel at the HPFP, vcds shows 60 bar on measured values, there's plenty of fuel in the bores and the spark plugs are wet. If I crank the car over with no plugs in, fuel is ejected. I've put in some fresh fuel too to make sure it's all good.
    -spark - spark tester lights up as expected on each coil, I've chucked in a new set of plugs for good measure
    -throttle body - I've recalibrated it and removed the hose to it to see it moving to make sure it is functioning
    -fault codes - all clear and none re-appearing, I've reset to ensure all trims are reset, and left the battery off overnight. The battery is new.
    -live data - cranking shows 300rpm or so, ign angle of 8 degrees ish, can see load % moving about, everything seems normal.

I'm a bit stuck on what to try next, any ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
    Tim

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.4 TSI 160 starting then dying 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Panic over, not really sure why it wouldn't start, but I had the inlet off to the TB and after a bit it decided to fire!

0 0 0

Similar Threads

1. Help key fob keeps dying
    By Monty Liu in forum Audi A4 - B6 Forum - 2002 - 2005
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-12-2015, 10:51 PM
  2. 3TDi starting issues/ dying issues
    By 20vcqdriver in forum Audi A6 - C6 Forum - 2005 - 2010
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-05-2014, 10:01 AM
  3. car keeps dying
    By mark78 in forum Passat - B5 Forum - 1997 -2005