1. Another annoying metallic noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I've had my fantastic SQ7 for just over a week now. I'm amazed at the way it drives and love getting behind the wheel. Unfortunately though there is a small but really annoying noise. It only occurs from 30mph and upwards and doesn't go away with speed. As I sit in the drivers seat (uk) it is on my right hand side. It's a faint but high pitched squeak, sort of metallic in sound like coins clicking or two bits of metal rubbing, even a bit like an electrical crackle. Now I've heard it once I'm listening for it all the time and it's already driving me mad. I bought the car second hand (2018 model) with 12k miles but from a dealer a couple of hundred miles away, so I didn't have the chance to test drive it before I got it. It's also a bit tricky to return it. Any thoughts on here as to what the noise might be or how to track its source? My original plan was to keep this car for a long time but that will change if I can't fix this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 1 0

2. Re: Another annoying metallic noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Totally get it..

Somehow there's a loada if these noises from the gist of messages normally popping up here.. coming from various places.. different for different Q7s from the looks of it... Super annoying either way..

We've had ours since 2016.. And a cracking nose has started when the cars idling and initially pulls away to higher gear (uk)..

Sad thing is I could explain all this when it goes in but 99.9% of the time they can't fix, replicate it.. it actually started after three last service so who knows..

Hope you get to the bottom of your issue, I've given up pursuing niggles like these as they simply take up too much of my time that needs focusing elsewhere...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

0 1 0

3. Re: Another annoying metallic noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Indeed - the time and hassle for something that may be impossible to trace or fix. This is a bloody expensive car though and it could end up driving me mad - or deaf from playing loud music to cover it up!

0 0 0

4. Re: Another annoying metallic noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Do you have car seats or other attachments in the car? it could these things rattling as well rather than the car itself. I had rattles from the clip-on type rear screen holder that I installed on the driver seat headrest, and from one of my baby seats, because the car is so quiet, you pickup so much more of this kind of stuff in the Q7...

If it is something that happens during car idling, it is easier to find, just start the car and climb to the back and try to locate it... but for something that happens at a higher speed like yours, you will need someone help driving the car while you try to trace the issue..

If nothing else installed in the car, start with the loose bits first such as the seat belt buckle/clip. they could be rubbing against the trims at speed... remember there are some additional belts in the boot, make sure they are retracted fully into the housing so they are not rubbing the boot panel..

And it could also be the parcel shelf? try with it removed...

Good luck!
    Q7 272PS S-Line | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Tour Pack Adv | Leather Pack | Park Assist Pack | Comfort & Sound Pack | All-Wheel Steering | Matrix | Pan Roof | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | Full Valcona | Heated Rear Seats | Night Vision | BOSE | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Heated Windscreen | Heated Steering Wheel | Adv Key | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Lighting | Heated Mirrors | 360 Cameras | Rear Airbags | Glacier White | Gloss Black Alloys | Carbon Door Mirrors | Black Roof Rails | Rear Sunblinds | Audi LED Entry Lights | De-badged

0 1 0

5. Re: Another annoying metallic noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Yes that's right it will more than likely be a case of process of elimination with the hood open as well, I had thought about that.. case of when next time etc...

0 0 0

6. Re: Another annoying metallic noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks - there's nothing "extra" in the car and it's definitely in the area around the drivers seat. Road surface makes no difference just speed. Below 30mph, no noise. Above 30mph, squeak.

0 0 0

7. Re: Another annoying metallic noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Braehead View Post
    Thanks - there's nothing "extra" in the car and it's definitely in the area around the drivers seat. Road surface makes no difference just speed. Below 30mph, no noise. Above 30mph, squeak.
    Not in my current car, but I had a similar noise in the C7, and the problem was related to the first left wheel bearing. Honestly, in my current car I have an annoying whistle like sound, and I'm afraid, it could be the brake pad, or the disc, as the noise appears, and disappears, when I move the wheel to a little bit of left or right. Honestly I didn't figured out the problem, but I'm on it
    Audi Q7/4M MY2016, 3.0 TDI/200 KW Quattro

0 1 0

8. Re: Another annoying metallic noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Can't even say3 shoddy workmanship anymore lol... Possibly factory QC sucks or takes shortcuts

0 0 0

9. Re: Another annoying metallic noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My car is doing the same with the same rattle . A metallic metal noise the comes and goes . It is very high pitched and seems to be comming from right rear inside the car (drivers side) . What was the outcome of your problem. Or does anybody else have any ideas ?

0 0 0

10. Re: Another annoying metallic noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    It may not be relevant to this, but when I got my new Q7 some years ago I was driven mad by a rattle under the passenger seat. Audi determined it to be debris in the heater duct that surfaces under the seat, and quoted the cost to disassemble. I declined and fashioned a flexible hose and attached to a vacuum cleaner and extracted the blanking plug from the rear 12v supply that fall in.

Worth bearing in mind!
    Also, the usual irritant is the rear seat belt buckle knocking off the trim....

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast