Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi, slight update since the last post.

The manifold was cleaned up, it's not perfect but it's much better now than in these pictures. They've also fitted a new sensor (I'm sorry I'm not 100% sure which one but I think they said around the back of the engine).

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-11 at 17.35.25 (2).jpg WhatsApp Image 2020-03-11 at 17.35.25.jpg

I picked the car up again earlier after they'd taken it for a 30 min test drive error free, they weren't 100% happy with it still but suggested I give it a go, got about 500 metres from the garage, hit the first hill climb and the car was struggling, no boost in 3rd up to 3000 revs then booooom "Engine Fault Workshop". I took it straight back to the garage who scanned it, I didn't see the error code but saw multiple possible causes, some of which they've already checked/sorted.

I'll try and get some more information from them tomorrow. When I left they were removing the front bumper to check the intercooler for leaks (again).
    Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI SE NAV DSG 4motion 195bhp (Stage 1 remap)

Sheffield, UK

0 0 0

2. Re: P0299 - 006 - ControlRange Not Reached - Intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The fault code number is the starting point.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: P0299 - 006 - ControlRange Not Reached - Intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Looks like your flap rail is leaking from the swivel joint side as there is a lot of sooty deposits on the outside of the manifold. This is very difficult to repair as it is plastic that has worn away although some really clever bods would be able to fabricate something I'm sure. I would be tempted to swap it for the metal non flap version and delete the actuator part of the vacuum and electrical circuits, a common swap. The slight pressure loss from the inlet manifold may be enough to cause odd running or pop a fault code.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

4. Re: P0299 - 006 - ControlRange Not Reached - Intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies guys.

We are on to turbo number 3 (from a different supplier) fitted at no cost to me (it was getting fitted tonight so I'll know the outcome tomorrow). They did mention the sooty deposits on the manifold, there were some other issues that were sorted that they say caused the build up.

Do you happen to know the part number / cost of the metal non flap version if I did decide on replacing it?

Many thanks,

Nick.

Sheffield, UK

0 0 0

5. Re: P0299 - 006 - ControlRange Not Reached - Intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Yes it would be 03G 129 713 as found commonly on BKD engines and the cost would be in the region of £120 to £140. Some bracket modification would be required to fit the existing engine cover after the swap.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

6. Re: P0299 - 006 - ControlRange Not Reached - Intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Are they still getting P0299?

Ask them to disconnect the 3mm vacuum hose from the tandem pump to servo vacuum line and apply a vacuum to the 3mm line and see what happens i.e. if they can generate a vacuum or draw air.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: P0299 - 006 - ControlRange Not Reached - Intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info Mitch, and Crasher and I'll pass on what you've asked.

I've just spoken to the garage, they've fitted the 3rd turbo and it's the same as the 2nd turbo as in bottom end there is no power and it's not boosting until around 3000 rpm, even then there is no-where near the power that it should be producing, it's not error'd on the short drive they took it on and they can't take it much further as the front bumper is off. Displaying the same symptoms as before so the turbo isn't the fault.

Now investigating the exhaust system / dpf for any blockages before they check anything else.

Sheffield, UK

0 0 0

8. Re: P0299 - 006 - ControlRange Not Reached - Intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Have they done an output test in basic settings 011 with the engine idling? When they do this, the revs should rise to about 1200 and the arm of the turbo be seen to go from min to max and back about every ten seconds, it is a very quick and easy test to see if the system is working as I suspect it is not.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: P0299 - 006 - ControlRange Not Reached - Intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher, I've passed that on. If it's not working what do you suggest to try next?

DPF has checked out OK by the way.

Sheffield, UK

0 0 0

10. Re: P0299 - 006 - ControlRange Not Reached - Intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It can simply be a control system vacuum leak or failed N75 valve but in the vast majority of cases I have seen, under-boost is a loss vacuum in the control system, often just a split piece of vacuum hose.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast