1. Replacing rear discs abd pads on 2014 Touareg 7P with EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I am changing the rear discs and pads for a 2014 Touareg 7P 52PJ and brakes code 2EG. My question is:

Can I replace the disc without having to use VCDS on basic settings to retract the parking brake before I do any work? Ross Tech seems to suggest that this is OK.

I appreciate that once the discs are changed I will have to use VCDS to measure the air gap to ensure it is within spec. If not in spec I will have to adjust the shoes to be within spec. But after doing that, do I need to use basic settings to reset the electronic parking brake, or just measure the air gap.
    Thanks
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 0 0

2. Re: Replacing rear discs abd pads on 2014 Touareg 7P with EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Beware, this can turn into a total sketch that not even VCDS can deal with. I use either Delphi which has it sussed or ODIS which is slow, painful and expensive. Even if you don’t change the shoes they still have to be gapped to the drum at approx 1.8mm and then “ground in” and this is a process that to be honest is daft, the instruction tells you to drive at a steady speed of around 30 Km for approx 500 meters in a straight line without varying whilst it grinds the drums into the shoes to set up the electric parking brake. Now I have got it sussed and unfortunately end up with local garages bringing them to me to set up, like last Friday at 4pm and I was like, “yeh, Monday but not now!”
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Replacing rear discs abd pads on 2014 Touareg 7P with EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Thanks form the advice Crasher. I enter the Lions Den tomorrow, and will tread with extreme caution. I am a sucker for a challenge. If I fall! it will cost me in terms of reputation and financially but then, the experience will enlighten me hopefully.

I may be making an SOS call to a Crasher type Co near Basingstoke.

I will keep you updated.

0 0 0

4. Re: Replacing rear discs abd pads on 2014 Touareg 7P with EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    A bit of a false start this morning. I thought the calliper bolts were M12 spline, but they turned out to be M14. I called a dozen motor factors and tool shops and none had them in stock. so I will try again after my customer comes back from holiday.

However I looked at a few bits of data on VCDS. Looking at module 53. Parking brake, I get the following options, but no option to retract the EPB. The protocol is UDS. Any idea? I may have to upgrade my aging laptop which still runs of Windows XP. Another interesting point was that in looking at advanced measurements. The airgap on the left was 2.350mm and the right was 2.502mm, so the right is just outside spec. Max is 2.400mm

VCDS1.jpg

0 0 0

5. Re: Replacing rear discs abd pads on 2014 Touareg 7P with EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Which level of VCDS are you using?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Replacing rear discs abd pads on 2014 Touareg 7P with EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    problems seeing Module 53 options on a Touareg

If you mean the software version, I am using VCDS release 19.6.1 on Windows XP.

In case you cant read the picture. The options are as follows:

Static current measuring mode
    Air gap calibration
    Electromechanical parking brake erase activation counter
    Lamp Test
    Reset start up
    Setze Einschleif-Zustand

Its UDS protocol. Why cant I see the option to retract or replace the parking brake linings.

I have tried this on my A7 and I can see the options to retract and change the brake linings.

Thanks

0 0 0

7. Re: Replacing rear discs abd pads on 2014 Touareg 7P with EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The A7 uses a different system, in address 53 you should see something along the lines of "moving parking brake motor to assembly position", I know it can do it as we have done a few, I think it is in basic settings 04. The air gap spec is 1.9 > 2.4 mm, we try and get it to 2.2.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Replacing rear discs abd pads on 2014 Touareg 7P with EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I have just done a bit more research and it appears that you don't go into basic settings on address 53 to retract the epb, but Output test to "open calliper", do the work and then "close calliper" (meaning the motor for the shoes). This in-turn will produce a fault code which can only be cleared when the grinding process is done.

Dare I try to remove the disc without isolating the epb. MMM!

0 0 0

9. Re: Replacing rear discs abd pads on 2014 Touareg 7P with EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It is the grinding process that makes make cry, I have yet to be able to complete it with VCDS.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Replacing rear discs abd pads on 2014 Touareg 7P with EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all new to this forum so thank you for any help in advance. I have a 2014 Touareg I took the car in to a local garage to have front and back pads replaced they then told me they needed car for longer as could not get a coed to set breaks. After 2 days the car was big with them but had been sent to a main dealer they said that they had wiped the program of the system and because the hand break shoes had not been replaced the program won’t work because they are half worn. The main dealer told me that the garage that had the car should not have needed to plug anything in to replace pads. Now I’m left with a warning light on. They are telling me that the shoes need replacing so the hand break can calibrate has anyone had this problem thanks John

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast