Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A6 3.0 TDI - sudden smoke & oil loss

Driving along then suddenly clouds of grey/white/blue smoke. Crawled a few miles home, smoke much less off load. Within ten miles, low oil warning.
    Car has had history of periodic blue smoke 'bombs' (usually only after unusual attitudes eg multi-storeys etc), so a few months ago I vented the CCV
    to atmosphere (via a filter) and the blue smoke 'bombs' completely stopped. Was planning a catch can, but was proving difficult. Now this.

Nothing on VCDS.
    No lights on dash.
    No rough running.
    Idles normally with no smoke.
    No smoke on start up or when cold.
    No change in power.
    Starts and drives normally.

Suspected turbo. No damage to compressor. Clean, with a little fresh oil at intake, but normal 2-3mm radial end float and not touching casing.
    Axially, normal play guessing about 0.1-0.2mm. Spins freely. Spindle not broken.
    Turbine, no damage. Same axial play, but radial end float barely detectable. Matt black apearance. No visible oil.
    Actuator freely operates throughout range.

Charge air from turbo, found a little fresh golden oil (just been seviced) . Enough to dribble one end to the other, but pipe clean other than that.
    I'm not convinced it's turbo.

CCV/PCV? Tried a surgical glove at idle, barely half inflates. However I havent (yet) tried that at normal RPMs. I can see a little oil collected at the
    bottom of the 'V', right near the CCV, which could be suggestive of it being blocked/high crankcase pressure.
    I sucked on this CCV pipe from the air inlet end and it was definately blocked solid. YET, when the engine is running smoke oil is seen.
    Is my suck too little and proves nothing, or does this suggest high crankcase pressure to open the valve?

Wonderful car, hard to find now with rare high spec and still with sensible miles, but I'm tempted to throw it in the river!

Any ideas please?
    A6, C6, ‘55, BMK, S-line, 4F5, 7GN, Sunroof, Bose, Xenons, LEDs, Valcona, Pearlescent

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - sudden smoke & oil loss 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Sounds like injectors diluting the oil which then pulses into the intake system and engine, it can cause runaway which is bloody scary...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - sudden smoke & oil loss 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, Crasher. I wondered same initially, but there is/was no diesel smell to the old/new oil (also still thick consistency), and VCDS show all injectors within sensible individual and group (each bank) limits. Plus, why would that manifest suddenly?
    Scary yes, but I dont have a choice right now, to not runaway (pun intended ), but to try and figure this out. This didnt build up over time (I dont think), something 'blew' within 100 yards.
    Could the CCV have suddenly blocked, causing over pressure up the turbo oil drain pipe, enough to push oil out the compressor side seal? It is the most worn, by radial play?
    So few clues, where do I start?
    A6, C6, ‘55, BMK, S-line, 4F5, 7GN, Sunroof, Bose, Xenons, LEDs, Valcona, Pearlescent

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - sudden smoke & oil loss 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Well the compressor doesn't actually have a seal as such, it is termed as a "piston ring" which is odd but true and if crankcase pressure is too high this can be overwhelmed and dump oil in the charge air system and even cause the shaft to break as we saw happen on an S6 V8T late last year when the drain back screen became blocked and the shaft snapped, then the turbine wheel off the right bank fell out into the cat and then filled the exhaust from turbo to tailpipe with the entire contents of the sump!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - sudden smoke & oil loss 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ouch! I hope that's not that loverly blue one near Oxford I have had my beady eye on in AT...

Did the spindle snap due to oil burning erosion at the piston? How did you prove the overpressure, to correct the underlying cause?

This does perhaps appear to broadly fit my scenario. Since my turbo is already off, despite no obvious external sign anything is amiss with it, I wonder whether a quick internal check is a prudent next step?
    Then, check turbo drain pipe clear, refit turbo and somehow rule in/out overpressure. Suck out any charge air/IC pipework oil before starting, then try to determine if CCV diaphragm is blocked (surgical glove above idle rpm). Any other way to test this?
    The only other culprit I can think of is excessive blowby (compression tests), but the motor is/was strong, no missing and never used a drop between services.
    Can you think of anything else? Does that sound a sensible plan to you? I really appreciate your help.

This is the third major smoking issue in four years (the first two I managed to solve myself), so this might become my first and LAST diesel.

"What sanity knows we need, is an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham". Oh, how true!

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - sudden smoke & oil loss 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Well that car now has tow shiny new genuine turbos and the owner about £7K lighter of pocket, damn things are not repairable or available from anyone aftermarket. When we called TPS I asked them to check UK stock and Dorden had dozens of paris of them and at £5k a pair you don't kep that many for a very uncommon engine unless there is an "issue" When buying the new huffers ETKA says to also order another part, this is the return filter screen. When we took it apart, the screen was blocked and the new one made of a coarser material... I will leave that one ti your imagination but yes, it is a known issue and no, I is black. For some stupid reason I can't find my pictures of the new ones fitted., they looked sexy.... I like the sticker on the intercooler, basically it says if you drive with the engine cover off, you will set fire to the bonnet...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - sudden smoke & oil loss 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's a pity, I thought the S6 C7 was something of a (relative) reliability gem.
    That's the second time I've heard of such expensive issues on it.
    I assume the RS is the same risk with the hot vee twins?
    German sticker humour, you know .

Thanks again Crasher, no mesh on mine, but I’ll pay particular attention to the that drain.
    Last edited by 'WG'; 11-05-2019 at 10:51 AM.

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - sudden smoke & oil loss 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - sudden smoke & oil loss 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Noted, thanks

0 0 0

10. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - sudden smoke & oil loss 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Turbo passed inspection. Drain is clear, no screen, and no crud.
    Crankcase ventilation valve and pipe to it, looks like new. No crud in pipe.
    CCV blows freely from both ends, which is really weird, as when it situ it was completely blocked when suck/blow from intake end.
    Only sign anything wrong in the V is some water!
    How could this cause smoke and oil loss?
    Can anyone connect the dots?
    What a mare.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast