Notices

User Tag List

Thread: VR6 wont start for no known reason (1 out of 20 times)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. VR6 wont start for no known reason (1 out of 20 times) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

Whilst its only 1 in 20 times its very annoying. Symptoms are always the same.

Car drives perfectly, turn off, key out go shopping or to a mates, return to car, car turns over for a good minute if I want it too, battery is plenty strong but no matter what it will not start.
    The remedy......Leave car in a mood with itself for 20 mins to half an hour and try again and you can bet your pound it will start first time like a brand new car.

I want to keep my VR6 forever. I bought it just last month, full dealer service history with 105k on clock. Its immaculate, drives like a new car. Totally standard as a VR6 highline with original everything. Every sign the previous owner was the old guy I bough it from who sold due to bad health. I have wanted a VR6 but the right VR6 IE not a thrashed halfords boy racer mess for since the 90s. Now i happily single and married to this car happily.

Id really like to get it as tip top as I can and need to therefore have faith in it. What should I be looking at re why it 1 in 20 times wont start?

(This car is my main and only drive. Not wealthy to own a car for good weather only or whatever)

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Re: VR6 wont start for no known reason (1 out of 20 times) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Which year is it? There are early, mid and late types that differ quite a lot.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

3. Re: VR6 wont start for no known reason (1 out of 20 times) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, ah I didn't know that. Mine is an R reg making it 1997

0 0 0

4. Re: VR6 wont start for no known reason (1 out of 20 times) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You have the late system with a motorised throttle body for idle control, often incorrectly called the OBDII system. If I remember correctly these do not use an ECU relay like the earlier type so to me it sounds like a faulty crankshaft speed sensor and although a code read would be a good idea, a faulty G28 speed sensor does not usually leave a code so you often have to change them based on a guess rather than firm evidence. The diagnostic plug is behind the curved trim above the ashtray, you remove the ashtray and slide the cover off to expose the plug.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: VR6 wont start for no known reason (1 out of 20 times) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hiya mate. Ill certainly give that attention. Thanks for the heads up.

I have ben doing a lot of research on this and came across another thread (off another forum hope you dont mind) and its stated changing the relay packs 30 and 167 (ECU and Fuel Pump) fixed the prob for them. I do get no two cars are the same. Do you think thats worth a look too? Im trying to learn what I can but up until this point in my life I haven't been even a hobbiest mechanic

0 0 0

6. Re: VR6 wont start for no known reason (1 out of 20 times) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I can’t double check until tomorrow but your car does not have an ECU relay.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: VR6 wont start for no known reason (1 out of 20 times) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is this video documenting the right thing I need to change Crasher? VW A3: 2.8L AAA VR6 Engine Speed Sensor Replacement (Crank Sensor) - YouTube

Regards

0 0 0

8. Re: VR6 wont start for no known reason (1 out of 20 times) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes, that's the one. We have just done one today on a Golf 5 GTI. I checked the ELSAwin wiring diagram and as I thought, the later AAA engine from August 1995 production does not use the troublesome "30" relay at position 3 on the fuse box, the ignition live to the ECU is direct from fuse 15 and there is an an unfused permanent live from the same internal feed as for the fuel pump relay.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: VR6 wont start for no known reason (1 out of 20 times) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate. Thanks for taking the time for looking that up for me. Appreciated.

From the video it looks an easy job to do myself? Is that right? Just looks plug and play or am I missing something?

0 0 0

10. Re: VR6 wont start for no known reason (1 out of 20 times) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crasher you have been a source of info and im very thankful. Could you please point me to the exact part I will need to buy for my particular model VR6.

Ive just fitted H&R springs and had a night mare. Basically the spring top hats were all wrong and after much research and buying anything but the right thing I realised the top hat had been revised. As such the H&R springs fitted an older version golf VR6 (that I didn't know existed) with the older (much wider) top hat. The solution in the end was buy the older top hats what my version of golf fine. Problem solved. How I wish I knew what I found out by research , forums, buying the wrong thing for weeks much quicker.

As such please if you have any info re a part number and if it wouldn't be of much trouble could you please link me to the part. Ill stick you on my xmas card list I promise

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast