Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Steering pulling to the right after tracking, alignment and troubleshooting

1. Question Steering pulling to the right after tracking, alignment and troubleshooting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi,

I recently replaced my stock 17" wheels with a set of used 18" OEM wheels, with the hope of reducing roll / improving handling.

20181211_114423.jpg

Having had the wheels balanced and fitted; I noticed the car was pulling to the right. This didn't happen with my 17" wheels but they were thinner at 225 (the 18s are 245).

This is what I've had done so far to resolve the problem:

• I took it to a well respected chap for tracking & alignment (he checked all the wheels and resolved two flats spots which was a bit pricey but worth it). He said that he'd corrected too much toe-in. Unfortunately the pull to the right was still there.
    • I thought it must be the used tyres on the fronts (reasonably old) so I had them replaced. The pull to the right was still there!
    • I got another highly regarded place to swap the front wheels over (left ot right) do tracking, alignment. They also checked for play in the bushes - all nice and tight. The pull to the right still persisted
    • I swapped the rear wheels from left to right - the pull to the right still persists The rear tyres are used (they came on the alloys) but I think if it was the rear tyres / alloys causing the pulling, there would have been a noticeable difference when they were swapped over?

HELP!

I can only think that the issue is something to do with the steering rack or suspension. Any ideas / suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
    Al

PS: The car has always torque-steered quite violently in 3rd gear (when giving it beans!) and the handling on the 17s was a little unnerving whilst cornering as speed. I wonder if there is something fundamentally wrong - twisted chassis!?
    [ My Cars: 2011 Caravelle SE TDI (140) LWB | 2015 L200 Barbarian 2.4 DI-D | 2015 Mini Cooper SD ]
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0
    V6 TDI Qttr | A4 3.0 TDI Qttr S-Line | S6 4.2 Qttr | A4 2.5 V6 TDI Qttr Sport | A4 1.9 TDI Qttr S-Line | A4 SE 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant | 2.0 TFSI Roadster ]
    [ Past VWs: Mk1 GTI Cab | Mk3 2.0 Cab |
    Mk3 VR6 | Mk4 R32 | Mk4 V6 MoFo | Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI| Mk4 Supercharged 2.0 6-speed | VW Touran 2.0 TDI DSG ]

0 0 0

2. Re: Steering pulling to the right after tracking, alignment and troubleshooting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Somebody pointed out that if I've only been for 2 wheel alignment so far (which I guess I have as they both cost a fairly standard £25) then it would be worth going for 4 wheel alignment just to rule the rear geometry being out of kilter!

Are there any adjustable elements on the rear?

ANy advice appreciated.
    A
    [ My Cars: 2011 Caravelle SE TDI (140) LWB | 2015 L200 Barbarian 2.4 DI-D | 2015 Mini Cooper SD ]
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0
    V6 TDI Qttr | A4 3.0 TDI Qttr S-Line | S6 4.2 Qttr | A4 2.5 V6 TDI Qttr Sport | A4 1.9 TDI Qttr S-Line | A4 SE 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant | 2.0 TFSI Roadster ]
    [ Past VWs: Mk1 GTI Cab | Mk3 2.0 Cab |
    Mk3 VR6 | Mk4 R32 | Mk4 V6 MoFo | Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI| Mk4 Supercharged 2.0 6-speed | VW Touran 2.0 TDI DSG ]

0 0 0