Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdchristy View Post
    I've not been able to get mine to stop leaking for more than a few months at a time. When I was looking at options for getting it replaced, I found there are no cassettes in the UK at the moment, and then I found a place locally, in Surrey, who claim they know what the fault is, and have fixed lots of them (different makes and models) permanently. Apparently the different parts of the cassette come apart from each other and they can strip and refit the whole thing with something more like windscreen glue.

It's (much) cheaper than a new cassette and whilst I won't know for a while (booked next weekend) if it works, it might help some others too (although a long way from Norway!).

Surrey Sunroofs - Aftermarket Sunroof Installation & Repair |

Their Google reviews give me hope too
    Thats interesting! I may send them a e-mail and hope they can give me some tips. I really dont see the need for those two springs. Wondering to just fill all gaps into the headliner - all water should then go to the drains (?)

0 0 0

2. Re: Panoramic sunroof leak? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dropbox - Snapchat-412215589.jpg - Simplify your life

When trying to simulate, adding water from the top of the roof, the water goes clearly in the main channel towards the drain hole. The only place I can think is to the right into the direction of the spring area (red arrow in picture). May be the place to glue?

0 0 0

3. Re: Panoramic sunroof leak? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I also had a leaking panoramic sunroof in my -16 C7.5 allroad. Apparently there are multiple locations for possible leaks, one I've heard of is the seam between the cassette and the wind deflector, also cracked cassettes occur. In my case the the fault was in the main seal that goes around the whole thing. The part was relatively cheap, but labour was the thing as the whole roof lining & cassette had to be removed for replacing the seal.

0 0 0

4. Re: Panoramic sunroof leak? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua-tracey1 View Post
    Both sides of the sunroof leaking in. Driver side is a slightly slower leak. Going from someone else's recommendation I bought captain tolleys sealer which runs into the cracks and seals itself after a few applications. And have just applied once now to both sides. Because the sealer is so watery it has been going into the car.. (id rather that for 2 days to fix it than a soaking wet carpet). From testing it to see where it's leaking through I found that in the photo, it's getting in where the sealant has filled up there slightly. Through a join from the plastic part to aluminium. Fingers crossed after a few coats I see some improvements

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I might have some good news for you all suffering with this A6 C7 pan-roof leaking issue.
    My passenger side has been leaking for sometime now >12mths. I’ve followed this thread, bought the captain tolleys and was about to use, but I had a deeper look.

if you shine a light under the other end of the spring where you have applied the tolleys, you can see a clear gap through to the headliner. Pour water in there, and it flows out exactly on the A post with the signature flow mark. That hole is meant to be there. It hasn’t appeared over time, or through wear and tear.

I also find, my fabric windshield is also wet through. The simple fact is, water should not be getting into that side of the wrap around wind deflector and where it resides when the roof is shut, and where those springs are. The issue is, the water is running into there somehow, and I am hoping I am sure what it is.

When you shut the roof, the front slides down and shuts the wind deflector. I am guessing, that over time, the corner of the wind deflector folds into the channel where the water is meant to flow, into the gutter essentially. I have just stopped my roof in the close direction as the deflector has started to be compressed. With my finger, I’ve tapped the deflector sides inwards, taking it out of the gutter.

Might be a small pain going forward, taping the sides in after use, but I can’t see it being anything else. It also helps that I once worked at Webasto. Fingers crossed, give it a try folks and please report back on how this simple/free approach goes.

0 2 0

5. Re: Panoramic sunroof leak? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've just come across this thread after buying my first A6 C7 with a sunroof and over worrying about it

Anyway, i had a look at mine (even though it doesnt leak).
    It seems there are a couple of sealant blobs applied around the spring behind the deflector (see image).
    I cant see these on the image in the previous post? Are these missing on yours?

PXL_20221126_123414911.jpg

0 0 0

6. Re: Panoramic sunroof leak? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've just come across this thread after buying my first A6 C7 with a sunroof and over worrying about it

Anyway, i had a look at mine (even though it doesnt leak).
    It seems there are a couple of sealant blobs applied around the spring behind the deflector (see image).
    I cant see these on the image in the previous post? Are these missing on yours?

PXL_20221126_123414911.jpg

There is a dark coloured salant between this and the inside of the frame.
    Then a lighter coloured sealant applied close to the hinge

0 0 0

7. Re: Panoramic sunroof leak? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Has any body noticed the leak starts after fitting roofbars. My 2013 Alltrack was fixed under the original warranty (within 3 years) and I hadn't needed to put the roofbars on for 5 years - as soon as I did the leak was back. Hopefully Capt Tolleys worked his magic and if so I'm going to avoid the roofbars.

0 0 0

8. Re: Panoramic sunroof leak? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    No mine doesn’t have any of the retro fitting works you have shown. The black sealant blob looks like it is sat on the rubber docking guide for when the roof comes back in to close. This does look remedial and I’m gonna guess the previous owner has had trouble, sorry to say.

I would say that this sealant is trying to stop water getting into the wind deflector home position. As I said above, if water does encroach the deflector home position and spring recess (where Tolley’s is applied in the original post) it will enter the cabin all day long via the hole under the high point of leaf spring… and from the roof design, this is a feature that has always been there and my car didn’t leak originally.

The only variable in all of this to me is the tension in the sides of the wind deflector through age, and which way it chooses to lay when the roof is closed. It has rained a bit over the last 2 days, and since the intervention of my finger (mickey flannigan &#129315 I’ve remained dry and presently it has been constant.

The other supporting fact is that it starts on both sides. My theory is, water has reservoired in the deflector home space after being channelled by the WD edges, and it flows left/passenger and right/driver. I think my passenger problem (majority), driver (minority) is because of the UK LH driving and roundabouts.

0 0 0

9. Re: Panoramic sunroof leak? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Further to my post about the roof bars I should make it clear that the leak was in the sunroof. It has just rained heavily and I am bone dry thanks to Captain Tolley but in particular to the Yeti owner who prepared the superb .pdf guide. When I got my 2013 Alltrack it replaced a non sunroof 2002 Passat the roof bars not causing any problems. I found that these existing bars "fitted" the Alltrack however I am certain that these not for model bars tended to twist or pull the roof rails causing the much talked about seal to fail. It would interesting to know if anyone else had leaks that started after fitting roof bars.

0 0 0

10. Re: Panoramic sunroof leak? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by One1ship View Post
    No mine doesn’t have any of the retro fitting works you have shown. The black sealant blob looks like it is sat on the rubber docking guide for when the roof comes back in to close. This does look remedial and I’m gonna guess the previous owner has had trouble, sorry to say.

I would say that this sealant is trying to stop water getting into the wind deflector home position. As I said above, if water does encroach the deflector home position and spring recess (where Tolley’s is applied in the original post) it will enter the cabin all day long via the hole under the high point of leaf spring… and from the roof design, this is a feature that has always been there and my car didn’t leak originally.

The only variable in all of this to me is the tension in the sides of the wind deflector through age, and which way it chooses to lay when the roof is closed. It has rained a bit over the last 2 days, and since the intervention of my finger (mickey flannigan &#129315 I’ve remained dry and presently it has been constant.

The other supporting fact is that it starts on both sides. My theory is, water has reservoired in the deflector home space after being channelled by the WD edges, and it flows left/passenger and right/driver. I think my passenger problem (majority), driver (minority) is because of the UK LH driving and roundabouts.
    Sounds plausible.
    I've only the car about 6 weeks but no issues so far (fingers crossed).
    I would note that mine A6 was imported from Japan with full audi service history. Perhaps, if it went back to Audi in Japan due to this issue, the Japanese Audi tech's had an alternative solution with the sealant to stop water getting to the deflector home position

0 0 0

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast